• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He doesn't seem very well suited to the pitch, and possibly English conditions in general.
Yeah I had a feeling this would be the case re: English conditions, though I think he'll be more effective on a grassier surface.

This does seem a great pitch for England to aim for, though. Fairly low, and if a pacer can get something out of it it tends to come from swing than bounce.

Oh god, now a drop (though that realistically couldn't be taken)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not that I think Paine has done anything egregiously bad, but how long before Smith just gets the captaincy back?
I don't think the media in either country would accept it. One of their toilet-grade newspapers carried the headline that he should have been banned for life two days a go, even though an armless man can count the reasons on his fingers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Do we need to have a quick and spinner bowling in partnership the whole time? I want to see two quicks bowling in tandem.

mr_mister

Broad really seems to lift with the bat against Australia. 2 of his 3 fifties this decade have been against us

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
None of them seemed to actually put any thought into it, or make plans and study the opposition.
Interesting point, and probably why an attack that looks great on paper isn't quite as effective as what it should be (though they also play on a higher proportion of flatter decks than the rest of the world).

Flem274*

123/5
smith actually needs to pull his head in here on the taking over skippering stuff, because he isn't a skippers arsehole. clarke, ponting, waugh would not have allowed cape town. warner would be face down in a river somewhere if either of those 3 caught him in the position smith found him.

Starfighter

Might help but he's got so, so little movement this test. Least of any bowler.
Not like I haven't noticed. As I said he used to have a beautiful outswinger (and complementary movement back) years ago, but he can't even angle the seam anymore. If it was grassy though just landing it on the seam would be fine, it's how all the county trundlers do it.

Starfighter

Interesting point, and probably why an attack that looks great on paper isn't quite as effective as what it should be (though they also play on a higher proportion of flatter decks than the rest of the world).
I think the awful pitches that have been served up in Australia for years now actually contribute to this, because just bowling that length at pace all day is the best strategy, but I think there's an awful arrogance in our current cricketing culture that says we don't need to research and plan.

The fact that Paine is a hopeless captain doesn't help.

stephen

Nether Woakes nor Broad even look remotely like being dismissed. They look like proper batsmen too.