• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Axar plays matches for India time and again. Krunal is a like-for-like replacement. For him to get into the team, he has to replace Axar as the reserve spinner *** lower order biffer.
I think he has Axar and Washinton beat hands down. He has Jadeja, let alone Ashwin beat with the bat biffing.

I think he should be, right now, a strong contender in the WC squad. Whether he makes the playing XI or not. He should be a contender if the WC was tomorrow.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
And I will not drop Hardik now at all. He delivers the Raina role of getting 30 off 15 decently right now with the bat. Also, one of the leading wicket-takers in the IPL indicating an improvement in bowling. Chahal and Kuldeep is an awesome combination. Not sure why Chahal's name is even coming up. Krunal can get into the squad only at the expense of Axar and no one else.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The thing with Krunal, I don't remember flashy shots, I don't remember the glorious 4's and 6's, but somehow he keeps making runs at a fast clip.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he has Axar and Washinton beat hands down. He has Jadeja, let alone Ashwin beat with the bat biffing.

I think he should be, right now, a strong contender in the WC squad. Whether he makes the playing XI or not. He should be a contender if the WC was tomorrow.
I forgot Washington. So, if there are 5 spinners up the ladder in ODIs, is the ODI career over for Ashwin and Jadeja?

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
I forgot Washington. So, if there are 5 spinners up the ladder in ODIs, is the ODI career over for Ashwin and Jadeja?
Pretty much so. And I'm really happy with that because neither of them takes wickets regularly in middle overs like Yuzi and Kuldeep nor can they score quick enough like Axar or Krunal. Ashwin especially in ODIs is always looking to save his ass by bowling quicker middle stump lines rather than choosing the aggressive option. He is much more in his own in tests and I think its okay. What I would like to see though is Kuldeep replacing Jadeja or occasionally playing as a 3rd spinner in home conditions.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
And I will not drop Hardik now at all. He delivers the Raina role of getting 30 off 15 decently right now with the bat. Also, one of the leading wicket-takers in the IPL indicating an improvement in bowling. Chahal and Kuldeep is an awesome combination. Not sure why Chahal's name is even coming up. Krunal can get into the squad only at the expense of Axar and no one else.
Which Pandya brother would you want to bat for your life for 30 off 15?

I'm sorry - Krunal is in this equation. He has shone much better in the IPL with the bat than Hardik.

If it seam friendly, go with Hardik, but if it comes down to batting, it aint Hardik.

https://www.iplt20.com/teams/mumbai-indians/squad/3183/krunal-pandya

https://www.iplt20.com/teams/mumbai-indians/squad/2740/hardik-pandya

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Which Pandya brother would you want to bat for your life for 30 off 15?

I'm sorry - Krunal is in this equation. He has shone much better in the IPL with the bat than Hardik.

If it seam friendly, go with Hardik, but if it comes down to batting, it aint Hardik.

https://www.iplt20.com/teams/mumbai-indians/squad/3183/krunal-pandya

https://www.iplt20.com/teams/mumbai-indians/squad/2740/hardik-pandya
Need to look at team composition and current form. The World cup is in England and we have 2 good spinners already. 3 will be an overkill. If it is very much a spin friendly pitch, yes, he can replace his brother. Otherwise, not.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Need to look at team composition and current form. The World cup is in England and we have 2 good spinners already. 3 will be an overkill. If it is very much a spin friendly pitch, yes, he can replace his brother. Otherwise, not.
This begs the question...

Why not Krunal and either Chahal or Jadhav, and 3 seamers better than Hardik? Like Yadav, BK and Bumrah.

You're not bext XI selecting by limiting the players to roles, you're role selecting which overlooks the best possible XI imo.

1Yadav
2 BK
3 Bumrah
4 Krunal
5 Chahal/Jadhav-
6 Raina (or someone else)

that is a quality attack - and it has Krunal's batting too.

