• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What do you make of Aussie batsmen getting pinged on their helmets far more often than the Indians? Bit of an anomaly for guys reared on fast pitches, no?
Tbh I’d rather them get pinged than keep gloving them and have them pop up anywhere. In any event I’d say the scores are pretty even in the pinging stakes.

Zinzan

What do you make of Aussie batsmen getting pinged on their helmets far more often than the Indians? Bit of an anomaly for guys reared on fast pitches, no?
India currently have the better Test team is best explanation I can come up with.

Still think they should have batted on and tried to totally bat Aust out of the game. Kohli may argue declaring with 5 overs remaining was the more attacking option, but i'm not convinced it was.

Zinzan

Let's be honest guys, how many, if any at all of this current Australia batting line-up would make an India Test side to play in all conditions? Khawaja? I'm not sure he's even given, although a shout at number 5 following Pujara and Kohli.

cnerd123

likes this
Harris could open for us. Shaw and Agarwal are new, Vijay and Lokesh out of touch, and Dhawan isn't even in consideration outside of home.

Khawaja over Nohit perhaps. Rahane has start scoring runs again so I wouldn't drop him now.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aus to get rolled for 300
Even if this is the case there's not enough time left to force a result. If Australia avoid the follow on then there's only the possibility of a draw or a slim chance of an Australia victory if Australia put enough runs on the board.

India's best chance of victory is to roll Australia for 243 or less.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's be honest guys, how many, if any at all of this current Australia batting line-up would make an India Test side to play in all conditions? Khawaja? I'm not sure he's even given, although a shout at number 5 following Pujara and Kohli.
Lyon to replace Jadeja and possibly Ashwin.

Cummins to lead the attack.

Paine to keep.

Starc to replace Ishant.

Zinzan

Harris could open for us. Shaw and Agarwal are new, Vijay and Lokesh out of touch, and Dhawan isn't even in consideration outside of home.

Khawaja over Nohit perhaps. Rahane has start scoring runs again so I wouldn't drop him now.
You'd take Harris above the likes of Dhawan, Vijay & Rahul for a batsman for all conditions? I wouldn't, the guy averages about 34 in FC cricket doesn't he?

cnerd123

likes this
Even if this is the case there's not enough time left to force a result. If Australia avoid the follow on then there's only the possibility of a draw or a slim chance of an Australia victory if Australia put enough runs on the board.

India's best chance of victory is to roll Australia for 243 or less.
More to do with time than runs I reckon. India needs to bowl out Australia one by early in Day 4. If they can't make Aus follow on, they can then bat for a bit in the 3rd innings and still give themselves all of Day 5 to bowl them out a second time.

If Aus bat into the second session on Day 4, the draw becomes more likely. And if Australia get a lead, they then have a path to victory.

Zinzan

Lyon to replace Jadeja and possibly Ashwin.

Cummins to lead the attack.

Paine to keep.

Starc to replace Ishant.
I was meaning the batting order, but while we're there, I wouldn't have Lyon over either Ashwin or Jadeja, because i don't think he's nearly as dangerous as those two in SC conditions. Lyon is just really well suited to bowling on bouncy Australian' tracks.

Averages a good, but not brilliant 31 in India, 34 in SL & 53 in the UAE.

Cummin's probably, I not so sure about Paine.

So overall, Khawaja, Cummins & Starc would be the only three probable ones for mine. I'm also not sure Starc's near the bowler he was in 2014/15.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Khawaja would open. No-one else would get near the side IMO.

Burgey

I was meaning the batting order, but while we're there, I wouldn't have Lyon over either Ashwin or Jadeja, because i don't think he's nearly as dangerous as those two in SC conditions. Lyon is just really well suited to bowling on bouncy Australian' tracks.

So overall, Khawaja, Cummins & Starc would be the only three probable ones for mine. I'm also not sure Starc's near the bowler he was in 2014/15.
He literally out bowled Ashwin and Jadeja in India 18 months ago ffs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If we count Paine then I'd take him over current pant who is a work in progress.
Yeah I agree with this, I wasn't really considering him as part of the "batting lineup", but if we did he'd be in over Pant for sure. Tough choice between Paine and Saha though when he's fit again.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Lyon is the superior spinner now

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He literally out bowled Ashwin and Jadeja in India 18 months ago ffs.
Looking at what Lyon averages in India compared to what Ashwin does totally ignores who they get to bowl to as well. Give Lyon a chance to bowl to Australia in India on the pitches India usually prepare for such series and he'd average low 20s, tops.

Burgey

More to do with time than runs I reckon. India needs to bowl out Australia one by early in Day 4. If they can't make Aus follow on, they can then bat for a bit in the 3rd innings and still give themselves all of Day 5 to bowl them out a second time.

If Aus bat into the second session on Day 4, the draw becomes more likely. And if Australia get a lead, they then have a path to victory.
Yeah, that’s why if Australia makes 300 the game will likely fizzle out. At the going rate in the test it will take them until midway lunch and tea day four to get there.