• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think there's a point to be made about how it's gross to take pleasure in stars falling from former glory, but i think there's a sense that Doni was selfishly playing for his average today rather than just not having it anymore.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dhoni always bats for his average. Just look at his stats. Horrendous strike rate and huge number of not outs. Pathetic really
The majority of the time his not out in the second innings is because he’s lead India to a win. Would have to be a very blinkered person to not recognise that. Anything he does now or in the future shouldn’t take it away from him being up there as the best keeper bat in ODI history (I accept others prefer Gilchrist but IMO they’re wrong to).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For every match I've seen Dhoni help win in a chase I've seen 3 or 4 that he has almost single-handedly lost. I've never really got why anyone rates him tbh.

A big part of that probably because I've only really seen him outside Asia, and apparently he's very different when playing at home

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Kohli defends Dhoni after boos at Lord's - ESPNcricinfo

At the presentation, Kohli reasoned that Dhoni's plan was to ensure India did not suffer a big defeat.

"The idea was to take the innings deep," Kohli said. "We don't want to lose by 160 or 170 runs. You want to take it as deep as you can and he has got the experience, but some days it just doesn't come off. People just jump to conclusions, which we as a team don't. We totally believe in him and in the abilities in all the other players."...

Chahal said Dhoni was helpless. "He had not also batted much through the series. And if he had gone for the shots and got out then probably India might not have played all the 50 overs."

OverratedSanity

Why can't they just say he had a bad day and will bounce back strong next game or something generic like that instead of this nonsense?

cnerd123

likes this
What a pathetic excuse that is. I hope they don't actually believe it.
There isn't anything wrong with trying to bat out 50 overs in a losing run chase in a situation where NRR matters, like the WC, it's just a bad excuse to use in this scenario because the game was not dead when Dhoni walked in. He killed it.

Borges

International Regular
Why can't they just say he had a bad day?
They can't just say he had a bad day: a bad day is one where you try to keep up within sighting distance of the asking rate and get out cheaply.

Ok, they did not want to come out say that this guy is past it and ought to be put to pasture; they could have tried saying that he had an an extended 'brain fade',
After all, if the Australians fell for the brain-fade theory hook, line and sinker, it is a reasonable gamble to assume that the others would, too.

Daemon

India spinner Yuzvendra Chahal, the number 11 batsman who was the last wicket to fall, also backed the senior member of the side, claiming: "We had already lost the match so we saw it as practice for the next match."
wtf

Borges

International Regular
The news media is not particularly harsh, right now. Stuff like this:
Dhoni's innings may not have been quite as extraordinary as India great Sunil Gavaskar's infamous 'go-slow' against England at Lord's in the inaugural match of the first World Cup in 1975, when the celebrated opener carried his bat for 36 not out in a 60-over match his side lost by a mammoth 202 runs, but it was curious all the same.
The coming days could be somewhat more interesting.

Last edited:

R!TTER

State Regular
The majority of the time his not out in the second innings is because he’s lead India to a win. Would have to be a very blinkered person to not recognise that. Anything he does now or in the future shouldn’t take it away from him being up there as the best keeper bat in ODI history (I accept others prefer Gilchrist but IMO they’re wrong to).
The majority of the times I've seen him at the end of a win is when Yuvraj, Raina or Kohli set the chase up. If you take the first 2 or 4 years of his career out, he's never been the finisher that people glorify him to be. Our best chases have been set up by SRT, Sehwag, Gambhir i.e. top order & he's been there at the end, barely! The chase against Aus in Aus 2012, when Gambhir criticized his approach, was classic Dhoni - playing defensively till the last over or two. He was lucky there was no Starc IIRC, otherwise an easy chase would've looked impossible at the end. Similar thing happened in 2016 run chase, 4th ODI against Aus. We were cruising along & he stuffed it up! The guy has no balls or shame, he should be relegated to his favorite IPL team period.
For every match I've seen Dhoni help win in a chase I've seen 3 or 4 that he has almost single-handedly lost. I've never really got why anyone rates him tbh.

A big part of that probably because I've only really seen him outside Asia, and apparently he's very different when playing at home
An ordinary slogger outside Asia is what I'd label him as.

Last edited: