• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Also don't get why people talk about #BatDeep as if it's some sort of team-defining tactic. We just don't have many good bowlers available and our best ones happen to be able to bat. At full strength we have the same 6 bowler set up as just about everyone else.
Yeah, India has Raina as a 6th and Aus had uhmm Head.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's not quite how batdeep's advantage works.

But is Willey at 8 that deep?
It's more that Plunkett at 10 is deep, really. It's not like when Woakes was at 8 when they could be six down at the halfway mark and still have a fair chance of the innings being rescued, but they know if it's down to the tail in right at the slog, they can still hit pretty competently. It still gives a bit of a different dynamic to the way the top order pace their innings than if #8-11 was something like Broad-Wood-Ball-Crane instead.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
It's more that Plunkett at 10 is deep, really. It's not like when Woakes was at 8 when they could be six down at the halfway mark and still have a fair chance of the innings being rescued, but they know if it's down to the tail in right at the slog, they can still hit pretty competently. It still gives a bit of a different dynamic to the way the top order pace their innings than if #8-11 was something like Broad-Wood-Ball-Crane instead.
At 10 in odi, its a bit of a clutch at straws than clutch like Jordan, though. And I love Bat Deep. Tests would be more interesting than odi imo.

#8 is huge for me, 10 much less so.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also don't get why people talk about #BatDeep as if it's some sort of team-defining tactic. We just don't have many good bowlers available and our best ones happen to be able to bat. At full strength we have the same 6 bowler set up as just about everyone else.
Oh yeah I don't think England have deliberately sought it out at all. I do think they've tried to sort of take advantage of the accident of it all by giving the top order a bit more of a license at times (even after early wickets) as a result though.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Oh yeah I don't think England have deliberately sought it out at all. I do think they've tried to sort of take advantage of the accident of it all by giving the top order a bit more of a license at times (even after early wickets) as a result though.
It wasn't an accident imo. It was very deliberate and Anderson and even then Broad suffered dropping.

Willey had no claims to selection without domestic batting at all.

But I still place more weight on the 8 than the tail.

Last edited: