• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Uh, so much Dhoni-hate in this thread now! Sure today he played like Misbah (or like Stokes in the last match), and sure he's nowhere close to old Dhoni but it's not true that he can't hit boundaries these days. He has hit some in this year's IPL.

cnerd123

likes this
The worst thing about seeing an ATG out of their prime is seeing people who are actively enjoying it. Like, people revelling in a great man's failures. A man who has accomplished so much now being derided and mocked by keyboard warriors who feel some sense of glee by watching him suck.

Criticise, question, condemn, sure. But who could be happy after watching Dhoni bat like that? What does it say about someone who takes pleasure from what we just saw happen?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The worst thing about seeing an ATG out of their prime is seeing people who are actively enjoying it. Like, people revelling in a great man's failures. A man who has accomplished so much now being derided and mocked by keyboard warriors who feel some sense of glee by watching him suck.

Criticise, question, condemn, sure. But who could be happy after watching Dhoni bat like that? What does it say about someone who takes pleasure from what we just saw happen?
Are you really trying to suggest that this isn't predictable for those of us who have watched Dhoni bat in the past years? Or are you suggesting that my prescient abilities leave Nostradamus in the shade?

I'll let you into a secret, Dhoni has long been a meme on many websites.

Last edited:

R!TTER

State Regular

Yeah because one man is greater than the nation or national team he's representing? We've all seen what happened in England 2011, Aus 2011/12 & India 2012 then again in SA/NZ/Eng/Aus away tours & this man just didn't quit, even working under Kohli (in tests) was too much for him! If losing this man means India wins more then I'd lose a 100 ATG players in the squad.

cnerd123

likes this
obviously its predictable, doesn't mean it's something to enjoy. The man's a legend of the game and here he is playing on as a shadow of his former self. This is sad. It's depressing to watch.

Haters taking this as an opportunity to come out of the woodwork and act as tho he was never any good, and regaling in his failures as some sort of personal victory of their own is just disgusting to watch. And it happens with all ATGs in all sports. It's terrible. Legit the worst part of watching a sporting great on the decline I feel. It's the fans. Makes you want to avoid all forms of sports discussion all together.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
obviously its predictable, doesn't mean it's something to enjoy. The man's a legend of the game and here he is playing on as a shadow of his former self. This is sad. It's depressing to watch.

Haters taking this as an opportunity to come out of the woodwork and act as tho he was never any good, and regaling in his failures as some sort of personal victory of their own is just disgusting to watch. And it happens with all ATGs in all sports. It's terrible. Legit the worst part of watching a sporting great on the decline I feel. It's the fans. Makes you want to avoid all forms of sports discussion all together.
Yeah, you're taking the internet too seriously.

I don't hate Dhoni. Don't even know him. But I have followed his career, and I know of his meme. Whether he is in fact a legend of the game is something for the threads to debate.

I don't take this as a personal victory, perhaps you take it as a personal loss re Buttler. That's your call. Personally you seem to be surprised by his (rather predictable for many as OS said) decline today, tbh - I don't even remember when any supposed decline started. He is just MS Dhoni to me.

Last edited:

R!TTER

State Regular

Enjoy, you think anyone's enjoying test match batting in an ODI when the required run rate is North of 8 or 10 all the time? The fans at Lords probably want a refund, I also want a refund for the Sony Six sports package I purchased! This isn't funny, he's making money whilst making the paying public look like fools! Would you prefer Nadal or Djoker giving up in the final set when they've played for 5 or 6 straight hours?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Enjoy, you think anyone's enjoying test match batting in an ODI when the required run rate is North of 8 or 10 all the time? The fans at Lords probably want a refund, I also want a refund for the Sony Six sports package I purchased! This isn't funny, he's making money whilst making the paying public look like fools! Would you prefer Nadal or Djoker giving up in the final set when they've played for 5 or 6 straight hours?
Ah I see, you're angry

Far be it from me to tell you how to express your anger. Here I was thinking you were taking actual joy out of watching MSD fail

Mr Miyagi

Banned
It's delusional to think current Dhoni is a good player. It's even more delusional to think he was never good.
Well tbf you're non-delusion-ally begging the questions, where is the line and when did he cross it?

Because, as far as I can tell from to Australian cricket fans on Australian media - he has long, and I do mean long, been a meme. They used to call him "Captain Courageous" (not as a compliment, sarcasm at its highest!). His go slow average padding innings are not novel. So when did it start exactly?

The meme of Dhoni, whether fans of his like or not, was long established years ago. It isn't just already a thing, it has long been a thing. Personally I have thought he was overated for years. Several years if not many.

I myself, personally that is, don't buy into into the 2011 WC final where Gambhir really broke the back of the chase.

So what is the legend of Dhoni, and when has the meme, if it has as you say, trumped it?

Last edited:

slippy888

International Captain
Dhoni scored 10000 one day international which makes him in the top 10 of all time in terms of run scoring, he is a legend up there with WG

Burner

International Regular
That has to be the biggest head scratching innings in recent times. Very odd. I am not going to write him off though. I'd written him off but his recent hitting in IPL has me in doubt. I don't think Dhoni's going to cost India if they do play him at the WC.

Burner

International Regular
Well tbf you're non-delusion-ally begging the questions, where is the line and when did he cross it?

Because, as far as I can tell from to Australian cricket fans on Australian media - he has long, and I do mean long, been a meme. They used to call him "Captain Courageous" (not as a compliment, sarcasm at its highest!). His go slow average padding innings are not novel. So when did it start exactly?

The meme of Dhoni, whether fans of his like or not, was long established years ago. It isn't just already a thing, it has long been a thing. Personally I have thought he was overated for years. Several years if not many.

I myself, personally that is, don't buy into into the 2011 WC final where Gambhir really broke the back of the chase.

So what is the legend of Dhoni, and when has the meme, if it has as you say, trumped it?
Well if Australian cricket fans say so it must be true. Jeez take a break bud.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ben Stokes's innings in the last game was much worse than Dhoni's today, on a flatter pitch.

Jack1

International Debutant
That’s got to be the worst ever ODI chase. Classic MS Dhoni chasing innings too.

England have stifled India to the extreme I am surprised. There’s no excuse for a top team to bat the others and lose by that many. That’s an absolute joke from India.

Better to crumble to all out in 35 overs and at least have a go at the total. No excuses for India, that’s an embarrassing way to lose

I don’t troll and I’m not here. That is a horrible horrible chase and India should be investigated for spot fixing it’s that horrible

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Ben Stokes's innings in the last game was much worse than Dhoni's today, on a flatter pitch.
Difference is England were setting and India ended up with less. Stokes was in earlier too after four quick wickets. You can clutch at straws though if you want! Dhoni is such a bad finisher lol