• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in West Indies 2019

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
let us not forget the windies were very competitive in the first dig with bat and ball and showed positive signs

now give the people rakheem cornwall you coward selectors
Yeah agreed. A little bit of time provides more perspective after the fury and pain of yesterday.

Bumrah deliveries to Hope and Holder would have got any right hander out anywhere. Absolutely unplayable stuff. You just hold your hands up and say well bowled Jasprit.

But there are still some things we need to look at.

1)Team management/selection. They are making common sense defying errors and refusing to admit they got it wrong. Picking Cummins and Brooks was disastrous and there appears to be little rationale outside of their nationality. Reifer has overseen disaster after disaster and must not be allowed to destroy our test teams progress.

2) Top order batting. They have been failing for too long. It's getting to the point where Kraigg has to shape up or ship out. Bravo must also be on thin ice. They are amongst the best we have but I feel a full FC season would do them both the world of good.

3) Captaincy. Holder has been great for our test team but he got pretty much everything wrong in this test. Let's hope it was a one off.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How long does Bumrah need before he's numero uno of Indian quicks? He's simply a freak.

Beamer

How long does Bumrah need before he's numero uno of Indian quicks? He's simply a freak.
He is totally unique in generating pace from that run up and getting the ball to swing out from that angle. If he keeps yesterday's standard up he will break all sorts of records against every team.

h_hurricane

Already belongs to the top 2-3 for me. I would rate Kapil higher for now for sheer longevity. Probably 200 wickets is the break even point to rate Jasprit higher. Wouldn't have a problem if anyone already rates him higher:) A freak as you said.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Yep. I doubt it applies to anyone in this thread, but if you haven't seen the spell, go to YouTube and watch it. I was just following the scorecard as it was happening thinking "oh you useless bleeps" as the Windies crumbled, but then I watched the highlights later and was very glad I did. It was getting close to unplayable, so I have some sympathy for the batsmen. You'd need to be in top form to survive that. (Except for Brathwaite's dismissal, which was a miserable poke at a wide one...) Ishant was getting a lot of swing at the other end as well so it wasn't easy. What balls are they using ? I haven't seen so much swing in a test match for ages.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

Yep. I doubt it applies to anyone in this thread, but if you haven't seen the spell, go to YouTube and watch it. I was just following the scorecard as it was happening thinking "oh you useless bleeps" as the Windies crumbled, but then I watched the highlights later and was very glad I did. It was getting close to unplayable, so I have some sympathy for the batsmen. You'd need to be in top form to survive that. (Except for Brathwaite's dismissal, which was a miserable poke at a wide one...) Ishant was getting a lot of swing at the other end as well so it wasn't easy. What balls are they using ? I haven't seen so much swing in a test match for ages.
A bowler swinging into the batsmen and the guy at the other end swinging away is devastating for the batsmen. You need to be not just a top batsman but with loads of luck to survive anything like it. This is already the best trio of pacers india ever had. This team is going through an unprecedented period of gold class swing and quick bowling.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In terms of just ability he is numero uno already. No Indian quick has bowled like he has in the last year over such a varied set of conditions. New ball, old ball, seam (sort of) , swing, he's used everything flawlessly so far in his career.

All he needs to actually surpass the others is keep this up for a couple more years. If he does that, I'll happily rate him higher than them even if he breaks his collarbone and averages 50 for another 5 years.

Burner

International Regular
If Bumrah has a long career and isn't hampered by injuries, I think he'll end up with a career average of <25 and will inarguably be India's greatest pacer.

Was game breaking yesterday.

Burner

International Regular
Kohli has many frailities as a captain but his treatment of the pacers these past few years deserves high praise.

Beamer

The difference between the two bowling attacks was that India were relentless.

There were phases where Roach was unplayable and Rahane has an awful lot of luck, as did Kohli and Vihari. But they got through it and then feasted on Cummins and part time spinners.

Whereas there just seemed no way out of the hole we were in because after Bumrah and Ishant came Shami bowling pretty well himself. It was very impressive.

Beamer

Thinking of the next test, Sabina usually has a bit in it for everyone. I don't think we can afford wholesale changes in the middle of a series, so I'd simply bring in Cornwall and Dowrich.

So a return to a normal balance but with a decent spinner.

Brathwaite (on report)
Campbell
Hope (on report)
Bravo (on report)
Chase
Hetmeyer
Dowrich (wk)
Holder
Cornwall
Roach
Gabriel

Reserves:

Keemo Paul
Shamarh Brooks

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Watching Ishant, Bumrah and Shami bowl is such a sight for Indian eyes. Happy to see Ishant improve his average every game. Would love to see him get closer to 30. And what would I not give for another crack at SA and England away. Won't say we will win in England but it will be so good to watch especially if ****ing Sam Curran doesn't play.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
He bowled it quite a bit in the England series last year as well (damn it, we should have won that series). Keaton Jennings had some lol-worthy dismissals to it.
We lost it 4-1 and still we feel it was oh so close. **** you Sam Curran.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
In our last test series we thrashed England so let's not go too overboard with the criticism.

Our batting is quite poor and they came up against a force of nature today.

Tbh I'm more disappointed with the soft dismissals in the first innings and the nonsensical team management decisions before and during the match.
A West Indian calling an Indian pacer a force of nature. Now I have seen it all. :)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched the long highlights. Just the sort of bowling I like to see, full, swinging and hitting the stumps.

The other notable thing was that Campbell chucks.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
What happened to Holder? Did he bowl really badly? Has a 20 odd bowling average for past 2 years in WI but struggled to buy a wicket this test.