• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So, errr... Can we talk about how Ishant is out for Sydney and kl Rahul might be back and Ashwin may be playing injured again. No? OK I guess.

Edit: thank you borges

TheJediBrah

Regardless if Australia were to doctor a pitch against SA it would probably be to make it a slow turner, you'd think

TheJediBrah

So, errr... Can we talk about how Ishant is out for Sydney and kl Rahul might be back and Ashwin may be playing injured again. No? OK I guess.

Edit: thank you borges
Ashwin reverse Philandering, playing despite being injured favourable conditions, very interesting

TheJediBrah

i cannot think of a single type of pitch that suits australia more than sa to be completely honest
Yeah I just guessed a slow turner because it would possibly negate SA's quicks to an extent and Aus have Lyon. But then I don't think Lyon's much better than Maharaj anyway.

I agree that doctoring a wicket against SA would probably be pointless

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
idk how you can describe a pitch which had one fc game and 0 tests played previously as having a general character. i think no one really knew what to expect, least of all the curators.
'Twas going on said fc match and the ODIs played there. The cracking was a bit more extreme in the test but going of the limited sample the pitch was fine.

Regardless if Australia were to doctor a pitch against SA it would probably be to make it a slow turner, you'd think
I'm not sure any pitch doctoring against SA could work. They've simply got a production line of good fast bowlers and Maharaj is a good enough match for most spinners.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, you are right; cricbuzz reports that "Ishant Sharma's absence is owing to the discomfort he has felt in his left rib cage. The team management opted against risking the pacer for the SCG game" ;
Sucks. Wouldn't be surprised if that lengthy tailend resistance contributed significantly to that as was the fear when it was happening. These "going down fighting" partnerships are much more valuable and significant for exactly this reason instead of some imaginary concept of 'pride'.

Shami's fitness is notoriously poor too, hopefully he managed to not pick up a niggle.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
anyway australia shouldn't doctor australian pitches to suit the australian team, they should doctor them to make the pitches australian i.e. fast and bouncy. they could be bowler-, batsman- or even spin-friendly within those confines, but they should at least have those two characteristics to notable degrees relative to other pitches around the world. whether they help the team is merely an interesting corollary to the fact that that's what i want to see in an australian test when i pay my money.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sucks. Wouldn't be surprised if that lengthy tailend resistance contributed significantly to that as was the fear when it was happening. These "going down fighting" partnerships are much more valuable and significant for exactly this reason instead of some imaginary concept of 'pride'.
sounds like a side strain tbh

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I just guessed a slow turner because it would possibly negate SA's quicks to an extent and Aus have Lyon. But then I don't think Lyon's much better than Maharaj anyway.

I agree that doctoring a wicket against SA would probably be pointless
sa batsmen are also much, much better against spin than aus batsman are (and lyon has never been more than a containing bowler against SA). which is why their record against aus at PE is very strong.

TheJediBrah

Shami's fitness is notoriously poor too, hopefully he managed to not pick up a niggle.
meh play 2 spinners anyway. Jadeja & Ashwin could be batting 8 & 9 if you really wanted.

sunilz

International Regular
We all want AUS to doctor wickets and produce pace friendly pitches . This is the only way to stop averaging Smith 75 at home. Btw how much did he average in 2016 tour at home against SA ? I bet it won"t be 75.

Spark

Global Moderator
We all want AUS to doctor wickets and produce pace friendly pitches . This is the only way to stop averaging Smith 75 at home. Btw how much did he average in 2016 tour at home against SA ? I bet it won"t be 75.
ok blocky

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
anyway australia shouldn't doctor australian pitches to suit the australian team, they should doctor them to make the pitches australian i.e. fast and bouncy. they could be bowler-, batsman- or even spin-friendly within those confines, but they should at least have those two characteristics to notable degrees relative to other pitches around the world. whether they help the team is merely an interesting corollary to the fact that that's what i want to see in an australian test when i pay my money.
Something else I'd like to see in an Australian test?

Our two best batsmen.

Spark

Global Moderator
Something else I'd like to see in an Australian test?

Our two best batsmen.
well yes that goes without saying

but i'm still so fed up of turgid, slow australian pitches. mcg this year, mcg last year, brisbane (!) last year. enough.

OverratedSanity

sa batsmen are also much, much better against spin than aus batsman are.
I'm going with a comprehensive no here. SA have some of the worst batsmen vs spin I've seen in ages. Dreadful techniques. Faf, QdK, Markram (even though it was just one series in sl) have looked embarrassing in subcontinent. Not to mention their capitulations against Moeen.

If Australia pick Handscomb, Renshaw, and Maxwell they're much more competent.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Ftr Ashwin and Jadeja's bowling average also flatter them . They should be averaging around 28 not 23 and 25 .

trundler

Ashwin is going to be a big flop especially if he isn't fully fit. Bhuvi would've provided extra batting too. Rahul opening again is dumb as well. Should've stuck with Vihari a little longer.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm going with a comprehensive no here. SA have some of the worst batsmen vs spin I've seen in ages. Dreadful techniques. Faf, QdK, Markram (even though it was just one series in sl) have looked embarrassing in subcontinent. Not to mention their capitulations against Moeen.

If Australia pick Handscomb, Renshaw, and Maxwell they're much more competent.
i mean, if we're going to compare series in SL...

but i'm talking more over the medium-long term, "historically", then right now.