• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt they'll go far from the existing group of players, but the wildcards are the Hospital Bed Crew - Anderson, Milne, Astle - will any of them be fit enough to play this summer and push for a spot? They're all marginal anyway so are any good enough and fit the balance of the side? Do we want to take a risk on someone who might get injured in the tournament?

Jezroy

State Captain
Interesting when they were taking on TV comms today saying that team management want Kane to bowl more. Leads you to think the mindset is one spinner with Kane as back up. Or two seamers, with Neesham/Munro/Kane/CDG, then you can play Santa and Ish?

Jezroy

State Captain
I doubt they'll go far from the existing group of players, but the wildcards are the Hospital Bed Crew - Anderson, Milne, Astle - will any of them be fit enough to play this summer and push for a spot? They're all marginal anyway so are any good enough and fit the balance of the side? Do we want to take a risk on someone who might get injured in the tournament?
Surely Milne is out now, Ferguson seems the better option. And Astle must be below Santa and Ish in the pecking order. Can’t see them taking 3 spinners.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Milne is out now, Ferguson seems the better option. And Astle must be below Santa and Ish in the pecking order. Can’t see them taking 3 spinners.
Hesson on commentary last match was saying he thinks they'll seriously consider two spinners in England and might want three in the squad, then mentioned Astle's batting, so he might still be a chance.

Milne's spot is almost spinner-like too, seeing as he bowls the middle overs. How many bowlers all-up? Seven? One of Astle or Milne could sneak in there.

Jezroy

State Captain
So if Munro’s innings is the start of him turning the corner... is the 1st XI looking something like this? Also with Henry not looking that convincing...

Guptill
Munro
Kane
Ross
Tom
Neesham
Seifert
Santner/Sodhi
Southee
Ferguson
Boult

Either that or you play both Santner and Sodhi and drop Seifert out. But then the tail is pretty long. As unconvincing as Southee has been in ODIs since WC 2015, I still think he’s one of the best options at the death.

Nicholls/Henry/De Grandhomme in the squad.

Bracewell NOT in the squad.
I was wrong. Southee shouldn't be in this squad. I know he will be, but he shouldn't. I keep getting confused by his improving tests stats...

Bots

Cricket Spectator
Been a cracker first two games, everyone up top scoring runs and Roscoe looking real good

Latham and Santner would be in my world cup team. We'll need 2 spinners and 4 seamers in the lineup for the world cup unless the whole unit improves their game to game consistency

Guptill
Munro
Kane steady the ship
Taylor
Latham
Neesham
Santner
Southee
Henry
Sodhi
Boult

Nicholls, Ferguson, CDG

Flem274*

123/5
he's not just the best in the world but moving up the ladder of the best, period. but we'll let the adorable little aussies and bangers pump for paine and shriek in their 2018 world elevens.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I'm writing this so I can check back later but as it stands this is my current World Cup squad.

1. Guptill
2. Munro
3. KW (c)
4. Taylor
5. Latham (wk)
6. Neesham
7. CdG
8. Santner
9. Henry
10. Ferguson
11. Boult

Nicholls, Sodhi, Seifert and Southee to round out the squad of 15. Sodhi to come in for Ferguson on certain wickets, Nicholls/Seifert are the backup batsmen and Southee and Henry to interchange depending on form.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This may be heresy but what has CdG done at international level in ODIs, really? His average with the bat away from home is under 20 and his bowling average is 50. He will probably do well in English conditions (small grounds which have recently skewed towards massive totals) but I would put a question mark over his head as well as Munro and Southee.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I think CdG is in there for balance. If you't have CdG in there but have Nicholls at 6 and Neesham at 7, you're relying on 10 overs out of Munro/KW/Neesham which I don't think is that feasible all the time. I also think with CdG's experience from playing in the T20 Blast on their grounds will be invaluable.

CdG's away average is not a big enough sample size, he's literally only played in the UAE and India in the last 12-15 months. His other 3 away ODI's were against Aussie when he first came back into the team. English conditions are gonna be closest to NZ for him. I also think he has the x-factor that someone like Nicholls doesn't have yet.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I think CdG is in there for balance. If you't have CdG in there but have Nicholls at 6 and Neesham at 7, you're relying on 10 overs out of Munro/KW/Neesham which I don't think is that feasible all the time. I also think with CdG's experience from playing in the T20 Blast on their grounds will be invaluable.

CdG's away average is not a big enough sample size, he's literally only played in the UAE and India in the last 12-15 months. His other 3 away ODI's were against Aussie when he first came back into the team. English conditions are gonna be closest to NZ for him. I also think he has the x-factor that someone like Nicholls doesn't have yet.
I wouldn't replace CdG with a straight out batsman - I guess he's the best of a minute group of all-rounders we've got in him, Neesham, Santner and CJ. Considering Anderson can't bowl CdG is vital for us at the moment, and when he comes off he really does well, and is a good 6th option.

I guess we can only wait and see.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I wouldn't replace CdG with a straight out batsman - I guess he's the best of a minute group of all-rounders we've got in him, Neesham, Santner and CJ. Considering Anderson can't bowl CdG is vital for us at the moment, and when he comes off he really does well, and is a good 6th option.

I guess we can only wait and see.
Yeah I think we'll have a much better idea after the India series. I was curious and checked CdG home average which is 44 from 13 games. Probably not a big enough sample size yet still, but he should defs be a lock at 7 for the India series I think. Plus even though his bowling average is 50, he bowled really well in the UAE, although conditions suited his dibbly dobbly 125kmh pace. Haha.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think we can afford two x-factor/come off every 10 matches to win you the game players. One looks like it will be Munro. De Grandhomme will click in one match if selected. Let’s hope it’a the semi-final or final.

NZTailender

I think we can afford two x-factor/come off every 10 matches to win you the game players. One looks like it will be Munro. De Grandhomme will click in one match if selected. Let’s hope it’a the semi-final or final.
We also need a Grant Elliott type. Santner possibly comes closest of those who roll the arm over, Latham and Nicholls the other. Neesham, CdG and Munro all of the same mould.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Reasonable Reason column:

Rashid, a leg-spinner, and Moeen Ali, an off-spinner, were very successful on their home pitches for England against Australia and India last summer. Rashid is a wicket taker and Ali a container, not unlike the New Zealand pair. New Zealand cannot choose between their spinners - in English one-day conditions they have to play both. I would also like to see Williamson bowl a few more overs as Joe Root does effectively for England.

Trent Boult plays as the best fast bowler. Jimmy Neesham or Colin de Grandhomme is the hitting allrounder. That means the final bowling spot is between Southee, Henry and Lockie Ferguson. Surely you pick horses for courses. So Southee plays the penultimate pool game against Australia at Lord's, where he has been previously successful with the slope. But Ferguson might play the final pool game against England at the Riverside where quicker, skiddier bowlers have prospered.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion...to-help-new-zealand-win-the-cricket-world-cup

Last edited: