• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

80W53R

Cricket Spectator
What the batting line up needs is to grow a pair. Good bowling is just that, but patience is the key. Hameed is welcome to come and play down here anytime he likes.
I notice you didn't find fault with the rest of my team. It's out there and has lots of utility, something that's sadly lacking in tomorrow 1 dimensional team.

80W53R

Cricket Spectator
Hes a class opener, a proper test batsman. If he never broke his finger in India he would be a well established England player. I like him and he is better to open than Jason. In all honesty I was fishing around to create a strong potential test winning side, something the selectors seemed to have failed to do.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure why Curran is being over-rated as much as he seems to be. Still feels to me a bits and pieces player who is nowhere near good enough with bat or ball - going back to the errors of the 90s where this sort of player were regularly picked.
Perhaps some folks are swayed by his vital runs in the wins at Edgbaston and Southampton last year; on both occasions rescuing innings in tough circumstances after the top order had failed badly. Agreed that his bowling is at best 4th seamer standard and that's a problem, especially if Stokes is having an off day with the ball. But in terms of overall package, your comparison with the 90s bits and pieces players is rather odd unless I've forgotten similar innings from the likes of Irani, Ealham, Hollioake, Watkinson or whoever else we picked in those days. Not just in terms of the number of runs scored, but more importantly the circumstances in which they were scored. fwiw I don't think Curran's bowling is good enough to be joint 3rd seamer with Stokes, despite his occasional golden arm moments. And unless he's injured, Woakes is unlucky in how he's been treated by Root and unlucky to be dropped.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Curran is 21 years old and has already played a crucial role to winning Test matches for England, pretty ridiculous to compare him to one of those 90s players. Does not mean they should pick him of course, if Stokes did not exist then you would have him at 7 and we would be the 5th bowler.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Woakes has bowled that well, his figures are fine but this is a heavily bowler friendly series. Something has seemed strange ever since he did not bowl on that 4th morning at Edgbaston. Are we sure he has not got an injury or is it the World Cup factor?

BSM

U19 Cricketer
What the batting line up needs is to grow a pair. Good bowling is just that, but patience is the key. Hameed is welcome to come and play down here anytime he likes.
I notice you didn't find fault with the rest of my team. It's out there and has lots of utility, something that's sadly lacking in tomorrow 1 dimensional team.
It was the most glaring selection in the team at least. Butler being kept in favour of Bairstow with Ali returning is also very, very bizarre imo, considering he is just about a no.9 these days. Roy at 3 is equally so.

Big changes won't be made until after the series now I reckon but I have a feeling both Denly and Roy will end up out of the team come the winter tours. I think Butler will end up keeping his place by scoring a significant 50+ score in the next two tests (which isn't to necessarily to say that 1 50+ score means that he deserves his spot. Pope and Sibly to get into the team as their replacements.

In general the NZ tour is going to see a lot of experimental picks in the side. Iirc there were rumours that England might even rest Root, which I imagine means the likes of Stokes and Bairstow could get rested too. Could be an interesting series for selections and debuts

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Woakes has bowled that well, his figures are fine but this is a heavily bowler friendly series. Something has seemed strange ever since he did not bowl on that 4th morning at Edgbaston. Are we sure he has not got an injury or is it the World Cup factor?
Woakes has been the biggest disappointment this series. Leading into it he was being considered one of England's key players but he has underperformed hugely with both bat and ball.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Nice reading this morning that Australia now have Smith and Cummins as the #1 batsman and #1 bowler which is the first time since 2006 when we had Ponting and McGrath :)

Ulzan69

Banned
Woakes Left out really big news

Stats that matter most

England last won an Ashes Test at Old Trafford in 1981, when Ian Botham hit a 102-ball 118 in a 103-run victory.

Seamers have outperformed spinners at Old Trafford in the past ten years, averaging 27.62 compared to 39.21.

No English ground has a higher scoring rate in Tests than Old Trafford in the last decade (3.46 runs per over).

David Warner averages 39.51 against right-arm seamers from around the wicket in Tests, compared to 58.63 over the wicket.

Craig Overton and Jack Leach have played together 48 times in first-class cricket for Somerset, winning 18 and losing only nine of those games.

Ulzan69

Banned
Nice reading this morning that Australia now have Smith and Cummins as the #1 batsman and #1 bowler which is the first time since 2006 when we had Ponting and McGrath :)
Chiku & Smity only 1 point
diffrance but Cummins well Ahead

india will play 5 test in india soon so
chiku will bounce back
��

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chiku & Smity only 1 point

india will play 5 test in india soon so
chiku will bounce back
��
Can't see the logic here. Smith has managed to get back to no.1 despite playing no Test cricket for 18 months, and he has a home summer coming up as well. Smart money would be on Smith heavily increasing his lead rather than the other way around.

Ulzan69

Banned
Can't see the logic here. Smith has managed to get back to no.1 despite playing no Test cricket for 18 months, and he has a home summer coming up as well. Smart money would be on Smith heavily increasing his lead rather than the other way around.
That is how Icc's Logic worked
as Kohli out for 0 so Smith gained that extra point but hey he already now 366 in ashes

Last edited:

Ulzan69

Banned
TheJediBrah

Root with that innings jumped from #9 to #6 only 1 position behind mark Nichollas in test ranking

Last edited: