• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
looked like his glove brushed the top of his pad though so he might've felt that
Possible. Did they show the Hotspot?

I think it's sometimes difficult for bat pad stuff because there's just so much contact happening simultaneously. I know at times when I jam my bat down into my pad I can't tell if I've got an inside edge or whether it's hit bat or pad first.
Well sure but this was supposedly off the glove. I think you'd feel even a tiny brush from the ball.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did I say he was distracted during a delivery because of everything else he has to do at the same time?

My point is that being bad a decision making != being bad at umpiring. There is a lot more to umpiring than making decisions. For all we know, Dharnasena is excellent at those. Don't need to **** on the man when you don't even understand the extent of his job and you just see him fail at a small part of it.
Lol

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly that was a poor non review but it was a terrible decision. Bullied by the Indian players.

mr_mister

Honestly that was a poor non review but it was a terrible decision. Bullied by the Indian players.
I feel some of the more humble/new players are hesitant to just review everything. It makes sense that they would be. His first review was wrong except that it was a noball

Only Watson and Kohli refuse to accept they're ever out and try and overturn every dismissal

Starfighter

Did I say he was distracted during a delivery because of everything else he has to do at the same time?

My point is that being bad a decision making != being bad at umpiring. There is a lot more to umpiring than making decisions. For all we know, Dharnasena is excellent at those. Don't need to **** on the man when you don't even understand the extent of his job and you just see him fail at a small part of it.
What are these things that Dharmasena is / may be excellent at and why do they outweigh his incompetence at giving decisions? The umpire's job is to umpire i.e. to conduct the game and give decisions according to the rules. Saying otherwise is pure bull****.

Borges

International Regular
Being bad at decision making == being utter rubbish at umpiring.

Should't have given Ashwin a free wicket like that; frustrate him for a reasonable amount of time and his bowling is likely to go to pieces. A la Harbhajan, and perhaps to a lesser extent Yasir Shah. The antethesis of bowlers like Kumble and Siddle.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lol there is so much more to umpiring than that. I just know the kind of detail and work required for Associate level and it's already quite demanding - I don't image Test Level umpiring would be any easier.

I'd elaborate but it's not like any of you care, you just wanna **** on Dharnasena for what you see on TV lol. And fair enough, umpiring is a thankless task. I don't know how good he is at the other tasks his role involves, or even how much more there is to do at Test level when compared to Associates, so I'll hold off judgement on him. Just letting you know there is a lot more to umpiring than what you see.
Yeah but if anything this just explains why people (like Dharmasena) who are clearly terrible at the things fans actually care about (like getting on-field decisions right) manage to ascend to the top of the field. This isn't a system that's working.

Starfighter

I don't get umpires who get bullied by the fielding team. Just shut out their bellicosity and go with what you actually saw and heard. I've been actually abused lots of times for not giving fairly obviously not-out decisions, the strength of the appeal has little to do with the correctness of the decision.

It would be nice if they gave us a replay that showed that it was out just to lay this to rest but they seem to use the cameras for fishing for shots in the crowd rather than watching the game.