• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought maybe it was less strain. I dunno if bowling is more efficient a body mechanic than throwing but it seemed to mainly be big injury prone quick at fine leg doing it

Shady Slim

International Coach
i’ve updated the xi of all my favourite current test players in my sig (rangana out for his retirement, hazlewood out because he’s a prick now and i am enamoured with pat cummins), hot heck that bats deeeeeeeeeep

Last edited:

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Is Greg Matthews an underrated cricketer? Sure he bowled pies, but a Test batting average of 41-odd is nothing to sneeze at.

He was always dependable when pressure runs were needed, consistently formed partnerships with top order batsman who amassed big scores, batted effectively with lower order.

srbhkshk

International Captain
What's the deal with bowling the ball in from the outfield. I don't see it anymore, but used to be very common practice. I always threw so wonder why people would bowl it in (bowling into the air - not on the ground). Was this because your arm was pissweak? Was it more accurate if you never practiced throwing? What?
Mostly it's to do with rotator cuff injuries. Throwing can lead to it + if you have already got it earlier you are better off not throwing.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Is Greg Matthews an underrated cricketer? Sure he bowled pies, but a Test batting average of 41-odd is nothing to sneeze at.

He was always dependable when pressure runs were needed, consistently formed partnerships with top order batsman who amassed big scores, batted effectively with lower order.
Greg retired around the same time I took an interest in cricket and was surprised at how good his test average was when I first saw his Cricinfo profile. I always thought he was just a bits and pieces one day bowler. Then there was an article floating around a few years ago
that explained the ups and downs of his career throughout the 80's a bit better. I guess he was Glenn Maxwell before Glenn Maxwell.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greg retired around the same time I took an interest in cricket and was surprised at how good his test average was when I first saw his Cricinfo profile. I always thought he was just a bits and pieces one day bowler. Then there was an article floating around a few years ago
that explained the ups and downs of his career throughout the 80's a bit better. I guess he was Glenn Maxwell before Glenn Maxwell.
I reckon he just overperformed in Tests, and his average would have dropped with more games. He averaged 38 in first-class cricket, and 16 in ODIs.

Burgey

Better batsman than Maxwell. Miles better. Better bowler too, come to that. Just wasn’t quite test standard with the ball. Was a proper test batsman though.

Weird, weird cat though. Spent a lot of time with Mo over the years and he just does his own thing, tstl

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely Maxy was a better one day batsman than him though. Can't really recall Mo pulling of the kinds of shenanigans that Maxwell performs at the crease.

mr_mister

Yeah seems a bit of rose colored glasses in play here burge. Matthews ODI batting record looks dreadful. I know numbers aren't everything but there's a limit to that.

Nothing about their FC records indicate one could possibly be 'miles better' than the other either

TheJediBrah

Surely Maxy was a better one day batsman than him though. Can't really recall Mo pulling of the kinds of shenanigans that Maxwell performs at the crease.
Maxwell is a better everything than him. Burgey's clearly overcome with bias

stephen

Is there any player currently playing international cricket who was alive 37 years ago when underarm happened?

Bolo

State Captain
Tahir is 39. Hes the oldest i know of playing although it wouldn't surprise me of some of the weak T20 sides have some ancients.

Starfighter

Someone pointed out in the SL tour thread the huge difference between Dilruwan Perera's home and away bowling averages for a cricketer as experienced as him (28.48 vs 44.30, a difference of 15.82) and asked if there's anyone with a bigger difference for a similar number of wickets. Abdul Qadir's is 20.77 (26.82 vs 47.59). Can anyone think of a bigger difference for a bowler with c. 150 test wickets or more?