• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Wonder if Harris' failures will save Warner from being dropped?

Goes without saying Warner has had a nightmare of a series but I reckon the Oz leadership group would be reluctant to drop him for multiple reasons, in part because they know he'll still be good on Oz pitches away from Broad.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
My T5 line-up
Khawaja
Harris
Labu
The Aspie Champ
MMarsh
Paine
Starc
Pattinson
Cummins
Haze
Lyon

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can people please stop talking about Puckovski until, without in anyway sledging the kid, he plays at least a full season and a half without needing a mental health break. If he’s got those sort of issues he is in no way equipped to play test cricket until he’s well over them.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Absolutely not. If you haven't led your state, you shouldn't be even remotely considered to lead your country.

The whole idea is a complete non starter as far as I am concerned
I'm not arguing that it's an ideal or conventional situation, clearly. I'm not advocating for the idea.

My point is, Smith or Warner may not captain again depending on the whims of CA/the public. Khawaja is in/out now, and shouldn't captain anyway. Head hasn't convinced me he is a long term test batsmen yet. MMarsh isn't in the team. Wade is old and his spot isn't secure long term. Paine hasn't had a great run with the bat til this test and is only an injury away at his age I don't think bowlers should be captains long term.

If the current captain (Paine) was injured or dropped, he'd likely be replaced with Carey. I think he's as valid a candidate as any to replace him as permanent captain. The only other real option (Smith/Warner discounted) is Head, and personally I'd like to see him replaced by Patterson or Pukovski in the near future.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My T5 line-up
Khawaja
Harris
Labu
The Aspie Champ
MMarsh
Paine
Starc
Pattinson
Cummins
Haze
Lyon
Hopefully not, if we need to win. Assuming you think Marsh will offer more than Head or Wade with the bat, because we don't need his bowling if we're gonna go in with four frontline quicks plus Lyon.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My T5 line-up
Khawaja
Harris
Labu
The Aspie Champ
MMarsh
Paine
Starc
Pattinson
Cummins
Haze
Lyon
My T5 team

1 Finch
2 Lynn
3 Maxwell
4 Turner
5 Carey
6 Philippe
7 Coulter-Nile
8 JRichardson
9 KRichardson
10 Zampa
11 Stanlake

12 Short

I wouldnt pick anyone on the current Ashes tour.

Behrendorff unlucky but in a 5 over format, NCN could potentially bowl a decent over plus better hitter and fielder.

When is this game being played anyway?

Z

TheJediBrah

My T5 team

1 Finch
2 Lynn
3 Maxwell
4 Turner
5 Carey
6 Philippe
7 Coulter-Nile
8 JRichardson
9 KRichardson
10 Zampa
11 Stanlake

12 Short

I wouldnt pick anyone on the current Ashes tour.

Behrendorff unlucky but in a 5 over format, NCN could potentially bowl a decent over plus better hitter and fielder.

When is this game being played anyway?

Z
Decent team. Given that each bowler will presumably only bowl 1 over you really need 5 genuine bowlers.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not arguing that it's an ideal or conventional situation, clearly. I'm not advocating for the idea.

My point is, Smith or Warner may not captain again depending on the whims of CA/the public. Khawaja is in/out now, and shouldn't captain anyway. Head hasn't convinced me he is a long term test batsmen yet. MMarsh isn't in the team. Wade is old and his spot isn't secure long term. Paine hasn't had a great run with the bat til this test and is only an injury away at his age I don't think bowlers should be captains long term.

If the current captain (Paine) was injured or dropped, he'd likely be replaced with Carey. I think he's as valid a candidate as any to replace him as permanent captain. The only other real option (Smith/Warner discounted) is Head, and personally I'd like to see him replaced by Patterson or Pukovski in the near future.
I see your point, the cupboard is certainly pretty bare, but as far as I see it not having state leadership experience is too big of an issue. I guess we are never going to agree on that one.

As for Head's future, only time will tell, I obviously hope he can be able to cement his spot for some time. Do certainly rate Kurtis Patterson though, would quite like to see him back around the side

TheJediBrah

I would like to see KPat have a crack at the opening position, given how poorly our openers have done this series, and despite him never really playing there in domestic cricket. I think he's got the game to do it and reminds me a lot of Simon Katich who became a very successful Test opener (averaging nearly 50 IIRC) despite being a middle order batsman his whole career.

I'd prefer him in the middle order but a spot might not open up there

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How about this TJB

1 U Khawaja
2 J Burns
3 K Patterson
4 S Smith
5 M Labuschagne
6 T Head

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dont think 6 suits his game though, despite his last Test ton. I want my 6 to have a couple of more gears and I think generally he is more comfortable inside the top 4.

I do realize what you are saying though: ML SS TH KP is probably more likely a 3-6.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
And if you're getting picked for a state side at age 17/18 you've probably got something special about you regardless of your stats.
Head getting picked at 17/18 was no more than a reflection of the dire state of SouthAustralian cricket.
Well that's completely obvious just by watching him bat though. He does well in spite of his technique.
Yet, you continue to talk about him like he’s the second coming of Mike Hussey.
Hopefully not, if we need to win. Assuming you think Marsh will offer more than Head or Wade with the bat, because we don't need his bowling if we're gonna go in with four frontline quicks plus Lyon.
It’s a sad pretty reflection on the current state of batting line-up when you pick players with the hope they’ll make a scratchy thirty, something Head seems incapable of atm.

TheJediBrah

How about this TJB

1 U Khawaja
2 J Burns
3 K Patterson
4 S Smith
5 M Labuschagne
6 T Head
I like it quite a bit. Khawaja has blown his credit at no.3 and a go as starting opener should be his last chance. I can see Khawaja and Burns going big at home against the weaker sides we're getting this summer too, but worry that they aren't long term options, especially playing overseas.

I doubt I'll ever be sold on Head but he just needs more chances to show those who rate him how ordinary he really is. Wade has shown more than Head this tour, and Wade is exactly the type of player who could go nuts at no. 6 at home. He can make that run-a-ball 80 that you often need from a no. 6.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just realised we may have a Qld top 3 next season to go with the NSW bowling squad.

1. Burns
2. Khawaja
3. Labuschagne
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Head getting picked at 17/18 was no more than a reflection of the dire state of SouthAustralian cricket.

Yet, you continue to talk about him like he’s the second coming of Mike Hussey.

It’s a sad pretty reflection on the current state of batting line-up when you pick players with the hope they’ll make a scratchy thirty, something Head seems incapable of atm.
No I've quite openly criticised Head's technique. My nickname for him is concrete feet. But a poor technique doesn't mean much in the face of runs, and head has been second most consistent batsmen over the last two years.

Even now when he's doing poorly in England (which was predictable) he's still getting a few runs.

He's no Smith and his feet don't move properly but he is a talent and that's obvious to anyone who has watched him for a decent amount of time.