• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a tough one. I actually don't like 5/6 Duminy and Miller they have been to inconsistent I would rather see Markram in the team at 4. But it is very difficult to make a decision like that. Maybe we just leave Morris out, throw our current strategy away and let Duminy and Markram get through ten overs!

Dendarii

International Debutant
Maybe we just leave Morris out, throw our current strategy away and let Duminy and Markram get through ten overs!
Ordinarily I wouldn't want Duminy and Markram to be the fifth bowler, but if the other option is Morris that's not the worst idea.

SeamUp

International Coach
After such a heavy defeat we probably need 6 wins out of our next 8 games.

I am actually looking forward to the re-build. Think it is clear our ODI and test team batting is of massive concern. Some pro-activity would be nice.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I called the Pretorious pick but I really wasn't expecting Miller to be dropped. I know that we all agree Markram is a super talent, but if Amla had to play then I didn't see Miller as the one to miss out.

Just lost so much faith in JP. The Amla injury hurt us. He is a guy you want batting at the beginning of the innings, not the end. England and India were always going to be massive roadblocks for us. But I feel like we can beat any other team. On our good day obviously

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
QDK, Markram, Faf, VDD, Milller, Duminy, Andile, Morris, Rabada, Ngidi, Tahir

Go with this for the next game. Long tournament so you might need to rest Ngidi for a game or two - Steyn then comes in

Bahseph

International Debutant
Didn't get to watch the first innings due to work. Honest assessments on how we bowled? Can't gather much from highlights.

StephenZA

If we going to choose between Miller and Duminy then the decisions is between power at the end of the innings vs Duminy's bowling. Not about consistency or them digging us out of trouble. If they drop Markram based on performance fair enough, unfortunately none of these changes makes a lick of difference in our batting performance as we have now experienced it for the last 4 years. It is not suddenly going to come right during the WC. Rassie has been a nice unexpected surprise. Honestly I don't see anybody in the squad who will make difference (outside Steyn who would have played).

I know everybody is talking about the length of the tournament, but I hope they pick the team they want to play now and stick with it. No more chop and changing, particularly with the top 7.

StephenZA

Didn't get to watch the first innings due to work. Honest assessments on how we bowled? Can't gather much from highlights.
Ngidi started poor (was probably nervous) came back really well. Else everybody else did their jobs. Nothing spectacular nothing bad. Could feel the lack of penetration Pretorius and Andile bowling.

StephenZA

Oh and I think our tournament will be based around the Indian match, if we lose to India I don't think we make the semis.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I reckon with Markram actually showing some potential with the ball, Duminy has to be the one to go so that Miller can come in.

Obviously if they feel Amla needs a rest after that knock then Markram opens and both Duminy and Miller play.

SeamUp

International Coach
QdK and Faf have been scoring our runs. Rassie has come in and done well with his limitations.

1. Otherwise we sitting with 36 year-old Amla who passed his best even though a legend.

2.Markram no doubt talented with a high ceiling but hasn't performed in ODI cricket yet.

3. JP Duminy who is 35 and hardly played cricket in the last year and when he has , has been poor.

4. Miller is out of nick again and not reliable but at 30 I still think he is in the best possible shape to give match changing performances. Not in his best form but his career has been about patches - you try make sure he has a purple patch in this WC.

5. Phehlukwayo quietly goes about his bowling. Has mastered the art of batsmen coming at him and chipping in with wickets (behind 4 strike-bowlers) but still only has 1 50 in 44 games when batting. Whether that is through lack of a chance to score more runs but lets be honest he has had plenty opportunity to come in and score runs. At 5/6/7 you have to be able to come in backs to the wall and get a run-a-ball 50 on ocassion.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
What Stephen said.

But I hope we have learnt that Phehlukwayo and Preotrius can't play in the same team. We just lack any penetration and when they were on together it was most obvious. England set a nice platform.

To be honest, that is not how I like us to play cricket. I rather us give it a go and look to get wickets.

Faf captained well with the limitations but I have long felt Pretorius was his selection. He was not performing at domestic level and got picked. We may have lacked the right options for this role like 2015 but if we had to choose I would have taken a risk on 1 or 2 other players.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
QdK and Faf have been scoring our runs. Rassie has come in and done well with his limitations.

1. Otherwise we sitting with 36 year-old Amla who passed his best even though a legend.

2.Markram no doubt talented with a high ceiling but hasn't performed in ODI cricket yet.

3. JP Duminy who is 35 and hardly played cricket in the last year and when he has , has been poor.

4. Miller is out of nick again and not reliable but at 30 I still think he is in the best possible shape to give match changing performances. Not in his best form but his career has been about patches - you try make sure he has a purple patch in this WC.

5. Phehlukwayo quietly goes about his bowling. Has mastered the art of batsmen coming at him and chipping in with wickets (behind 4 strike-bowlers) but still only has 1 50 in 44 games. Whether that is through lack of a chance to score more runs but lets be honest he has had plenty opportunity to come in and score runs. At 5/6/7 you have to be able to come in backs to the wall and get a run-a-ball 50 on ocassion.
My view of Lucky's batting has actually changed. I think if we had a proper top 6 he'd feel a lot better, but because he comes in in tough positions too often and too much is expected. I think he's a good enough number 7 as a general rule; just not a good enough number 7 to carry a weak top 6.

I think given the situation our batting is in, we have to keep trying Markram. Duminy is flat-out sub-par these days, and we know that Markram can step up and dominate a game from his domestic performances. It's very much like a young AB - you know he's good enough but he's just not done what he can do yet. Whereas Duminy provides very little hope of pulling out a match-winning innings these days.

SeamUp

International Coach
My view of Lucky's batting has actually changed. I think if we had a proper top 6 he'd feel a lot better, but because he comes in in tough positions too often and too much is expected. I think he's a good enough number 7 as a general rule; just not a good enough number 7 to carry a weak top 6.

I think given the situation our batting is in, we have to keep trying Markram. Duminy is flat-out sub-par these days, and we know that Markram can step up and dominate a game from his domestic performances. It's very much like a young AB - you know he's good enough but he's just not done what he can do yet. Whereas Duminy provides very little hope of pulling out a match-winning innings these days.
I have my concerns about Amla too and with his potential concussion who knows if he will be available for the next 7-10 days.

Wouldn't mind seeing this. It has massive flaws but it is what we have to work with. Reason I can't fit both Amla/Markram in is because I desperately want that 3,4,5 and the same time gives Phehlukwayo more time at the crease. He can do it. He had a good Momentum One Day Cup batting 6 with the resposnsibility. Was looking good yesterday.

We need more dynamism , x-factor in this time. Whatever you want to call it. Ours isn't as reliable as an England team but on its day it could come off. Basically we looking at games like India, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Windies now with massive respect given to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Afghanistan still.

QdK
Amla/Markram
Faf
Rassie
Miller
Phehlukwayo
Morris
Rabada
Steyn
Ngidi
Tahir

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
5. Phehlukwayo quietly goes about his bowling. Has mastered the art of batsmen coming at him and chipping in with wickets (behind 4 strike-bowlers) but still only has 1 50 in 44 games when batting. Whether that is through lack of a chance to score more runs but lets be honest he has had plenty opportunity to come in and score runs. At 5/6/7 you have to be able to come in backs to the wall and get a run-a-ball 50 on ocassion.
I took a look at his innings, and it seems that if he's not dismissed for single figures then he tends to be not out at the end, so his lack of 50s is in part due to there not always being enough time for him to get there. Which points to him having the ability with the bat, and the key needs to be not going out cheaply, which happens about half the time.