• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wake up to yourself.

Kohli is excellent but Smith is better (at tests anyway). If you're holding a single series against a player, I'd remind you that Kohli averaged 9 in his home series vs. Australia last year.

I don't think anyone would seriously argue that India are not the rightful number one side right now. They're not dominant but they're impenetrable at home and lose less overseas than other nations. Their rating is seriously helped by only playing Asian sides who are little better than minnows. So the sides most likely to be competitive against them in friendly conditions are all weak. The SENA countries are much more competitive with each other in SENA conditions (that is to say conditions fit to play real cricket with fast bowlers and wrist spinners).

And the less you say about ball tampering the better. India were a side captained by the guy who introduced the world to match fixing and later worshipped a ball tamperer who they protected rather than punish. Smith's crime was really to try and deflect blame from that junior squad member into himself out of a misguided sense of loyalty.

And the man you seem to worship, Kohli, flat out lied in press conferences last time Australia toured India, saying he saw things during his innings that objectively didn't occur (it was easy to go through the footage, his innings weren't long).

There's a saying - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Maybe you should learn what that means.
I don't feel there is any need to justify hyperbole and exaggeration in the same thread where the user Burgey is found nesting. And neither do I worship Kohli.

Never the less I'd rather take the word of Kohli over a known cheat esp. in the case where Smith again was caught cheating and conveniently pushing a junior under the bus. Seems to be a force of habit.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No. But you and the people 'thanking' you instead exposed your complete lack of basic English comprehension.

View attachment 24458
what stats are those lol. Lyon's name isn't even on them.
He's saying that his initial statement:

Maharaj fully shut down any talk of Lyon being the best spinner in the world. That after being comprehensively routed by Ashwin just a few months prior.
was referring to Maharaj being routed by Ashwin. Hence why Lyon's stats are irrelevant. I don't think Starfighter's reading comprehension is particularly at fault though as it was an ambiguous statement in the first place (and a **** post)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't feel there is any need to justify hyperbole and exaggeration in the same thread where the user Burgey is found nesting. And neither do I worship Kohli.

Never the less I'd rather take the word of Kohli over a known cheat esp. in the case where Smith again was caught cheating and conveniently pushing a junior under the bus. Seems to be a force of habit.
You seem like a multi.

cnerd123

likes this
Ohhhh he's saying Ashwin > Maharaj and Maharaj > Lyon, therefore Ashwin > Lyon

Make sense. How silly of Starfighter to draw a straight up comparison between Ashwin and Lyon instead. What does that prove?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Pakistan also aren't playing India so are irrelevant to this discussion.
Pakistan is not playing India but it is relevant to the discussion. The fact that Pakistan has not lost in England like India also means that their low ranking is down to other factors like not being good at home. This also means other countries ( India excluded) are not at a disadvantage while playing Pakistan in UAE. Their record against Pak in UAE also helps in their rankings(SENA countries also benefit here). India if anything is missing out on not playing a weak Pakistan after the retirement of Misbah and Younis.

Starfighter

He's saying that his initial statement:was referring to Maharaj being routed by Ashwin. Hence why Lyon's stats are irrelevant. I don't think Starfighter's reading comprehension is particularly at fault though as it was an ambiguous statement in the first place (and a **** post)
It's also irrelevant as Lyon did better head to head in the India series, which is a much better indicator than saying 'bowler x outperformed bowler y at time z therefore bowler v must be better than bowler y because bowler v outperformed bowler x at time w' when bowler y has actually outperformed bowler v. I hate that kind of reasoning.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I like the fact that my public is everywhere. Even N00bs feel the need to acknowledge my ever-positive influence on the direction any given thread takes, just by my presence in said thread. Another reason why shares in Burgey Inc are always on the rise.

Though I do wish Kilowatt had used my proper title, namely Two Time BOTM Champion and Forum Doyen Burgey.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

I think you're still missing the point. For the purposes of the discussion, if whichever team is the home side tends to win eg. Aus v Eng, that is competitive when compared to India v SL or Bangladesh where India win regardless of where it is played. As I said, India play so much of their cricket in familiar conditions against either weak teams, or teams that are not used to Asian conditions, compared to the other Top 4-5 sides.

Also as I said though, I'm not sure that should be taken into account with Kohli because he's been just as good on the tough tours. Almost certainly affects the other Indian bats stats though.
India last won a test match in Bangladesh way back in 2010( and also played a solitary test match against them for the duration of the current ranking period). Against SL, it is not as simple as SL being weak, because SL has thrashed many teams in their backyard, Aus 3-0, SA 2-0 and Pak 2-0(in UAE). Perhaps India was too good when playing SL. And India does not get to play a weak Pakistan either.
India's high ranking is due to their domination of SENA countries in India and not much down to their performance against other Asian countries.

h_hurricane

India's performance against other Asian countries in the last tour circle - 5 win 0 loss

India's performance against SENA countries in India (last tour circle) - 12 win 1 loss

stephen

Show me where Smith pushed Bancroft under a bus.

He didn't, he tried to deflect blame from Bancroft onto the "leadership group" in a misguided attempt to show loyalty to the junior member of the team. If you're going to charge any player with being a cheat and a bully, it's Warner. But that doesn't fit your narrative.

Fact: Kohli claimed that Australia were frequently looking to the dressing room for DRS assistance during his batting innings.
Fact: Kohli's innings' were short and there was nothing even close to a DRS opportunity during them, because they were so short.

Kohli was caught lying.

Fact: Tendulkar was charged with ball tampering.
Fact: Tendulkar had the charges dropped because the BCCI threw its weight around in support of Tendulkar, despite clear video evidence that he was, in fact, ball tampering.

Tendulkar was a ball tamperer.

Fact: Smith did not ball tamper. He tried to protect the players who did.
Fact: Smith got a full year ban for not stopping the players and then trying to deflect the blame away from the most junior member of the team.

Smith was caught in a hard place and was hung out to dry by his board. He did not initiate nor perform any act of ball tampering. He merely failed to stop it.

So unless you're saying that Tendulkar had a "complete lack of character when he was found lying to the whole world" about cheating and that Kohli had a "complete lack of character when he was found lying to the whole world" about the DRS accusations then I don't see why you feel the need to accuse Smith of a lack of character, just because he's a better test bat than Kohli.

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sigh....

He responded to this
I think the recent series's vs South Africa were very instructional in several regards.

Maharaj fully shut down any talk of Lyon being the best spinner in the world. That after being comprehensively routed by Ashwin just a few months prior.
With this
Lyon, N MAustralia 4166.219480198/502025.2652.532.89
Ashwin, RIndia 4225.251575216/411027.3864.382.55

Pulling stuff out of your arsehole I see.
With malevolent intentions, he tried (and failed) to show that I claimed Ashwin blew away Lyon when it is very clear to anyone who has Grade V English skills and even some basic knowledge of recent cricketing history that that post referred to Ashwin vs Maharaj.

And now all his 'thankers' are left to to pulling mental gymnastics to still claim that I compared Ashwin to so called 'best offspinner' in the world.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
For what it's worth, Tendulkar seems the kind of slimy goody two shoes I'd stay miles away from. Kohli is a douchebag, no questions asked. Diana Edulji poured fresh oil into the Kumble sacking saga, did you guys read? What an asshole.

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Show me where Smith pushed Bancroft under a bus.

He didn't, he tried to deflect blame from Bancroft onto the "leadership group" in a misguided attempt to show loyalty to the junior member of the team. If you're going to charge any player with being a cheat and a bully, it's Warner. But that doesn't fit your narrative.

Fact: Kohli claimed that Australia were frequently looking to the dressing room for DRS assistance during his batting innings.
Fact: Kohli's innings' were short and there was nothing even close to a DRS opportunity during them, because they were so short.

Kohli was caught lying.

Fact: Tendulkar was charged with ball tampering.
Fact: Tendulkar had the charges dropped because the BCCI threw its weight around in support of Tendulkar, despite clear video evidence that he was, in fact, ball tampering.

Tendulkar was a ball tamperer.

Fact: Smith did not ball tamper. He tried to protect the players who did.
Fact: Smith got a full year ban for not stopping the players and then trying to deflect the blame away from the most junior member of the team.

Smith was caught in a hard place and was hung out to dry by his board. He did not initiate nor perform any act of ball tampering. He merely failed to stop it.

So unless you're saying that Tendulkar had a "complete lack of character when he was found lying to the whole world" about cheating and that Kohli had a "complete lack of character when he was found lying to the whole world" about the DRS accusations then I don't see why you feel the need to accuse Smith of a lack of character, just because he's a better test bat than Kohli.
Smith made Bancroft rub sandpaper on the ball instead of doing it himself like Faf.

Game Set Match.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea TBF all KW said is that Ashwin is better than Lyon and Maharaj. He's not the best offspinner in the world just because he's better than the other candidates for best offspinner in the world.