• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, Root's confirmed that Pope will definitely bat at 4 as a direct replacement for Malan.
Not what I'd have done, but meh.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Rankings don't tell the truth but Jadeja is currently the no.3 bowler in the world and no.2 allrounder. Yes, that's been in Indian conditions and he's more effective on turners but he's come a long long way since his past overseas tours.The pitches in the series against England were very good batting tracks and both sides scored 400-600 consistently and he was our best bowler in the series and had the English batsmen on toast.

On top of that he's a very useful batsman -> remember we have to be "unenterprising" or "conservative" given our batting track record of late. We can't have Ashwin at 7 and 4 no.11s from 8-11.

Plus Jadeja's the best fielder in the world. Absolute gun, anywhere around the ground. One runout can really change the momentum of the match as we saw last match.
Didn't Jajdeja drop two easy catches in consecutive balls off Narine in this year's IPL? He's a good fielder, but lol

Borges

International Regular
I do hope that this Lollipop does well; England's bold move towards blooding test prospects when they are young deserves success.
Is he going to be the new wicket keeper too?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I do hope that this Lollipop does well; England's bold move towards blooding test prospects when they are young deserves success.
Is he going to be the new wicket keeper too?
No. Pope doesn't even keep wicket for his county in their FC games, and England already have two keepers in the test side.

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Didn't Jajdeja drop two easy catches in consecutive balls off Narine in this year's IPL? He's a good fielder, but lol
I was perhaps being slightly controversial with such a big statement, but the point is that he's a gun fielder and is one of the best in the world no doubt. Jadeja dropping catches in that game was highly unusual because he's excellent. I've lost count of the number of brilliant catches and runouts he's affected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3sMrRmgl6s (gun catch of Williamson)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmr7qI-mjUg (Some of Jadeja's best efforts)
https://www.iplt20.com/video/105000/lightning-jadeja-strikes-twice
https://www.iplt20.com/video/100278/that-game-changing-run-out-by-jadeja

Anyway, don't want to sidetrack this discussion but as a package his batting and fielding are way better than Kuldeep, and he's now a no.3 rated ICC Test Bowler. So picking Jadeja over Kuldeep shouldn't be a controversial decision.

Borges

International Regular
No. Pope doesn't even keep wicket for his county in their FC games, and England already have two keepers in the test side.
Ah, thanks. I asked because he did keep for England A in their four day games against India A and West Indies A, and the two keepers already in the test side are both below test standard.

Borges

International Regular
So picking Jadeja over Kuldeep shouldn't be a controversial decision.
It won't be a controversial decision; it would just be a very timid decision.
Based on reports on what the pitch looks like right now, and what the weather is likely to be, picking two spinners in the eleven may become a controversial decision.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, thanks. I asked because he did keep for England A in their four day games against India A and West Indies A, and the two keepers already in the test side are both below test standard.
tbh I didn't realise that Pope kept for the England A team recently.

Maybe the selectors will surprise me tomorrow.

Groundking

International Debutant
Bairstow is a quality keeper what are you on about?

cnerd123

likes this
Is Bairstow a better pure gloveman than Saha? He's the better allround player but I'd go for Saha as the better keeper