• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Jack1

International Debutant
Agree Burns deserves a go, although I don't think he's the answer - Gubbins has clearly pissed Smith off otherwise he'd have had his chance by now

The answer is just the best available team. I know people want a gun side from 1 to 11, but it's not realistic. Burns and then Gubbins are potential options. We can only pick the best we have got. Jennings and Stoneman didn't deserve to play before Burns. I was wanting England to give Burns ago long before this season began.

They made a good pick with Rashid and then Pope. So I do hope they bring in Burns next and give him a fair chance of about 10 tests. If that doesn't work then Gubbins is next in line either then, or before that (if Cook fails in a test or two more he will have to be dropped imo. I hope he recovers form, but I highly doubt it)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The answer is just the best available team. I know people want a gun side from 1 to 11, but it's not realistic. Burns and then Gubbins are potential options. We can only pick the best we have got. Jennings and Stoneman didn't deserve to play before Burns. I was wanting England to give Burns ago long before this season began.

They made a good pick with Rashid and then Pope. So I do hope they bring in Burns next and give him a fair chance of about 10 tests. If that doesn't work then Gubbins is next in line either then, or before that (if Cook fails in a test or two more he will have to be dropped imo. I hope he recovers form, but I highly doubt it)
As I say I don't have a problem with Burns, but one thing I do struggle with is what Roy has to do to get a Test chance

fredfertang

Geez, Beefy is fat
The perils of getting old - for a few years after he retired I thought he looked in much better shape than in the last few years of his playing career - nowadays though he seems to get bigger by the day - made me smile yesterday when he was on about what a trencherman Gatt still was - in a contest my money would be on Sir Beefy

Jack1

International Debutant
As I say I don't have a problem with Burns, but one thing I do struggle with is what Roy has to do to get a Test chance

Roy and Hales aren't that proven though in FC cricket. Roy and Hales bat in the middle in CC cricket as they don't have the technique, or mentality, for red ball cricket as openers it seems. Hales struggled in tests as an opener and must not be confident of ever getting another chance in that role (hence the move to the middle over in FC).

I think Roy has given up the ghost for test cricket. His technique is practically pure t20 mode now, he's basically a slogger (and hasn't played a FC game in quite a while). I don't think England would roll the dice with him, I may be wrong (but I highly doubt it). If there is space for either of them it will be after Pope gets a run in the side. They need to give Pope 10 tests minimum and re-assess. The race is definitely run for the likes of Vince in test cricket. And can't see England going back to Bell again due to his age (even if it is harsh, I don't see the selectors picking him again no matter what). Obviously Hildreth has been given a bad deal too (recently and over the years), he's very unlucky to have never played a test match.

fredfertang

Roy and Hales aren't that proven though in FC cricket. Roy and Hales bat in the middle in CC cricket as they don't have the technique, or mentality, for red ball cricket as openers it seems. Hales struggled in tests as an opener and must not be confident of ever getting another chance in that role (hence the move to the middle over in FC).

I think Roy has given up the ghost for test cricket. His technique is practically pure t20 mode now, he's basically a slogger (and hasn't played a FC game in quite a while). I don't think England would roll the dice with him, I may be wrong (but I highly doubt it). If there is space for either of them it will be after Pope gets a run in the side. They need to give Pope 10 tests minimum and re-assess. The race is definitely run for the likes of Vince in test cricket. And can't see England going back to Bell again due to his age (even if it is harsh, I don't see the selectors picking him again no matter what). Obviously Hildreth has been given a bad deal too (recently and over the years), he's very unlucky to have never played a test match.
That's a great shame about Roy - I hadn't realised that

The thing that saddens me about T20 is this trend towards players choosing red ball or white ball - it's batting ffs - if you can do one well you can do the other just as well

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since the start of the SA tour, Kohli has scored 509 runs in 9 away innings. All other Indian batsmen who have batted in the top 5 ( i.e. Vijay, Dhawan, Pujara, Rahane, Rahul, Rohit and Parthiv) have contributed 465 runs in their 36 innings.

This is not very good.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
That's a great shame about Roy - I hadn't realised that

The thing that saddens me about T20 is this trend towards players choosing red ball or white ball - it's batting ffs - if you can do one well you can do the other just as well
I agree. Different formats need a different mindset slightly, but it's still just batting. I think it's more a confidence thing than anything else. If you have the skill set to boss any format then the only thing holding you back from being good in all three is mindset and lack of confidence imo

Spark

Global Moderator
Since the start of the SA tour, Kohli has scored 509 runs in 9 innings. All other Indian batsmen who have batted in the top 5 ( i.e. Vijay, Dhawan, Pujara, Rahane, Rahul, Rohit and Parthiv) have contributed 465 runs in their 36 innings.

This is not very good.
this has a very 2012 feel to it