• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
NZ have a terrible record vs. Australia and SA, two teams that basically do everything that they do a little bit better. Have they won a series against SA since readmission and have they beaten Australia since the Hadlee days?
They were going through test match win percentages by visiting teams in SA since re-admission yesterday.

New Zealand are stone last with Windies. So Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan who are 3rd are all ahead of them.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ah for some reason i thought you said "test"
Yeah, even Test wins for them are rare against Australia/SA. Can probably count them on one hand in the last two decades or so. Bad matchup.

Burner

International Regular
it's not terrible posting, it's completely in line with accepted wisdom in the game that weight of first innings runs is decisive and scoreboard pressure makes a difference. you reckon those indian seamers would be so destructive defending scores of 150ao?
Not really getting my point. Kohli scored 4 centuries last series and if he had support from the bowlers like he did this series, you don't think he would have been helping India win matches just like Pujara is doing now? My argument is that it's erroneous to rate a batsman's performance based on how the match pans out.

India picked 60 out of the 80 wickets on offer last series and they have already picked 80 wickets this series being only 3 match in but of course lets pretend that Pujara has been the difference this series.

Stefan9

International Debutant
well, fortunately, they played tests before 2018

this line of posting is so reactionary. you've all seen two bad innings and have decided that it obviates everything since 2015.
Yeah and their records are still inferior to each and every member of the SA attack.

It's hardly only 2 bad innings, their bowling has been poor since the second innings at Durban .

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Batting and bowling don't happen in a vacuum. Runs on the board make a bowling unit more potent. Bowling a team out cheaply makes it easier for the batsmen to bat.

If India didn't have this bowling attack, it would have been much harder for Pujara to score as much as he did, let alone for guys like Rahane, Rohit, Pant, etc. to make the contributions they did.
So having a cruddy bowling attack makes it massively harder to score runs in the first match innings, when you haven't bowled? Yeah... no.

Burgey

Burner, my point is as ***** said - Kohli et al were batting almost in vacuums because they were a snowflake’s chance in hell of winning before a ball was bowled. On this occasion India came over with a good attack and were facing an unproven (being charitable) batting outfit. So it was game on. If Pujara had what’s been a standard Pujara non-Asian series then Australia would have won this series. He’s miles in front.

TheJediBrah

Not really getting my point. Kohli scored 4 centuries last series and if he had support from the bowlers like he did this series, you don't think he would have been helping India win matches just like Pujara is doing now? My argument is that it's erroneous to rate a batsman's performance based on how the match pans out.

India picked 60 out of the 80 wickets on offer last series and they have already picked 80 wickets this series being only 3 match in but of course lets pretend that Pujara has been the difference this series.
They've taken 80 wickets in 3 Tests? Damn that is a pretty special attack

jk m8

Yeah and their records are still inferior to each and every member of the SA attack.
Funny how the whole "Aussie wickets are roads and SA wickets are bowler friendly" thoughts go out the window when comparing the bowlers

Spark

Global Moderator

It's hardly only 2 bad innings, their bowling has been poor since the second innings at Durban .
have you... seen the pitches australian bowlers have been bowling on?

vcs

Burner, my point is as ***** said - Kohli et al were batting almost in vacuums because they were a snowflake’s chance in hell of winning before a ball was bowled. On this occasion India came over with a good attack and were facing an unproven (being charitable) batting outfit. So it was game on. If Pujara had what’s been a standard Pujara non-Asian series then Australia would have won this series. He’s miles in front.
Pujara has been awesome and all power to him, but Kohli nearly dragged India to a win last time in Adelaide in a game they had no right to even be competing in, going by the state of our "attack" then.

Burgey

So having a cruddy bowling attack makes it massively harder to score runs in the first match innings, when you haven't bowled? Yeah... no.
No, having a crap bowling attack which you know won’t take 20 wickets means you won’t be winning and you just go out and bat.

Spark

Global Moderator
Pujara has been awesome and all power to him, but Kohli nearly dragged India to a win last time in Adelaide in a game they had no right to even be competing in, going by the state of our "attack" then.
to be fair michael clarke had a big hand in that. that was a big, juicy carrot he dangled with that second innings declaration.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Do international cricketers think like this though?

Burgey

I recall that game fondly whenever people talk about his heroic efforts, because Australia lost 12 wickets for the match and declared twice. India was never winning that series.