• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

cnerd123

likes this
They have. Kohli, Rahane, Karthik especially have been doing it a lot.

The problem with it is that when they're batting out of the crease and lunging out to counter the swing, it results in the shorter deliveries that Anderson bowls from time to time becoming dangerous. I'm pretty convinced this is one of the reasons the English bowlers have been so unplayable (the other bigger reason obviously being that they've bowled great). They've bowled their fair share of deliveries short of a length but the emphasis on getting forward is so great that the shorter deliveries which should be harmless are becoming very uncomfortable to face.
I think that lunging forward is just something they all do regardless of conditions. I've definitely seem Lokesh and Karthik do it. They don't usually have to deal with this degree of movement at speed, and seem to have built their games around getting on the front foot and committing early - allowing them to play nice drives and big lofted shots. If the ball is short they do that half forward/half back thing to punch/cut/pull it away. This works when you're play on pitches that bounce low and have no lateral movement, but it's a real problem here.

Vijay just keeps flirting with his offstump and trying to hit straight balls to leg instead of playing straight. I don't get it.

Rahane has just looked rubbish in general - really has been massively out of touch for a good while now. Should be dropped and given time to rediscover his touch.

cnerd123

likes this
You’re pretty much describing most modern batsmen who have grown up since 2000 tbh
yea already made a post about that somewhere about how we have the flat-pitch generation of batsmen trying to bring their techniques into non-flat pitches and thus all these collapses and one sided smashings in the last 5 years or so.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Many years ago when I was just coming into senior cricket, albeit obviously at a much, much lower level; one of the things coaches used to suggest when the ball was hooping was batting a long way out of your crease to combat it. I haven't watched much of the first two tests, but is that something the Indian batsmen have been trying against Anderson and Curran? I suspect it's not the accepted wisdom any more to do it, but it seems nothing they're doing atm is working, and neither of those blokes is quick enough that the batsmen would struggle with their pace if they gave it a try.
I heard the same advice growing up but never took it seriously, even though it was from reputable sources. I'd rather give myself more time to adjust.

Daemon

I heard the same advice growing up but never took it seriously, even though it was from reputable sources. I'd rather give myself more time to adjust.
The opening bowler at my club had the best and simplest response to a batsmen doing this - just bowl from a foot or so behind the crease to even it out.

anaksr

U19 Debutant
Pujara is so one of my favourite batsmen.... everything I like in a Test cricketer.

Pujara is probably the worst players who just scores on flat tracks and absolutely useless outside. Test cricket is in decline and its players like him who just eat up loads of balls just to score shiite amount of runs makes this game dull and boring. At the most he can draw a match on sub- continent pitch. imo

PS:- People used to think that he'll be next Dravid. Please stop dreaming coz he is no way near it not even the last version of dravid who was getting bowled out.

Top_Cat

Many years ago when I was just coming into senior cricket, albeit obviously at a much, much lower level; one of the things coaches used to suggest when the ball was hooping was batting a long way out of your crease to combat it. I haven't watched much of the first two tests, but is that something the Indian batsmen have been trying against Anderson and Curran? I suspect it's not the accepted wisdom any more to do it, but it seems nothing they're doing atm is working, and neither of those blokes is quick enough that the batsmen would struggle with their pace if they gave it a try.
Yeah as OS said, even Anderson still hits the seam so when they’ve tried batting forward, the one just back of a length still gets up and none of the Indian bats, Kohli included, plays that ball particularly well. Rarely see so many hands removed from bats as we’ve seen this series.

That said, **** them. Whenever a team is failing in a series, talk usually surrounds the bowling combo for the next game. This line-up are almost as desperate to feel wood on ball as the Aussies. Worse, when blokes like Pujara gobble up a lot of balls and then meekly get out, allowing England to force their way back in. About time the boys occupying the batty crease got a kicking.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Pujara is probably the worst players who just scores on flat tracks and absolutely useless outside. Test cricket is in decline and its players like him who just eat up loads of balls just to score shiite amount of runs makes this game dull and boring. At the most he can draw a match on sub- continent pitch. imo

PS:- People used to think that he'll be next Dravid. Please stop dreaming coz he is no way near it not even the last version of dravid who was getting bowled out.
So true. Aus drew a Test in India last year because he batted for 500+ balls in the innings.

vcs

This batting lineup is probably more dire than the '90s lot away from home. Maybe some of it is Kohli/Shastri's fault for chopping and changing too much and not allowing any confidence to build.

The difference between Kohli and the rest is more than Sachin in the '90s, bit like Lara when he had that great run of form in the early 2000s for WI after everyone else had retired.

OverratedSanity

Pujara is probably the worst players who just scores on flat tracks and absolutely useless outside.
He's not a flat track bully at all. Socres runs on some of the most difficult subcontinent tracks. Definite home track bully though. But those two terms should not be used interchangeably.

Last edited:

anaksr

U19 Debutant
Ashwin is a student of the game . He’s also a nice guy, a team player and likes to have fun. I think all these things make him a prime candidate to be a good batsman in these conditions . Woakes seems the sane minus the student of game part possibly. I do like Ashwin he’s a great player
Actually he is a good captaincy material in tests. If Virat is out for next match then remove Rahane and just make Ashwin as captain for god's sake.

Burner

International Regular
Has any top team ever had as bad a collectively bad showing as Indian batsmen have had overseas? I know Kohli's done good but he's the only one after 3 tests in SA and 2 in England. 3 of the 4 overseas half centuries and centuries scored by one man.

This series is going to get ugly if it already hasn't. I don't see India showing up in any more matches not when they are batting with toothpicks.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has any top team ever had as bad a collectively bad showing as Indian batsmen have had overseas? I know Kohli's done good but he's the only one after 3 tests in SA and 2 in England. 3 of the 4 overseas half centuries and centuries scored by one man.

This series is going to get ugly if it already hasn't. I don't see India showing up in any more matches not when they are batting with toothpicks.
Are you seriously forgetting SA recent tours of the subcontinent.... pretty sure that Aus qualifies as well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In another lifetime, I had a coach who was an old time test player - guy would be well over 100 if alive today

His belief was that you go back when the ball is swinging, let the ball do its work and play it under the eyes e.g. Smith

Easier said than done but more sense to me than plonking the foot down

Last edited: