• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder what the chances Amla and Faf stay around? Pretty demoralising for them and they may not what to continue onto what will be a tough tour of India? Maybe not a bad thing with Amla, but losing Faf may hurt from a transitional point of view.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hoping our worst ever world cup is a water-shed moment. Following on from a 2-0 home test series loss to Sri Lanka, thrashings against England home and away + thrashings to India away.

Things need to be looked at from top to bottom.
I think the biggest issue is probably the coaching at the lower levels. Maybe the SA 'A' level and franchise level. Need to improve the coaching structures in SA. Not that I am an expert or know much about it really.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Only Rabada, Morris and Phehlukwayo get passes for me today. Rabada and Morris in particular were excellent with the ball. Phehlukwayo was good support. But Tahir and Shamsi were off the mark. Shamsi in particular was really disappointing. I don't think he strung two overs of pressure together.

The game was probably gone by then but that Miller drop was terrible. It says more about the psyche of the team than anything else.

As for the batting, there isn't much that we can do for now is there? Happy that Lucky keeps digging in. Rabada batted as well as I have seen and Morris once again frustrating us by showing us what he can do on a good day.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the two spinners thing definitely didn't work. It was probably a better idea than playing all three norounders - I would have done the same - but Hendricks definitely has to play the next game.

In defence of both spinners it's particularly hard for spinners to bowl well when defending a low total, but that's a feature rather than a bug of the current batting lineup anyway; it just re-emphasises the fact that they can't both play unless it's going to rag square.

StephenZA

Yeah the two spinners thing definitely didn't work. It was probably a better idea than playing all three norounders - I would have done the same - but Hendricks definitely has to play the next game.

In defence of both spinners it's particularly hard for spinners to bowl well when defending a low total, but that's a feature rather than a bug of the current batting lineup anyway; it just re-emphasises the fact that they can't both play unless it's going to rag square.
Apparently does not arrive until Mon when we play WI next.

SeamUp

International Coach
We just going to have to play Andile, Morris and Hulk at 7, 8, 9 :laugh: Can't believe I am going with Pretorius to play.

I've always said it, the idea of Shamsi is nice and it might be even more v Windies but it rarely comes to reality then you add a **** fielder and a#11 with the bat and it starts getting a luxury.

Last edited:

StephenZA

I just realised that there is actually 6 games left for us? Thought it was only 5, so we still seem to be in control of our own destiny. Go back to an earlier point I made

Maybe we giving Gibson an unnecessary hard time? Maybe he is planning for us to have to win 6 'knock-out' games in a row to get us to the 'semis' so we have the practise? 9th dimension thinking anybody?
:ph34r:

StephenZA

We just going to have to play Andile, Morris and Hulk at 7, 8, 9 :laugh: Can't believe I am going with Pretorius to play.

I've always said it, the idea of Shamsi is nice and it might be even more v Windies but it rarely comes to reality then you add a **** fielder and a#11 with the bat and it starts getting a luxury.
Is Markram and Duminy together that much worse than Pretorius? Maybe just play the extra bat?

Bahseph

International Debutant
I am absolutely certain they showed Hendricks at the ground yesterday. Please don't tell me the Proteas performances have got me hallucinating!!

StephenZA

I am absolutely certain they showed Hendricks at the ground yesterday. Please don't tell me the Proteas performances have got me hallucinating!!
Could he have been there that quickly? I hope so. It was just reported early on that he would only arrive Monday and I assumed Visa issues? Maybe not and early reports where wrong.

Bahseph

International Debutant
It's either that or they had an eerily similar looking man sitting in a Protea kit with the wrong name on screen! Can we confirm this? I'd love him in the team instead of Pretorious. Windies are a bunch of hitters who feast on military medium stuff.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I just realised that there is actually 6 games left for us? Thought it was only 5, so we still seem to be in control of our own destiny. Go back to an earlier point I made

Technically we are still in it. But the performance so far has made us believe that we are already knocked out. Sigh*

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I mean, if you've only gotta finish fourth, losing three games should be perfectly fine, intuitively. There's almost no way the team that finishes fourth won't do that.

Losing to the two favourites isn't exactly disastrous either. But will the team finishes fourth lose one of them to Bangladesh though? Maybe, but probably not...

StephenZA

It's either that or they had an eerily similar looking man sitting in a Protea kit with the wrong name on screen! Can we confirm this? I'd love him in the team instead of Pretorious. Windies are a bunch of hitters who feast on military medium stuff.
You are right he apparently arrived Wednesday morning. And still an outside chance Ngidi is ready. But suspect with the way Morris bowled will continue to be given chances.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You are right he apparently arrived Wednesday morning. And still an outside chance Ngidi is ready. But suspect with the way Morris bowled will continue to be given chances.
Morris getting another game is fine I think, it's really important that Hendricks or better still Ngidi come in for Shamsi though.

StephenZA

Could this be a reverse '99 WC. Having to play Aus in final round robin game to get into semis? Then go on to win the tournament?

Think I`ve had to much coffee this morning.....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Could this be a reverse '99 WC. Having to play Aus in final round robin game to get into semis? Then go on to win the tournament?

Think I`ve had to much coffee this morning.....
Haha I'd be all about this if I thought this was actually a good team. Alas... :(