• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well yes that goes without saying

but i'm still so fed up of turgid, slow australian pitches. mcg this year, mcg last year, brisbane (!) last year. enough.
Can I add a complaint about the soft, flat-seamed Kookaburra balls to this too (something I'm convinced is deliberate)? Swing bowling is also much better than the attritional stuff that due to the balls and pitches made the Ashes such a snoozefest. I'm convinced pitches haven't been this bad, and Australian cricket so dull, since the early sixties.

I'm going with a comprehensive no here. SA have some of the worst batsmen vs spin I've seen in ages. Dreadful techniques.
Considering that Aus and SA both got cleaned out in SL it's hard to pick between them.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm going with a comprehensive no here. SA have some of the worst batsmen vs spin I've seen in ages. Dreadful techniques. Faf, QdK, Markram (even though it was just one series in sl) have looked embarrassing in subcontinent. Not to mention their capitulations against Moeen.

If Australia pick Handscomb, Renshaw, and Maxwell they're much more competent.
"If Australia pick" being the key words. Hasn't been working out too well recently.

OverratedSanity

i mean, if we're going to compare series in SL...

but i'm talking more over the medium-long term, "historically", then right now.
Nah, not just one series. SA have been cleaned up by competent spinners everywhere. Ashwin made QdK look even worse than he actually is in the series earlier this year and Moeen in England too. Australia have atleast a handful who have done all right, if not actually great against spin.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, not just one series. SA have been cleaned up by competent spinners everywhere. Ashwin made QdK look even worse than he actually is in the series earlier this year and Moeen in England too. Australia have atleast a handful who have done all right, if not actually great against spin.
yeah, i guess i'm just basing this on the fact that SA's "great generation" of bats - smith, kallis, amla, abdv - had much better records in the subcontinent than many of our great batsmen.

Flem274*

123/5
what are sources close to the team saying about warner playing for oz again? i remember the bowling attack wanted to deck him or something in south africa.

smith obvz the best in the world pre-ban but losing the only truly world class opener remaining was just as big in a way imo. he was so far ahead of other openers around the traps.

OverratedSanity

what are sources close to the team saying about warner playing for oz again? i remember the bowling attack wanted to deck him or something in south africa.

smith obvz the best in the world pre-ban but losing the only truly world class opener remaining was just as big in a way imo. he was so far ahead of other openers around the traps.
They'd be stupid to not bring him back. Whatever toxicity he'd bring would be worth it for the runs. The best teams often have some of the best players hating each other's guts but putting up with them for the sake of the team's results.

the big bambino

International Captain

He’s coming back for sure. Was getting sympathy after Bancroft and Smith unloaded on him. Even Paine is talking about welcoming both of them back

srbhkshk

International Captain
A look at the pitch makes me think the toss will be very advantageous again.
What's it looking like? Mostly interested it in how much turn would be there.

Ishant -> Ashwin swap would work in that case, Yadav is also not a particular downgrade on Ishant if the pitch isn't too good for pacers.

Last edited:

StephenZA

I'm going with a comprehensive no here. SA have some of the worst batsmen vs spin I've seen in ages. Dreadful techniques. Faf, QdK, Markram (even though it was just one series in sl) have looked embarrassing in subcontinent. Not to mention their capitulations against Moeen.
Think you being a bit harsh on Faf and QDK here.... Faf has scored runs subcontinent in low team totals. QDK has shown competence against spin, it is his recent form that has been horrific. Markram is an opening bat who hopefully improves. If you talking terrible SA, de Bruyn, Duminy, van Zyl etc were the ones that looked truly out of depth.

Starfighter

What's it looking like? Mostly interested it in how much turn would be there.
It's got a good cover of grass though I wouldn't be surprised if it's mown once more (though probably not scalped like the past couple of years) but the footmarks are much barer and there's plenty of brown showing behind the green. I think it'll move for the quicks but I'll be staggered if it doesn't also turn a good amount when it dries. Should be a better pitch than Melbourne though.

stephen

It's got a good cover of grass though I wouldn't be surprised if it's mown once more (though probably not scalped like the past couple of years) but the footmarks are much barer and there's plenty of brown showing behind the green. I think it'll move for the quicks but I'll be staggered if it doesn't also turn a good amount when it dries. Should be a better pitch than Melbourne though.
My backyard is a better pitch than Melbourne. Less seating capacity though.

cnerd123

likes this
How does Bhuvi not make the final 13. We're missing both Rohit and Ishant, Bhuvi would have been the perfect swap.

Looks like Yadav in for Ishant. Hope we play Lokesh at 6. Wouldn't mind 5 bowlers with Ashwin as second spinner too, but I'd rather the extra batting and good fielding from Lokesh.