• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

cnerd123

likes this
Kuldeep's only hard-to-pick ball is his googly. He disguises it very well. Once batsmen read it, he'll lose a tough of effectiveness. Shri had a point.

I think the bigger challenges than that for Kuldeep will be bowling long spells and recovering from a dip in form (ie, how does he bowl on a bad day).

There is also the issue of if he knows how to set a trap to a top batsman in multi-day cricket - it's quite different when you're able to build pressure simply by bowling dots, and when the batsmen is require to go after you. Can he take wickets if batsmen are content at seeing him off at 1-2 RPO? He's got a very short FC career (24 games) and his numbers aren't amazing (90 wickets @ 31.87, Econ 3.73).

rparikh14

School Boy/Girl Captain
Very surprising to see Kuldeep's FC stats, would have expected them to be mid 20s. Probably got better as he went on tho, probably has much better stats in recent FC games (remember him taking heaps of wickets in Duleep trophy).

Shri

Mr. Glass
Two slightly different cases. Rashid just lacked FC experience and overs under his belt and just bowled inconsistently as a result rather than India 'figuring' him out.
Fact is, he isnt a threatening bowler if you are not in a hurry to score runs quickly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The difference between him and other leggies is his control more than anything I think. Bowls loose balls less frequently than other leggies for now. Things might change if he faces a dip in form though.
Could become ineffective quickly if batsmen begin reading him correctly and decide to play him out without risk. Like India did to Rashid Khan in the test match.
Because of the amount of revs, he gets the ball to turn and rip a fair bit, so he is always going to be difficult even after people pick what he is bowling, like Warne.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Very surprising to see Kuldeep's FC stats, would have expected them to be mid 20s. Probably got better as he went on tho, probably has much better stats in recent FC games (remember him taking heaps of wickets in Duleep trophy).
Mostly has played as a kid on flat surfaces v players who can play spin a bit.

rparikh14

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kohli said he may pick Chahal in tests - not a fan of the idea at all - hasn’t even had any outstanding performances this series so far.

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kohli said he may pick Chahal in tests - not a fan of the idea at all - hasn’t even had any outstanding performances this series so far.
Yes. Chahal has himself admitted to in the past that his style of bowling is more or less opposite to what takes wickets in tests. He is a quintessential T20 spinner - gets a lot of wickets from wide ones, pace variations or simply tossing up when the batsman is under pressure to hit big. Bowling wide ones when you're going for runs doesn't work in tests. It'll be beyond stupid to have him play a test match, but then I don't expect anything better from Kohli. As far as LO is concerned, Chahal is a total gun though. Had a decent IPL but hasn't been in best form this tour because to me he seems a bit low on confidence atm.

cnerd123

likes this
I think Virat wants the English batsmen wasting time in the nets with Merlin preparing for Kuldeep and Chahal while planning to play Ashwin all along.

sunilz

International Regular
With SA losing their first test, India would be ranked no.1 even if they lose 5-0 to ENG.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
England tend not to overreact to a defeat so they could easily go with the same XI. Dawid Malan is now a permanent member of the squad after Alex Hales' injury while Sam Curran and Jake Ball are there if they want to freshen up the pace attack.

England (probable) 1 Jason Roy, 2 Jonny Bairstow, 3 Joe Root, 4 Eoin Morgan (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jos Buttler (wk), 7 Moeen Ali, 8 David Willey, 9 Adil Rashid, 10 Liam Plunkett, 11 Mark Wood
Don't really think its a case of "not over reacting" when the options are Sam Curran and Jake Ball. Sam Curran was tonked around by NZ FC batsmen this winter - who let's face it, are a step below Indian internationals and then some (useful bat Sam, though). Malan was tremendous in the t20i over winter for England and deserves to be in the squad even with young tyro Hain on more than a few people's radars. But the bowling depth is demonstrably weak at this stage of their careers, it doesn't matter if its Wood, Ball or S Curran. England miss Woakes and I suspect this may be a wake up call to bring in Archa for the World Cup.

2nd ODI, India tour of Ireland and England at London, Jul 14 2018 | Match Preview | ESPNCricinfo

The only change India are likely to consider is bringing back Bhuvneshwar Kumar if he has recovered from his back niggle. He would replace Siddarth Kaul.

India (probable) 1 Rohit Sharma, 2 Shikhar Dhawan, 3 Virat Kohli (capt), 4 KL Rahul, 5 MS Dhoni (wk), 6 Suresh Raina, 7 Hardik Pandya, 8 Siddarth Kaul, 9 Kuldeep Yadav, 10 Yuzvendra Chahal, 11 Umesh Yadav

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Not his biggest fan but Broad is a fine, well spoken and candid commentator.

He may not be popular on field - but I personally like him as a commentator.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kuldeep's not bad, eh?
Way too good for England, for sure. Maybe we'll work out how to read his wrong'un before the season's out. But probably not.

EDIT
Well done mate, just pick out the bloke that's been put there for that shot.

Last edited: