• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF that Adelaide deck Kohli made his hundreds on was a **** load flatter than this one. I mean, Australia lost 12 wickets int eh match and declared twice on it. Not taking away from his performance back then, but this knock of Pujara's was far bigger in the context of the match.
Oh I agree 100%

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Has Bumrah's yorker fallen away over recent times? Hardly ever see him go for the blockhole these days. You would think Shami and Bumrah would be good at bowling those at will.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Great Pujara innings, but as others have said, multiple Indian batsmen have had some fantastic innings in Australia. And against vastly superior attacks. It's been the fast bowling that has improved significantly for India in the last 10-20 years.

Burgey

Has Bumrah's yorker fallen away over recent times? Hardly ever see him go for the blockhole these days. You would think Shami and Bumrah would be good at bowling those at will.
Wasn't really a block hole deck tbh. Had enough in it that he didn't really need it. I think he bowled a couple with the older ball.

vcs

They're good, but as good as the attack Sachin faced in '99? And I remember it was a pretty wet summer too that year. Ball was moving around a lot.

Even their 2007 attack wasn't bad at all. Lee 2.0, Johnson and Clark.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I just saw Mitchell Starc ended up with 5-103 for the match despite bowling rubbish. **** off. He's had so many of these spells in his career where the figures flatter him immensely.

OverratedSanity

They're good, but as good as the attack Sachin faced in '99? And I remember it was a pretty wet summer too that year. Ball was moving around a lot.

Even their 2007 attack wasn't bad at all. Lee 2.0, Johnson and Clark.
Warne McGrath? Arguably the greatest fast bowler and spinner of all time on the same team?
Let's wait for Dog's ratings. I'm confident it'll rate higher than the majority of the performances you guys are mentioning.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I only just now saw Paine's dismissal, and I have to say, what a ****ing idiot he is.

And I'm amazed how our batsmen keep wafting outside off inspite of it not working.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Really looking forward to Perth, Indian batsman are going to have a pretty hard time but I reckon Bumrah and Ishant would probably have something to say about the result.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will be very surprised if Oz doesn't pick the same squad for Perth

While I didn't agree with the selections and the batsmen predictably failed, it's fair enough as picking someone for one test is a bit of a joke

HOWEVER, if they fail again (and I predict that we'll be beaten comfortably), a number of batsmen should go

Most nervous will be Finch (who had a miserable match with the bat and in the field), and Handscomb (technique doesn't look up to test level and played 2 awful shots) but Khawaja shouldn't escape criticism as shot in the 2nd innings was disgraceful

From this test, only Harris (played a couple of awful shots but he showed a little bit), SMarsh being SMarsh and Head should feel remotely satisfied

Worst batting lineup in 30+ years

Burgey

I only just now saw Paine's dismissal, and I have to say, what a ****ing idiot he is.

And I'm amazed how our batsmen keep wafting outside off inspite of it not working.
Yeah there's something to that, but a big part of that comes about because they (both teams in the first dig) don't rotate the strike. The drop and go for a single is one of the most under rated parts of batting. Guys like Khawaja in particular don't seem to worry about it at all, which is flat out bizarre tbh. Bats himself into a hole. It's a weird skill not to have when you've played as much international cricket as he has. FMD, our bowlers probably worked ones better than either top six in this match. Maybe its the preponderance of boundaries hit at domestic level and in LO stuff these days, but the drop-and-go is almost a dying art. Simmo had our blokes onto it in the mid-80s when he came along, because he and Bill Lawry used to do it all the time to break up the field and the bowler's plans. It never fails to work.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He was great but that's a tad hyperbolic. Plenty of epic knocks by Sachin, Dravid, Kohli, Sehwag and Laxman competing for that accolade. Our batsmen have done relatively well in Australia compared to, say, SA, where such performances are much harder to come by.
Don't forget knocks by Vishy and Sandeep Patil on that '81 tour either. Had the likes of Lillee, Pascoe, and Hogg at their throats on pitches far faster than these.

Aritro

International Regular
The entire Australian batting order combined has the same number of test centuries as Mominul Haque and Tamim Iqbal.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah there's something to that, but a big part of that comes about because they (both teams in the first dig) don't rotate the strike. The drop and go for a single is one of the most under rated parts of batting. Guys like Khawaja in particular don't seem to worry about it at all, which is flat out bizarre tbh. Bats himself into a hole. It's a weird skill not to have when you've played as much international cricket as he has. FMD, our bowlers probably worked ones better than either top six in this match. Maybe its the preponderance of boundaries hit at domestic level and in LO stuff these days, but the drop-and-go is almost a dying art. Simmo had our blokes onto it in the mid-80s when he came along, because he and Bill Lawry used to do it all the time to break up the field and the bowler's plans. It never fails to work.
Should make them train with bats from the 60s to teach them how to place the ball properly.

Burgey

Don't forget knocks by Vishy and Sandeep Patil on that '81 tour either. Had the likes of Lillee, Pascoe, and Hogg at their throats on pitches far faster than these.
Will never forget that tour for Gavaskar's dummy spit in Melbourne on the slowest deck in cricket history. Was ****ing gold. Dilip Vengsarkar got ****ing screwed over royally with a howler that test as well. Ball hit his foot off Yardley (iirc) and went to Chappell at slip. Looked out in real time but came square off his toe.