• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Jack1

International Debutant
1)Ashwin
2)Pant
3)Virat
4)Karun Nair
5)
6)Pandya
8)
9)Shami
10))Ishant
11)Bumrah

I never imagined at the beginning of this tour that I would struggle to select a playing 11 out of 18 member squad. Seems drastic to open with those two but we might not go much worse than this. Such is our condition that Hardik who should be the first to be out from team has to be now in as he looked fine with bat and bowl at least in last match. Fill in the blanks for remaining spots please. I have no idea.
I think it’s perfectly fair and fine to pick your team based on conditions and the opponent.

Cricket in my view is set in its way. Not many forward thinkers watch cricket and lots of people are scared to think outside the box. I like your idea of Ashwin opening. I already mentioned him as a possible number three a few pages back, but opener might be a better idea to be honest.

I would be tempted to open with Ashton and Kohli and would down from there. I’d have to check the ins and outs (strengths, weaknesses etc) of a few players to fully assess this as I don’t know much about india’s Fringe players and players yet to play a test. You want players with level headed personalities and determined characters ideally in the top 6. 7-10 free thinkers and 11 as a pure bowler. In my view. England are so tough to beat in these conditions for a team from the background , climate and culture of India. I predicted 5-0 or 4-1 pre series, so the start of the series doesn’t at all surprise me. I think India are going to have to think outside the box to avoid 5-0

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a case for Lord's actually now being his favourite. 2nd bowler after Murali to take 100 wickets at a single venue (granted, Murali has done it at 3 different grounds) and his last 25 wickets at Lord's have come at an average of 12.
Only got to 100 as he plays 2 tests a year there. if he played 2 tests a year at Trent Bridge he'd be close to 700 test scalps by now.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pairs happen, and in such good bowling conditions I think Vijay would be a bit stiff to be thrown aside. Interesting to see how India handle this from a selection point of view, are they going to back in their players who they perceived as being the best before the series or are they going to thrown players aside impetuously.

TheJediBrah

I would love to see something funky like Ashwin opening the batting, just because funky things are awesome to see, not because it would necessarily work

Burgey

It would appropriately round out India's tour if he opened or batted three, copped one on the glove with the new ball and was out of the series.

Not that I want to see it happen, but it would fit beautifully into the way the whole tour has gone.. And give India another excuse for their pathetic performance, meaning they'll do nothing to remedy it ahead of the Australian summer.

cnerd123

likes this
It would appropriately round out India's tour if he opened or batted three, copped one on the glove with the new ball and was out of the series.

Not that I want to see it happen, but it would fit beautifully into the way the whole tour has gone.. And give India another excuse for their pathetic performance, meaning they'll do nothing to remedy it ahead of the Australian summer.
They'll do nothing to remedy it eitherway. And that's standard. No team going around can fix their flaws in the space of a few months. It's literally not possible once you get to the International level.

You interns have a lot to learn about cricket yet - maybe stop listening to Burgey for a while.

Burgey

You can take steps to re-mediate flaws in your game and your approach so you improve as an outfit. Did you not watch Australia's effort in India last year, and how their approach varied from what they'd previously done in the hell-hole? It made for a very competitive series. Comments such as yours demonstrate a lack of understanding about cricket, and sport in general. It's what one would expect from someone who's never really been in an environment where decent sport is played. No wonder the boss mostly sends us in TBT out to interact with you and cbf bothering to do so himself.

Daemon

The Indian team is full of people unwilling to admit mistakes and/or problems.

Pandya on whether it was the right choice to go with 2 spinners said that in a 5 day game, spinners would definitely come into play, conveniently forgetting that Day 1 had been washed out.

Shastri felt proud of his team when they lost 3-0 in Australia because they could have won a game where Australia declared twice.

"Come to India then we'll see"

They defend anything and back each other's stupid decisions constantly. It's a culture that needs to change if they are to accept their faults and actually try and fix them instead of thinking it's all a mental game.

cnerd123

likes this
You can take steps to re-mediate flaws in your game and your approach so you improve as an outfit. Did you not watch Australia's effort in India last year, and how their approach varied from what they'd previously done in the hell-hole? It made for a very competitive series. Comments such as yours demonstrate a lack of understanding about cricket, and sport in general. It's what one would expect from someone who's never really been in an environment where decent sport is played. No wonder the boss mostly sends us in TBT out to interact with you and cbf bothering to do so himself.
Australia didn't turn it around in the space of a few months, they did so over the course of 2 years.

It would have been nice if India did the whole pre-tour training camp/play Ireland first/make horse for course selections thing too, but they didn't. The time for that has now passed. To expect them to do anything between now and the Australia tour 3 months from now is ridiculous. Their schedule has been set, they barely have time between leaving England and landing in Australia to do a net session, let alone overhaul their techniques, strategies and team structure.

Burgey

Good. They're a pack of ****s (except Ashwin and Pujara) and I hope they lose every test they play between now and the end of the Australian summer.
- Burgey

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it was a very much short term prep embedded within a greater plan of not being absolute pants in the subcontinent. Probably starting with the installation of that subcontinent wicket here in Brisbane.