• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I mean, cricket is still won by the side that scores more runs, not who scores them quicker. Strike Rate is forever going to be secondary to actually scoring runs, no matter how much the game changes.
That's why it is called overs cricket and limited overs right *****? :laugh:

Like I said John, adjustment. They're not ready.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get what John's saying. It's somewhat like Baz's knock in the WC semi final against SA. It just let the batsmen coming in breathe that much easier. If Root and co come in knowing they need to only knock it around at barely 4.5 rpo, the games already won.

cnerd123

likes this
Sure it does. Not that there was much pressure to begin with chasing 260.

I just found it funny that John would choose to highlight that specifically (twice in the same post) and not even mention Root and Morgan scoring like 65% of the runs together. Its like a meme how much value he puts on that SR when you see his posting in this thread.

Tbh probably wouldn't have said anything if another poster wanted to comment on Bairstow's innings being valuable. The fact that he got so defensive of it and brought up Dhoni again was just lols.

Top_Cat

It's the old Gilchrist vs Ponting MVP debate again.

I doubt Root would argue that Bairstow took the pressure off but equally, I doubt Bairstow would disagree that he could walk out and spank it because he knew the banker, Root, was coming in next. Both have their place, that's what team sport is about ffs.

Top_Cat

I get what John's saying. It's somewhat like Baz's knock in the WC semi final against SA. It just let the batsmen coming in breathe that much easier. If Root and co come in knowing they need to only knock it around at barely 4.5 rpo, the games already won.
No it isn't. Someone still has to win it, plenty of examples in cricket history where a quick start didn't guarantee the win, especially with the current Aussie side.

It's easier, yes.

Daemon

I doubt Root would argue that Bairstow took the pressure off but equally, I doubt Bairstow would disagree that he could walk out and spank it because he knew the banker, Root, was coming in next. Both have their place, that's what team sport is about ffs.
100%

Jack1

International Debutant
No it isn't. Someone still has to win it, plenty of examples in cricket history where a quick start didn't guarantee the win, especially with the current Aussie side.

It's easier, yes.
England aren’t minnows. They bat to 10 and plenty of gun batters. England knew if they got a flier they just needed to bat and not worry about run rate. This isn’t ten years ago. This was a small chase. Bairstow gave a nice platform for a double anchor for a team that bats to 10. This isn’t test cricket with a red dukes ball on a test match surface. This was easy mode for England after the start.

A flier demoralises the bowlers of the opposition and the fielding side too. You are living in the caveman ages of ODI cricket still it seems. It would have been looking for 350 minimum if they batted first yesterday.

I think the bottom part of you post, that contradicts your initial argument, is exactly the point here. It also shows you are in two minds with who to be agreeing with here. The quick 30 set the tone and made the chase easier. That was the point. No one said Bairstow won the match himself. It was a team effort

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Sure it does. Not that there was much pressure to begin with chasing 260.

I just found it funny that John would choose to highlight that specifically (twice in the same post) and not even mention Root and Morgan scoring like 65% of the runs together. Its like a meme how much value he puts on that SR when you see his posting in this thread.

Tbh probably wouldn't have said anything if another poster wanted to comment on Bairstow's innings being valuable. The fact that he got so defensive of it and brought up Dhoni again was just lols.
John doesn't care who scored the runs with 8 wickets in hand. He expected them to be scored with that Required Run Rate and over 5 overs in hand anyway. It kinda is a point within a point.

He values SR more, and this is just demonstrative of his value.

anaksr

U19 Debutant
India squad for first three tests against England

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cricket...-tests-against-england_sto6852669/story.shtml

Squad: Virat Kohli (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Murali Vijay, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Karun Nair, Dinesh Karthik (wicketkeeper), Rishabh Pant (wicketkeeper), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Shardul Thakur

PS:- Bhuvi's seems to be out for time being due to injury

Jack1

International Debutant

Well yeah, that’s the point. Bairstow got England off to an ideal start. The rest finished the job off. Particularly Root and Morgan. England still had tons of batting in the shed left over too.

