• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh, and Clarke has almost definitely been booed too. Could sworn he was once quite unpopular with crowds
Yeah he got booed in Brisbane during that ODI post 10/11 Ashes most notably.

The crowd is fickle and often brainless, should be the point here. They just do as they feel.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah he got booed in Brisbane during that ODI post 10/11 Ashes most notably.

The crowd is fickle and often brainless, should be the point here. They just do as they feel.
he was booed at sydney in the last test of that ashes series - and his first test as captain, incidentally

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
i know, my point is that the crowds aren't booing kohli because he behaves particularly badly. he gets booed because he's a visiting captain who actively seeks confrontation. with the emphasis on "visiting captain".
A captain who wore pink apparel in honour of Jane McGrath initiative.

And gets booed.

Classy.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, dont get me wrong, even the biggest Kohli fanboy will admit he's a weapons grade dickhead. But he just hasnt done anything particularly douchey this particular series unless I've missed something.

Gnske

he was booed at sydney in the last test of that ashes series - and his first test as captain, incidentally
Didn't recall that. We're people still mad at him over the Bingle fiasco or his results?

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean, dont get me wrong, even the biggest Kohli fanboy will admit he's a weapons grade dickhead. But he just hasnt done anything particularly douchey this particular series unless I've missed something.
celebrated too hard, apparently. work that one out.

people have been saying that some australian players would never hear the end of it if they went on like that - well, sure. maybe take it up with the wowser brigade who enforce such things and ensured that australia is missing its two best players for this series

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't really understand this "don't boo the opposition" business. It's different with personal attacks, or the racist attacks like what Symonds had to go through. Those are not acceptable. But it's just booing. Who cares? What's wrong with it?

Burgey

it also doesn't explain the whole day of "gee, i'm not sure pujara knows how to defend off the back foot here"
As opposed to the “we definitely do know he likes to drive and play off his pads so let’s bowl there all day” strategy which would doubtless have seen him knocked over for 15.

Fmd I’d love to bat against you blokes as opposing captains:

“Where does this bloke score least?”

“Doesn’t hook or pull, has popped a **** load up which haven’t gone to hand this series. Plays away from his body when defending to off when playing off the back dog too.

He loves to drive and is immense working it from middle and off through midwicket off his pads though.”

“Ok, let’s run with the latter then.”

Move over Mike Brearley.

criccontent

Cricket Spectator
Looking forward to Pritvi and Agarwal opening for India in the future. Such exiting stroke makers. What was Agarwal doing all these years. If Agarwal opened the batting in Eng who knows end results could have been different.

Spark

Global Moderator
As opposed to the “we definitely do know he likes to drive and play off his pads so let’s bowl there all day” strategy which would doubtless have seen him knocked over for 15.

Fmd I’d love to bat against you blokes as opposing captains:

“Where does this bloke score least?”

“Doesn’t hook or pull, has popped a **** load up which haven’t gone to hand this series. Plays away from his body when defending to off when playing off the back dog too.

He loves to drive and is immense working it from middle and off through midwicket off his pads though.”

“Ok, let’s run with the latter then.”

Move over Mike Brearley.
idk i feel top of off stump for all its foibles, has merely worked to every single batsman in world history

TheJediBrah

i know, my point is that the crowds aren't booing kohli because he behaves particularly badly. he gets booed because he's a visiting captain who actively seeks confrontation. with the emphasis on "visiting captain".
you don't think it has anything do with alphaness???

...That was barely a third XI.

If you think that was a superior side to this - there is no point in having a conversation. The top four in that side have three career centuries between them. They played a total of 1, 18, 5, and 12 Tests total in their careers....
I think you're taking this the wrong way. It's definitely been an excellent performance from India, no one's saying otherwise. No one's implying that the Australia shooting themselves in the foot is the only relevant factor in India winning. India could definitely have done worse and not won regardless.

mr_mister

yeah indeed. there he was basically inciting the crowd to try and swing back the momentum back towards the side. it worked, but it was one of the more breathtakingly cynical maneuvers i've seen.

here he's been absolutely fine. no time for wowsers tut-tutting him celebrating too hard.

i repeat the point
Sorry I'm not sure what you think im arguing. Im saying we boo those who have bad personalities. Kohli was a **** in 2017 and I spose we haven't forgotten. He also called Paine a part time captain. Clarke was seen as a douche by the public and Waugh took money for information.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think you're taking this the wrong way. It's definitely been an excellent performance from India, no one's saying otherwise. No one's implying that the Australia shooting themselves in the foot is the only relevant factor in India winning. India could definitely have done worse and not won regardless.
That was just a response to someone asking me to name sides worse than this that have still won against subcontinental sides. There have been multiple times, and yet everyone (especially subcontinental teams) still has a hell of a time winning in Australia. They've had an immense home field advantage (aside from being consistently excellent overall for most of their history).

stephen

What Burgey said.

It's telling that the most reliable and productive batting partnership Australia have had is Paine and Cummins.