• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the recent series's vs South Africa were very instructional in several regards.

Maharaj fully shut down any talk of Lyon being the best spinner in the world. That after being comprehensively routed by Ashwin just a few months prior.

Kohli dominated a series dominated by ball while Smith folded against the same attack in much friendlier conditions. More importantly the 'best since Bradman' also exposed his (or rather was exposed by a not so friendly broadcaster) complete lack of character when he was found lying to the whole world about cowardly forcing a junior player to cheat on his behalf and then blubbing like a little girl when found out.

Even though India lost, they confirmed themselves as the rightful No.1 team by showing they can at least compete with any team in any conditions on equal footing, without resorting to whinging about the toss, the pitch and even the food. More than you can say about any other team in the world.
Wake up to yourself.

Kohli is excellent but Smith is better (at tests anyway). If you're holding a single series against a player, I'd remind you that Kohli averaged 9 in his home series vs. Australia last year.

I don't think anyone would seriously argue that India are not the rightful number one side right now. They're not dominant but they're impenetrable at home and lose less overseas than other nations. Their rating is seriously helped by only playing Asian sides who are little better than minnows. So the sides most likely to be competitive against them in friendly conditions are all weak. The SENA countries are much more competitive with each other in SENA conditions (that is to say conditions fit to play real cricket with fast bowlers and wrist spinners).

And the less you say about ball tampering the better. India were a side captained by the guy who introduced the world to match fixing and later worshipped a ball tamperer who they protected rather than punish. Smith's crime was really to try and deflect blame from that junior squad member into himself out of a misguided sense of loyalty.

And the man you seem to worship, Kohli, flat out lied in press conferences last time Australia toured India, saying he saw things during his innings that objectively didn't occur (it was easy to go through the footage, his innings weren't long).

There's a saying - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Maybe you should learn what that means.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kilowatt getting so badly owned and boned here that I'm thinking he may well be a ***** multi.

TheJediBrah

Where did all these shocking Indian posters come from? I miss the good old days when the worst were the kiwis

Burgey

TJB, you've only been here since 2013. Historically, India has provided most of the junk posters on CW, and by a disproportionately large percentage. Usually they're banned pretty quickly because this isn't the sort of place which tolerates that particular brand of BS. it's a shame they're here in such numbers, because they tend to overshadow quality Indian supporters like Anil, SS and (occasionally) Shri.

Sometimes, however, trash Indian supporters like harsh, *****, OS, Daemon, sunilz, cruxdude, cricaddict, vcs, ankitj, HB, h_hurricane, Cevno and eight to ten thousand others hang around. The rest of us just have to put up with it.

cnerd123

likes this
Given their behaviour on other Internet forums I’m more surprised it didn’t happen sooner.
Yea I'm actually impressed these blow ins can type in complete sentences and are aware of cricket that doesn't involve India

That's already a big leg up over most desi cricket fans on the internet

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Wake up to yourself.

Kohli is excellent but Smith is better (at tests anyway). If you're holding a single series against a player, I'd remind you that Kohli averaged 9 in his home series vs. Australia last year.

I don't think anyone would seriously argue that India are not the rightful number one side right now. They're not dominant but they're impenetrable at home and lose less overseas than other nations. Their rating is seriously helped by only playing Asian sides who are little better than minnows. So the sides most likely to be competitive against them in friendly conditions are all weak. The SENA countries are much more competitive with each other in SENA conditions (that is to say conditions fit to play real cricket with fast bowlers and wrist spinners).

And the less you say about ball tampering the better. India were a side captained by the guy who introduced the world to match fixing and later worshipped a ball tamperer who they protected rather than punish. Smith's crime was really to try and deflect blame from that junior squad member into himself out of a misguided sense of loyalty.

And the man you seem to worship, Kohli, flat out lied in press conferences last time Australia toured India, saying he saw things during his innings that objectively didn't occur (it was easy to go through the footage, his innings weren't long).

There's a saying - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Maybe you should learn what that means.
Smith was a better test batsman than Kohli till he got banned. Neither were holy saints by the way. Do not agree the bolded statement though. Many countries have been weak in this era, not just Asian countries other than India.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith was a better test batsman than Kohli till he got banned. Neither were holy saints by the way. Do not agree the bolded statement though. Many countries have been weak in this era, not just Asian countries other than India.
From a ranking point of view, SENA countries are ranked 2-5. Below them sits Sri Lanka, Pakistan, WI and Bangladesh.

India are miles ahead of these countries. The SENA countries are all competitive against each other, which drags them individually down compared to India because when SENA countries tour Asia, the Asian countries are usually highly competitive or outright win. If (for example) South Africa were as dominant over Aus, NZ and England as India are over Sri Lanka and Bangladesh then SA would be challenging for the number 1 spot, even if they lost against a couple of Asian countries.

Sri Lanka falling off a cliff has really benefited India IMO.

Still, I'm glad that India have been competitive in this round of SENA tours. It makes for good, entertaining cricket. Which is why I really enjoyed the 03/04 tour where Australia had a terrible attack and therefore the tests were competitive.

TheJediBrah

Nah it's a partly true statement. I'm not sure about the extrapolation that it's boosted Kohli's average however, because he was insanely good in SA and Eng. But you can't really deny that the Asian countries have been a lot less competitive with India than the non-Asians have been with each other.

India undoubtedly benefit from playing a vast majority of their games in friendly conditions (Asian/West Indian), against either weak sides (SL, Ban, WI) or touring sides who are unfamiliar with the conditions. The only series where they "should" find a challenge would be Aus, Eng and SA away (maybe NZ?), if they lose any series' apart from those ones you'd be pretty disappointed.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
From a ranking point of view, SENA countries are ranked 2-5. Below them sits Sri Lanka, Pakistan, WI and Bangladesh.

India are miles ahead of these countries. The SENA countries are all competitive against each other, which drags them individually down compared to India because when SENA countries tour Asia, the Asian countries are usually highly competitive or outright win. If (for example) South Africa were as dominant over Aus, NZ and England as India are over Sri Lanka and Bangladesh then SA would be challenging for the number 1 spot, even if they lost against a couple of Asian countries.

Sri Lanka falling off a cliff has really benefited India IMO.

Still, I'm glad that India have been competitive in this round of SENA tours. It makes for good, entertaining cricket. Which is why I really enjoyed the 03/04 tour where Australia had a terrible attack and therefore the tests were competitive.
Sri Lanka fell off the cliff only the last year or so. Even then they have defeated Aus 3-0, SA 2-0 and Pakistan 2-0 (in UAE) in the recent past and only lost to India 1-0 away. That is 7-8 test matches we are talking about. Pakistan have always been competitive in England and have drawn the last 2 series there.

England have lost 9 out of the last 10 matches in Aus and were also defeated in NZ recently. NZ lost the last test series in SA 1-0 and only saved the other match against a marauding Steyn due to rain. There are cases when Aus lost 2-3 in England but overall,SENA countries have not been all that competitive in other SENA countries.

TheJediBrah

Sri Lanka fell off the cliff only the last year or so. Even then they have defeated Aus 3-0, SA 2-0 and Pakistan 2-0 (in UAE) in the recent past and only lost to India 1-0 away. That is 7-8 test matches we are talking about. Pakistan have always been competitive in England and have drawn the last 2 series there.

England have lost 9 out of the last 10 matches in Aus and were also defeated in NZ recently. NZ lost the last test series in SA 1-0 and only saved the other match against a marauding Steyn due to rain. There are cases when Aus lost 2-3 in England but overall,SENA countries have not been all that competitive in other SENA countries.
I think you're still missing the point. For the purposes of the discussion, if whichever team is the home side tends to win eg. Aus v Eng, that is competitive when compared to India v SL or Bangladesh where India win regardless of where it is played. As I said, India play so much of their cricket in familiar conditions against either weak teams, or teams that are not used to Asian conditions, compared to the other Top 4-5 sides.

Also as I said though, I'm not sure that should be taken into account with Kohli because he's been just as good on the tough tours. Almost certainly affects the other Indian bats stats though.