I do think however Bairstow would know the whole line up was a banker as we bat all the way down . It was literally his role to get us off to a flier.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned

"Team sport", that is exactly where John is going with this with bat deep and SR though.

He cares more about a win than whether Willey at 8 or 9 hits the winning runs than Joe Root at 3.

He doesn't care about Joe Root's average. He cares about wins, and he has determined SR as being more important than averages of not out batsmen failing to chase the winning score. Controversial as that may be.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
John doesn't care who scored the runs with 8 wickets in hand. He expected them to be scored with that Required Run Rate and over 5 overs in hand anyway. It kinda is a point within a point.

He values SR more, and this is just demonstrative of his value.
Yeah exactly. It’s a team sport. I don’t care who gets them, just that the team scores them. It’s a team effort.

India and Indian’s are obsessed by individuals at times. I’m concerned about the collective and combined team effort. Everyone played their part in the chase and we cruised it, with plenty of batting left over.

OverratedSanity

India squad for first three tests against England

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cricket...-tests-against-england_sto6852669/story.shtml

Squad: Virat Kohli (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Murali Vijay, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Karun Nair, Dinesh Karthik (wicketkeeper), Rishabh Pant (wicketkeeper), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Shardul Thakur

PS:- Bhuvi's seems to be out for time being due to injury
Along with the official squad announcement, the BCCI release also stated that pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar had aggrevated a lower back condition during the ODI series decider in Leeds on Tuesday and was being looked at by the board’s medical team. A final call on his fitness will be made soon.
Injured our trump card in England by playing him in a meaningless ODI, a format he's not even good at. Perfect. This tour will be a ****show.

Top_Cat

England aren’t minnows. They bat to 10 and plenty of gun batters. England knew if they got a flier they just needed to bat and not worry about run rate. This isn’t ten years ago. This was a small chase. Bairstow gave a nice platform for a double anchor for a team that bats to 10. This isn’t test cricket with a red dukes ball on a test match surface. This was easy mode for England after the start.

A flier demoralises the bowlers of the opposition and the fielding side too. You are living in the caveman ages of ODI cricket still it seems. It would have been looking for 350 minimum if they batted first yesterday.

I think the bottom part of you post, that contradicts your initial argument, is exactly the point here. It also shows you are in two minds with who to be agreeing with here. The quick 30 set the tone and made the chase easier. That was the point. No one said Bairstow won the match himself.
So where's the disagreement exactly? I literally said both contributed. Can do without the snide bull**** too, thanks.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Injured our trump card in England by playing him in a meaningless ODI, a format he's not even good at. Perfect. This tour will be a ****show.
Pity.

It would have been nice to see India stamp their claim to number 1 after losing away tours in seamer friendly countries like in Australia, Pakistan, NZ, Eng, and SA on their last tours there.

anaksr

U19 Debutant
Bhuvi as per the sources has aggravated his back injury and will be accessed.
Bumrah too is not sure till 2nd test
Shami is on and off bowler
Umesh Yadav - not promising of late
Ishant- Only bright spot as per present form
Shardul's selection is joke. IMO

I have this feeling that this will be a long tour for Indian team.

Jack1

International Debutant
So where's the disagreement exactly? I literally said both contributed.
Ok. It was the order of wording in your post that confused me. It was like you were countering my point and agreeing at the same time. I think you were sitting on the fence maybe and trying to agree both ways, but that was essentially the point I was trying to make. If you’re in full agreement no worries then!

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah exactly. It’s a team sport. I don’t care who gets them, just that the team scores them. It’s a team effort.

India and Indian’s are obsessed by individuals at times. I’m concerned about the collective and combined team effort. Everyone played their part in the chase and we cruised it, with plenty of batting left over.
Yeah, I think you may be onto something here, its like if my team doesn't win, I still hope my best players still do well to prove they're still the best.

This if true is cross cultural, not limited to India, but it is apparently more heartfelt in some cultures than others.

For instance, NZ media accused all 12 NZC fans of the same thing when he scored big at the Gabba in a huge team loss.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Lol at 'someone would have scored the runs, it doesn't matter who'

People think this is a tabletop cricket game or smth

Last edited: