• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No I've quite openly criticised Head's technique. My nickname for him is concrete feet. But a poor technique doesn't mean much in the face of runs, and head has been second most consistent batsmen over the last two years.

Even now when he's doing poorly in England (which was predictable) he's still getting a few runs.

He's no Smith and his feet don't move properly but he is a talent and that's obvious to anyone who has watched him for a decent amount of time.
Based mostly on a home series against a 2nd-string side touring minnows

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
No I've quite openly criticised Head's technique. My nickname for him is concrete feet. But a poor technique doesn't mean much in the face of runs, and head has been second most consistent batsmen over the last two years.
There's a huge gap between "poor technique" and "technical flaws".

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I wouldn't drop Warner yet. This series' failure is likely to make him go ballistic in the home summer.

aussie tragic

International Captain
For Aussies to win the series, Warner needs to go. As Bancroft and Harris have both also failed in their 2 Tests each, Khawaja needs to be given the chance to open. Super Sub Labuschagne to pick up the slack.

Khawaja
Labuschagne
Wade
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Not really serious, but can't do worse than opening with 2 of Warner, Harris and Bancroft. If only we had another opener who averages 40 and scores a century every 4 tests?

Niall

International Coach
That went on to beat South Africa. In their backyard. Something we couldn’t do.
Australia were 28/3 batting first v Lanka when he had that monster partnership with Burns so you can't call those runs soft whatsoever.

Who knows what would have happened if Australia never got that partnership?

Lanka for all their flaws did win a series in South Africa 2-0 right after it.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
For Aussies to win the series, Warner needs to go. As Bancroft and Harris have both also failed in their 2 Tests each, Khawaja needs to be given the chance to open. Super Sub Labuschagne to pick up the slack.

Khawaja
Labuschagne
Wade
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Not really serious, but can't do worse than opening with 2 of Warner, Harris and Bancroft. If only we had another opener who averages 40 and scores a century every 4 tests?
Any team with Marsh in it is a total joke.

the big bambino

International Captain
Sri Lanka lost 2-0

cool story, but irrelevant. The same team can play very differently in different series. There was a lot of talk at the time about how SL turned it around in SA after being truly woeful in Aus
Ok they're crap bcos we bounced them 2 blot. But they're still crap when they bounced SA 2 blot. Sure buddy ... sure.

TheJediBrah

Ok they're crap bcos we bounced them 2 blot. But they're still crap when they bounced SA 2 blot. Sure buddy ... sure.
We were having this exact same discussion here at the time. Did you even watch either of the series? SL were atrocious in Australia, with a 2nd string bowling attack too. They were transformed the way they played in SA. I'm sorry if the facts don't suit what you want them to.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri Lanka put up a fight like the English did in this test - they were gutsy but outclassed.

the big bambino

International Captain
We were having this exact same discussion here at the time. Did you even watch either of the series? SL were atrocious in Australia, with a 2nd string bowling attack too. They were transformed the way they played in SA. I'm sorry if the facts don't suit what you want them to.
Ha. When you say facts you mean jedifacts. Not really the same thing. We outplayed SL that's all. You called them minnows. Minnows don't blot SA away at the next opportunity. If you're not gonna let facts get in the way of a good story can you at least make your story good.

morgieb

Sri Lanka put up a fight like the English did in this test - they were gutsy but outclassed.
This seems generous. They actually had us on the back foot a bit at Canberra, but when Burns and Head got something going they basically forgot how to bowl. I admit they probably lacked the tools to bowl well on flat Aussie decks but I wouldn't really say they were gutsy.

TheJediBrah

Ha. When you say facts you mean jedifacts. Not really the same thing. We outplayed SL that's all. You called them minnows. Minnows don't blot SA away at the next opportunity. If you're not gonna let facts get in the way of a good story can you at least make your story good.
you're really not listening at all are you? I watched nearly every ball of the SL v Aus series, and SL were terrible. They had moments with the ball but they were few and far between. That's why I called them minnows, because they played like minnows. And I'll repeat for the 3rd time in 3 posts: They did not play the same in SA.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Any team with Marsh in it is a total joke.
Get your head out of the sand. Cummins was obviously fatigued in this test after 4 games in such a short time frame and Hazlewood will be playing his 4th in even quicker time. Lyon is bowling pies and has an injured spin finger.

Marsh is needed as a 5th bowler and his batting has to be an improvement over what Warner, Bancroft or Harris has produced.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rather just play Pattinson as the all rounder than Marsh. Pattinson at least would be good with one of his disciplines.

But really we shouldn't be looking to sacrifice any batting strength at all in the last test.

the big bambino

International Captain
If the Oval has true bounce and good pace you might risk Marsh who atleast has improved enough to be able to block a straight one.

TheJediBrah

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Marsh at all. But not at the expense of Wade, who I think had shown promise. Bit of a tough one.