• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
Even if they don't force a win in this match, England have it covered. India fall apart like an unstitched jacket in swinging conditions...............relax the series is ours.
Ours yours... I'm confused can I become English and still follow real football?

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
I have to wonder about people who get their kicks ****fighting over how terrible the side that's wining this game and series is. Some people love effing misery.

Since this thread today is going to be whinging about not declaring, while forgetting that they made this decision yesterday under the wrong assumption it was going to rain, I'm out.
I feel what people are eluding to is the fact the weather isn't consistent and declaring with a low total is a gamble couple those factors with low confidence it's too much of a gamble. However, if England win then this will be a major plus and give England a huge boost.

Last edited:

Groundking

International Debutant
It is quite remarkable how every opener we've tried in recent years has been found wanting - I can see Hales being asked to do a Rashid by the end of this series
Tbf the same is true of our middle order bats we've tried.

I'm starting to lean towards the opinion that we should just leave the opening spot to whoever for ages and ages and try to develop the guy on the job. I'm also starting to think that should Pope fail we should move Cook to 3, which forces Root to 4 where he's best. I say this as I read an article last year that suggested that perhaps part of the reason all the openers we've tried have failed is because of the looming dominant pressure of having to partner Cook, our leading run scorer, and that perhaps we just need a completely fresh set up top to learn to bat together without the pressure of having to partner the unpartnerable Cook. I also think it could breath fresh life into Cooks batting as he wouldn't always have to fight through the new ball.

Maybe it wouldn't work but it's an idea to try imo.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I feel what people are eluding to is the fact the weather isn't consistent and declaring with a low total is a gamble couple those factors with low confidence it's too much of a gamble. However, if England win then this will be a major plus and give England a huge boost.
I think it's a bigger gamble to keep batting this morning than to declare. The only way declaring backfires is if the forecast is ridiculously wrong, Inia bat like gods to create a 3 figure lead and then we collapse in a session and a half. All of those things might happen, but the combined probability is miniscule. Whereas this way the likeliest outcome is we just run out of overs to bowl them out.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you think the rise in T20 cricket has ruined the true form of the game... I feel it's a mercenary hybrid thing!
No, I wouldn't say that - it's the way the CC get's moved to the early spring and the arse end of the season that pisses me off

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Do you think the rise in T20 cricket has ruined the true form of the game... I feel it's a mercenary hybrid thing!
I have long argued that the amount of T20 cricket has been damaging. Originally, the group matches were played home or away, not both. Much better idea.

EDIT
Plus what Fred says about playing most of the CC matches in the spring or autumn. Obviously that's linked to the quantity of T20 games.

Jack1

International Debutant
Root is more sheepish than I thought. Batting on is incredibly negative. Is he actually scared he could lose from here? Hardly fills the batting line up with confidence does it. Nor does it fill the bowling line up with confidence, it's like he's saying that he actually thinks India can get into a position with a 100+ lead where they have even a remote sniff of winning. Poor captaincy from Root.

fredfertang

I think it's a bigger gamble to keep batting this morning than to declare. The only way declaring backfires is if the forecast is ridiculously wrong, Inia bat like gods to create a 3 figure lead and then we collapse in a session and a half. All of those things might happen, but the combined probability is miniscule. Whereas this way the likeliest outcome is we just run out of overs to bowl them out.
Agreed though there is a danger that if we had declared overnight that India, with a half fit Kohli, would've been all out before lunch

Jack1

International Debutant
It is quite remarkable how every opener we've tried in recent years has been found wanting - I can see Hales being asked to do a Rashid by the end of this series
Burns has the most runs by miles in CC1 and the healthiest FC average out of all England's openers (apart from Cook) by a distance. Hales is poor in FC cricket and already failed as an opener. He doesn't even open the batting in county cricket these days, because he can't cope with the moving ball in English conditions in FC set up. They need to try Burns next, he is proven in FC cricket as an opener. Then Gubbins..

Jack1

International Debutant
:laugh: Woooosssssshhhhhh......
Daemon knew exactly what I was doing. I knew what he was doing. I think you are so uptight you don't realise I know. It shows Daemon is relaxed though and you're not, I'll remember that. I think you need to take everyone with a pinch of salt as you're barking up the wrong tree in this case. You'd have to be born yesterday to not realise what his post was.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much better start with the ball today. We need to dry up the runs as opposed to anything else though.

fredfertang

Burns has the most runs by miles in CC1 and the healthiest FC average out of all England's openers (apart from Cook) by a distance. Hales is poor in FC cricket and already failed as an opener. He doesn't even open the batting in county cricket these days, because he can't cope with the moving ball in English conditions in FC set up. They need to try Burns next, he is proven in FC cricket as an opener. Then Gubbins..
Agree Burns deserves a go, although I don't think he's the answer - Gubbins has clearly pissed Smith off otherwise he'd have had his chance by now

Jack1

International Debutant
Much better start with the ball today. We need to dry up the runs as opposed to anything else though.
I think time wasting with a slow over rate and keeping it tight yes from India's point of view. I have no idea why England are still batting tbh. It shows Root's out of his depth as captain. But that being said the likes of Cook and Strauss were too (very negative captains and fear of failure). England are only harming their chances of winning not, the chances of losing is virtually nil. Negative captain. The teams that dominate in test cricket play to win and aren't scared of losing. The best captains don't have a fear of failure at all.