• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
After three innings of a series how many teams have had the second highest scorer score only 31 as his highest score, I wonder.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wonder if we will try and have a bowl tonight, sneak an early wicket.
Wouldn't be surprised.

That said (1) it's day three still, so any declaration would be on the highly dodgy grounds of weather and (2) run scoring this evening is easy, and it probably won't be again for the rest of the game.

So no declaration is perfectly sensible too

Jack1

International Debutant
Wouldn't be surprised.

That said (1) it's day three still, so any declaration would be on the highly dodgy grounds of weather and (2) run scoring this evening is easy, and it probably won't be again for the rest of the game.

So no declaration is perfectly sensible too
I'm just about ok with Root not declaring yet in the context of the game and the series. But when the lead hits 300 he ought to be declaring straight away and setting extremely attacking fields for the rest of the match.

With England being ~250 runs ahead (and chance of bad weather) it's much better to err towards an aggressive declaration. The chances of a loss now are slim to none. Batting on reduces the percentage chances of a win more than it reduces the chances of a loss (as chances of a loss = practically nil).

With the risk of bad light tonight (and bad weather D4 and 5) I would expect England to bat the night out at a decent run rate and declare first thing in the morning after getting lead to 300. I hope so anyway. They are off now for light, didn't realise it was that close to the players going off.

Last edited:

BSM

U19 Cricketer
I swear Root managed to get the only ball that's kept low in the whole game. Frustrating because he seems to be in good form. Hopefully saving the big scores for the final three tests. Difficult to judge our batsmen in conditions where all batsmen apart from Woakes have struggled. Though we might have had easier conditions to play with, I doubt that this was to such a massive extent that the dispairty in the scores would suggest. I don't think that the Indian bowlers would have been able to exploit the extremely advantageous conditions yesterday as well as Anderson and Woakes were able to. They've bowled with poor consistency. If we get to a second Indian innings then I'm expecting a similar score to be honest.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Burns has scored a decent amount of runs but I look at him and I don't really see a test batsman. It's a really obscure, strange technique - and whilst there are some outliers who make successes of strange techniques (see Steve Smith), I don't see him being a success at test level. I wouldn't give him a go, but if he does I hope he succeeds obviously.

Sam Curran seems to have played the spin well. Last game he seemed to play Ashwin better than any of the other left handers, so much so that Kohli took Ashwin off early in the second innings. It'll be an interesting one with the winter ahead. His bowling you wouldn't have thought would be particularly penetrative in Asia and WI but I think the batting will keep him close to selection. As a bowler he may want to try and use Chaminda Vaas as his guideline of how to potentially bowl this winter for the tours of SL and West Indies.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Woakes plays home matches like a guy who has spent ten years averaging 40+ with the bat and low 20s with the ball in county cricket. Kind of sucks for his career record that he’s had injury issues the last two home summers but played in the away Ashes.

Anyway so chuffed for him. Guy has had to reinvent himself so many times and it’s kind of unappreciated how many injury issues he’s had throughout his career. All three honours boards at Lord’s. Cant be too many who have done that.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Would be nice to see Gubbins and Burns start a partnership together, since they seem the only two in contention. Jennings has out-scored Cook in this series so far. Not saying I like Jennings, he's clearly s*** but he's no worse than Cook atm.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Woakes plays home matches like a guy who has spent ten years averaging 40+ with the bat and low 20s with the ball in county cricket. Kind of sucks for his career record that he’s had injury issues the last two home summers but played in the away Ashes.

Anyway so chuffed for him. Guy has had to reinvent himself so many times and it’s kind of unappreciated how many injury issues he’s had throughout his career. All three honours boards at Lord’s. Cant be too many who have done that.
He has raised a thorny question if Stokes is available for the next test. On merit, Woakes would stay in the team and Broad would step down; not just for his batting, but he bowled so well yesterday.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Stokes is available and mentally ready if we were 2-0 up after this test then rotating Broad for a game makes sense. Though he does have a great recent record at Trent Bridge.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see that by not taking advantage of a nice, bright and sunny morning and starting at 10 only 81 overs were bowled today due to bad light. Seriously England, get it into your thick skulls that there are better ways to make up overs than going on into the stygian gloom of the evening. Idiots.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What? In 90% of cases it makes perfect sense to play the extra time in the evening in Eng rather than the morning.

It's not something you can make a call on a day by day basis.

Last edited: