• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My point is all of them are crap. Yours is arguably less crap but at the end of the day still worthless imo.
ouch

I still like it

If someone hits a double ton against my team and the skipper drags me out of slip to chuck (literally chuck) a few offies out of desperation and I get him caught at deep mid wicket I will claim that victory

Burgey

ouch

I still like it

If someone hits a double ton against my team and the skipper drags me out of slip to chuck (literally chuck) a few offies out of desperation and I get him caught at deep mid wicket I will claim that victory
You can write a book about it..

- TBT

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ouch

I still like it

Sheepishly, I hope

Bahseph

International Debutant
Anderson is always going to trouble him, or any other batsman ever, if he bowls as well as he did yesterday. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the other guy.

I'm not going off this innings alone, which had a big dollop of luck, but Kohli has made runs when the ball swings, as much as people may want to convince you otherwise. e.g. Jo'burg 2013. England 2014 was just a bad run of form for him. Even earlier this year in the 3rd Test vs. SA, he made 100 runs in some of the toughest batting conditions you will ever see. And there was no weak link in that SA attack, unlike Broad yesterday. If Broad had been at his best, India would not have crossed 100.
The most praise Andile Phehlukwayo's bowling has ever got hahaha. But seriously great innings by Kohli. To me it doesn't matter how "lucky" a batsman is, a match winning innings doesn't have to be a chance less one. England had the opportunity to be well ahead in this game.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Yeah Cook has been done for a while in my opinion. Many many failures followed by one good score in probably a dead match on a perfect pitch with a guy missing who’s had you on toast. For a guy that’s supposed to have a safe pair of hands whenever he takes a dolly he sure shells a lot of catches.

He will probably get a hundred nexts week on a flat deck with no spin and no movement and I’m sure that’ll be Cook back to his best and all the doubters are wrong.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah Cook has been done for a while in my opinion. Many many failures followed by one good score in probably a dead match on a perfect pitch with a guy missing who’s had you on toast. For a guy that’s supposed to have a safe pair of hands whenever he takes a dolly he sure shells a lot of catches.

He will probably get a hundred nexts week on a flat deck with no spin and no movement and I’m sure that’ll be Cook back to his best and all the doubters are wrong.
He is nowhere near what he was but seeing the conveyor belt of mediocrity we have tried since Strauss retired alongside him then it would be foolish to dump our leading scorer ever and give us 2 numpties. He does occasionally get a good score and that isn't good enough but not like we have lots of options to replace him.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure who would say that tbh. I can't say I've seen anyone (on here at least) backing Cook like that......I'm probably up there with his biggest fanbois and I even I know he's done.

But there's a couple of things to think about here. Say he does score a ton next week on a flat deck........we'll I'm not seeing too many of the rest of the top order doing that. The last 100 we've had out of out top 5 was Cook's 244 at the MCG........sure flat deck, oppos best bowler out etc........no other **** managed it though did they?

And second, seriously.....who can replace him? If we had blokes knocking the the door down for top order batting spots then sure.......time to hang up the boots Chef. But FMD, we've been trying for 6 years to find a replacement for Strauss with no success, how the hell can we replace Cook right now?

He is well past his best......we all know that, but I think right now he is doing a great service to his country by hanging in there.

Daemon

Not sure who would say that tbh. I can't say I've seen anyone (on here at least) backing Cook like that......I'm probably up there with his biggest fanbois and I even I know he's done.

But there's a couple of things to think about here. Say he does score a ton next week on a flat deck........we'll I'm not seeing too many of the rest of the top order doing that. The last 100 we've had out of out top 5 was Cook's 244 at the MCG........sure flat deck, oppos best bowler out etc........no other **** managed it though did they?

And second, seriously.....who can replace him? If we had blokes knocking the the door down for top order batting spots then sure.......time to hang up the boots Chef. But FMD, we've been trying for 6 years to find a replacement for Strauss with no success, how the hell can we replace Cook right now?

He is well past his best......we all know that, but I think right now he is doing a great service to his country by hanging in there.
If there's one thing you can count on it's Indian bowlers trying their best to bring batsman back into form.

I mean look at Ponting. In his last 10 series before retirement he was garbage in all but two series - both Border-Gavaskars In a slump where he was struggling to average 30 he averaged more than a 100 in a 4 test series against us.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The problem with the Cook thing is the same as the captaincy.

You can say he is kinda ****, but then you give the captaincy to Root who is even ****ter. It'll be the same most likely if he quits. They'll bring in Rory Burns or whoever and they have two openers struggling and averaging 20.

I find it tough watching England in test cricket. It should be fun watching Cook, Root and Bairstow.

It's tough watching Cook fail as much as he does.
Root is a woeful captain. Anderson bowled 22 of the first 61 overs yesterday - in the first innings of a 5 match test series. He may well of killed England's chance for the series right there. No doubt Anderson wanted to keep bowling but Root has to protect him for the good of the team.
Bairstow and his mindless aggression. Can't bat like he does at 5. Don't know if it's subconscious but it's almost like he's trying to bat like a WKBatsman. He knows if he scores a couple of hundreds they'll make him drop the gloves to Buttler, and he doesn't want that.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I don't get all the fuss about Cook going on myself.

He nearly averages, well over 50 ( and within 3 runs) in Asia what Sachin Tendulkar does, but Cook has undeniably one of the hardest jobs in the world, opening the batting with a Dukes ball in England.

I personally think that he's far from done. Form is temporary, class is permanent, etc. Yes, Ashwin has snagged him a couple of times, and may well do a few more times this series.

But any English opener averaging over 44 in England is one heck of a batsman. Warner, his competition for modern rival, averages a mere 37 in England.

Cook will bat through this series is my bet. And he may well be still there when India next tour. If Cook was eligible for any Asian nation, he'd be a shoo-in of selection. And England

have a batting shortage anyway.

Last edited:

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
I’d rather see them blood a new batsman. What happens when Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson come over next year? They’ll be laughing! He’s never been able to play decent quicks well and I’d much rather see England prepare now because the signs he is depleting are there.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I’d rather see them blood a new batsman. What happens when Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson come over next year? They’ll be laughing! He’s never been able to play decent quicks well and I’d much rather see England prepare now because the signs he is depleting are there.
Nah, England wins the Ashes easy again next year if Patto is still injured. Quote me ;)

Pattinson is the real game changer because he is, imo, a complete bowler for England. (I think he is the best Australian bowler of all for tests, and a serious contender for the best in the world). But he's always injured or about to be!

Last edited:

R!TTER

State Regular
What happens when Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson come over next year?
Ah the fabled four, when was the last time Australia played 4 frontline quicks over 5 tests, what about goat?

Burgey

It’s nearly September, that time each year we get the news about Patto’s latest injury which will rule him out for he season. It’s such a shame, he’s mad as a cut snake and quality to boot. Could’ve been our Dale Steyn.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/back-in-the-groove-pattinson-eyes-comeback-in-domestic-one-day-series-20180622-p4zn57.html

My best,
Burgey.

Last edited:

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Yeah, Cummins has to be up there too. But then Starc demolishes tails and Hazlewood is no slouch either! Let’s just see if Stokes can avoid punching people too, eh?

I think this is a perfect series to blood a new opener. India’s seam attack won’t be too great in England imo. There’s two injuries but despite what people say on here, Bhuvie isn’t world class. Will either of them play any part in the tests? Or are they both out.

Oh, plus Nathan Lyon and the 26 left handers England have.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@Burgey: I remember seeing his first test series and going WOW. What a player. He is your Shane Bond.