• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyway, a couple of years ago Bangladesh contrived to lose in Wellington having posted 595/8 in the first innings.

Here’s the Hall of Shame: 500+ has managed to lose 15 Test matches, and I’ve just been reminded of Adelaide 2006.
Wow, interesting. Higher than I would have thought. So India need 620 or so to be safe then.

cnerd123

likes this
Look custard nuts, they’ve bowed full to Pujara all series and it hasn’t worked. Bowling short to him yesterday *was* moving away from what they’ve been doing all series and which didn’t work. Jfc, why this is difficult to fathom is beyond me.
Pujara has been epic hasn't he.

It's a good strategy to bowl short to change it up, but it's inherently a negative plan. Apart from trying to test a batsman's backfoot defence, you're trying to make a batsman uncomfortable and hope he buckles under the pressure. But this isn't a pacey pitch. A few deliveries have leapt (like the one to Rahane), but by and large it hasn't roughed them up. The batsmen have survived because they've been willing to bat ugly and grind it out. And some luck tbf. It's good for a spell or a session, but when Australia are the ones who need a win, I'm not sure why they'd spend a whole day trying it. May have been better trying to blow them out a bit more. Pitching it up could have gone for runs, but could have brought wickets. Bowling dry, as evident by the 3rd Test, doesn't work. India (and Pujara) are happy to bat 2 days if need to, and Australia doesn't have the batting to overhaul a big score anyways. Worth the risk to try and blow them out cheaply IMO.

Again, easy to say in hindsight. Short bowling has worked to this lineup in the past, like bowling wide of offstump has. It's a credit to the Indian batsmen that they've seen out these spells and strategies.

Pant WAG.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India have won in England before. They haven't in SA, and that would be a big deal, but not as big as this. Fair enough that this is not Australia at its best, but it doesn't really matter. It's still a huge deal for a subcontinental side. If it happens, I'd cherish this more than any other series win that I've been able to see. Even more than Australia in India in 2001 (which would have been my top before this). Definitely more than world cups.

Hasn't happened yet, mind. I've been through enough Indian cricket to know that anything can happen.
2001 vs Australia will always be tops, regardless of World Cups or anything else.

Burgey

Think the Anderson and Broad comparison is definitely relevant here.

Look friends different plans are fine, I advocated for Pujara getting bounced on day 1 after 10 minutes of him looking absolutely set for 150+. I think there's a difference between the perceived full length plans we've been bowling, and actual full length plans.

The reasons don't matter at the end of the day, the important thing is that we blame all 11 men out there equally and with complete contempt.
Good from gnske here.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Steve Waugh made a career out of wearing deliveries on his body. If Mayank achieves a quarter of that he's have done well.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit insulting how much Brayshaw comments on Pants stature. 'pocket rocket', 'powerful little man'. Kinda weird. Will he call him a manlet soon

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Surely they're not going to declare ffs just keep batting. Australia's bowlers are knackered here, keep them out there.

stephen

Even if they lose after the declaration, good #intent from Kohli. Can't knock that
Declaring is arrogant and completely mad given the context of the series. No point to it at all. They should be batting as long as possible. It likely won't make a difference but you never let a side back into the match if you're 2-1 up and are on the verge of an historic victory.

But Kohli is known for being a dimwit.

Son Of Coco

Cummins looks like he's had enough. He's still having a crack, but he looks like he'd rather be at the shops or the beach.

He's not alone out there either. Probably because the bowlers realise they might be bowling again by tomorrow afternoon.

Burgey

Steve Waugh made a career out of wearing deliveries on his body. If Mayank achieves a quarter of that he's have done well.
Yeah. And Waugh looked about as likely to get out as often in a season as Agarwal did to it in a session yesterday. He was clueless, which isn’t his fault, he won’t have faced anything much like it before.

As we can see with this over from Starc, the top of off strategy really works a treat on a deck like this to blokes who like to play forward.

OverratedSanity

Yeah. And Waugh looked about as likely to get out as often in a season as Agarwal did to it in a session yesterday. He was clueless, which isn’t his fault, he won’t have faced anything much like it before.

As we can see with this over from Starc, the top of off strategy really works a treat on a deck like this to blokes who like to play forward.
I wouldn't describe the filth starc is bowling as 'top of off'