• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He was a genuine number 11 averaging about 8 until a couple of years ago. Has scored a few 30's and a couple of 50's since so has clearly worked hard at it.
You're not wrong mate.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...tting-hard-yards-jack-leach-maiden-test-fifty

I'm happy with Leach transforming into a latter day version of Wilfred Rhodes, who I think is the only player to have become a regular test opener for us after beginning life at number 11. Clearly he's read my comment about the need for a pinch blocker at the top of the order and good luck to him. It makes a rare treat to see one of our guys actually improving his batting instead of allowing it to deteriorate.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez, I really wanted Rory Burns to succeed and he absolutely banged the door down to earn his shot but being outbatted by a genuine tailender is not a good look.

Didn't capitalise on some starts when he was in the form of his life and now seems to be struggling amongst a fairly middling CC season thus far. Can't imagine Cummins is losing too much sleep over having to bowl at him.

Yeah, he's been completely our of sorts for Surrey this season; classic case of a fall-back in domestic cricket after a disappointing start to a test career. There really is no way he should be playing at Edgbaston next week.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're not wrong mate.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...tting-hard-yards-jack-leach-maiden-test-fifty

I'm happy with Leach transforming into a latter day version of Wilfred Rhodes, who I think is the only player to have become a regular test opener for us after beginning life at number 11. Clearly he's read my comment about the need for a pinch blocker at the top of the order and good luck to him. It makes a rare treat to see one of our guys actually improving his batting instead of allowing it to deteriorate.
"Pinch misser" would be a much more accurate description of what he did this morning.

Plenty of good shots since though.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
"Pinch misser" would be a much more accurate description of what he did this morning.

Plenty of good shots since though.
Accurate new-ball swing bowling, even good players are going to miss plenty. Don't think it was that out-of-the-ordinary tbh.

It's been a remarkable innings really.

trundler

Leach has been around for over a 110 balls, damn. This isn't your standard tailender swing.

Uppercut

Accurate new-ball swing bowling, even good players are going to miss plenty. Don't think it was that out-of-the-ordinary tbh.

It's been a remarkable innings really.
I was being semi-serious tbh. If surviving the opening spell is largely down to luck then why would you risk an actual batsman on it?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
But why pick Moeen when the better bowler will do a better job long term. Not like with Archer coming in to the side his batting is as important anyway as he has played like a prick for ages.
moeen has 95 test wickets in england at 31 a piece.

leach will have to go some to do better than that.

abroad leach is probably the go to man now.

King Pietersen

International Captain
As soon as there's any hint of movement Roy looks all at sea.

Adair looks handy tbf though. Really good seam position, moves it both ways, accurate, reasonable pace, very tidy bowler.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As I missed the Ireland innings due to an anniversary trip to Sandown Park, how was our bowling? Catching sneaky peaks at the Guardian commentary suggested, to quote, that Broad was our best bowler, Stones had something about him, Woakes was dreadful and Curran got lucky. Leach's figures suggest he was poor too. Is that about right?

Uppercut

As I missed the Ireland innings due to an anniversary trip to Sandown Park, how was our bowling? Catching sneaky peaks at the Guardian commentary suggested, to quote, that Broad was our best bowler, Stones had something about him, Woakes was dreadful and Curran got lucky. Leach's figures suggest he was poor too. Is that about right?
I thought Stones was the best bowler by a distance. Broad's opening spell was trash.

vcs

Leach is going to be another annoying addition to England's never ending lower order trolls.