• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Siddle would be the worst selection possible. Starc proved in the tour match that he can dial it back and bowl line and length. What dirt does Siddle have on the selectors?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I'll be batting an entire session myself if Ulzan posts prodigiously with that avatar.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely Starc over Siddle. Team looks a lot stronger with Smith coming back and Lamborghini also doing well. Starc Cummins Hazlewood and Lyon combination will further strengthen it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Starc did what was asked of him in the tour match. Bowl tight up front and then unleash later. Much better option than Siddle.

Woodster

International Captain
As an Essex fan I'm obviously a big fan of Peter Siddle, but seems a curious choice should the Aussies go with him over Starc for this Test. It just seems like the right time to bring Starc in, he'll be champing at the bit, he's got a few overs and wickets under his belt in the tour match, Cummins and Hazelwood aren't generally conceding many runs so Starc can just run in and bowl quick. If there's a bit of swing about he'll be all the more tricky to negotiate. He may concede a few runs but he's surely going to be more penetrative than Siddle.

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As a neutral, I think Usman Khawaja and Mitchell Starc are probably the best players in this XI after Smith, Warner, Cummins, and Lyon. Khawaja looks a class apart from the likes of Wade and Travis Head imo, and one of those two should have made way for him if they wanted to bring more right handers into the team. With Smith coming back in, and Marnus playing so well it had to be between these 3 and I think just because Wade/Head made some runs in the second innings at Lords doesn't mean they're more likely to score runs in the future than Khawaja.

Starc > Siddle any day. England would much much rather be playing Siddle than facing the possibility of Starc running through their top/tail.

FBU

International Debutant
As a neutral, I think Usman Khawaja and Mitchell Starc are probably the best players in this XI after Smith, Warner, Cummins, and Lyon. Khawaja looks a class apart from the likes of Wade and Travis Head imo, and one of those two should have made way for him if they wanted to bring more right handers into the team. With Smith coming back in, and Marnus playing so well it had to be between these 3 and I think just because Wade/Head made some runs in the second innings at Lords doesn't mean they're more likely to score runs in the future than Khawaja.

Starc > Siddle any day. England would much much rather be playing Siddle than facing the possibility of Starc running through their top/tail.
Surprised at Head's figures over the last two years HowSTAT! Top Ten (Test)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Sounds like Overton is in for Woakes. Surprising.

Would have been well down the pecking order at the start of the summer. Injured - Anderson, Wood, Stone. Sam Curran in the squad too not selected - suggests they see him more as an allrounder option these days than bowler. Old trafford especially with a bit more bounce and less conventional swing also probably swayed it in Overton's favour.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Curran could have got in the side as a batter way some of them have played.

Overton selection makes no sense, wasn't very good down in Aus and NZ.

But hoping for extra bounce for some reason. Jimmy would have been in the side had he been fit, so why does the plan change?

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you think the wicket will be bouncy, does that mean you should pick bouncy bowlers? I’d have thought the extra bounce would be more of an advantage on flat or slow decks where not everyone can bowl a threatening bouncer or get the edges to carry.