It gives you BK amd Bumrah for the death. Plenty of spin options and - Yadav's aggressiveness. I'm sorry but 'seeing' Hardik as the 'only' option as 3rd seamer with 2 spinners will weaken India in England in 2019. I mean this.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What's the point of having a bowler who knows you only trust him to perform as long as he's a surprise and a mystery? Decent way to destroy his confidence.

The best long term plan is to allow him to try and be good even if the opposition has "worked him out".
That's a fair point but there is a temptation to "hide" him. Until the world cup even :D

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
This begs the question...

Why not Krunal and either Chahal or Jadhav, and 3 seamers better than Hardik? Like Yadav, BK and Bumrah.

You're not bext XI selecting by limiting the players to roles, you're role selecting which overlooks the best possible XI imo.

1Yadav
2 BK
3 Bumrah
4 Krunal
5 Chahal/Jadhav-
6 Raina (or someone else)

that is a quality attack - and it has Krunal's batting too.

It gives you BK amd Bumrah for the death. Plenty of spin options and - Yadav's aggressiveness. I'm sorry but 'seeing' Hardik as the 'only' option as 3rd seamer with 2 spinners will weaken India in England in 2019. I mean this.
Yuzi or Kuldeep have done enough for last year or so to not lose their place to anyone. So have Bhuvi and Bumrah I guess. They have to be the core of any Indian LO attack with Bhuvi-Bumrah bowling the first ten overs and death while the middle overs being bowled around Yuzi-Kuldeep. I don't think either Axar or Krunal can maintain pressure as well as take regular wickets in middle overs in the manner that Chahal does. This will simply release pressure from the other end when Kuldeep is bowling his tight wicket-taking spells and counteract the basic gameplan India has followed in LO for a while. They don't desperately need another big hitter at 6. Hardik and Dhoni are sort of doing the job. Even if they did, all the four frontline bowlers are indispensable.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yuzi or Kuldeep have done enough for last year or so to not lose their place to anyone. So have Bhuvi and Bumrah I guess. They have to be the core of any Indian LO attack with Bhuvi-Bumrah bowling the first ten overs and death while the middle overs being bowled around Yuzi-Kuldeep. I don't think either Axar or Krunal can maintain pressure as well as take regular wickets in middle overs in the manner that Chahal does. This will simply release pressure from the other end when Kuldeep is bowling his tight wicket-taking spells and counteract the basic gameplan India has followed in LO for a while. They don't desperately need another big hitter at 6. Hardik and Dhoni are sort of doing the job. Even if they did, all the four frontline bowlers are indispensable.
Begs the question, again.

Champs trophy 2017 - India go in with 2 frontline spinners, 2 frontline quicks and Pandya - Pakistan make over 330! Pakistan of all teams!

Now you say that two frontline spinners, neither of whom bat as well Krunal are indespensable. And you still want Hardik - even though he is a weak bowler and doesn't bat as well as his brother.

Are you role selecting or XI selecting?

I don't think any of Hardik, Chahal or Jadhav have booted Krunal out of the best XI yet - even if they're better role players. It is about XI people, not XI roles. Ask yourself this, could Yadav, with the ball have turned things around more than Pandya? Could Krunal have made runs chasing?

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Champs trophy 2017 - India go in with 2 frontline spinners, 2 frontline quicks and Pandya - Pakistan make over 330! Pakistan of all teams!

Now you say that two frontline spinners, neither of whom bat as well Krunal are indespensable. And you still want Hardik - even though he is a weak bowler and doesn't bat as well as his brother.

I don't think any of Hardik, Chahal or Jadhav have booted Krunal out of the best XI yet - even if they're better role players. It is about XI people, not XI roles.
The example you gave had Jadeja who is of similar ilk to Krunal and Axar. Kuldeep and Chahal's superior bowling scores over the few points that Krunal's batting does. And I do rate Krunal's batting. As Lyon said, the top 4 bowlers are indispensable.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The example you gave had Jadeja who is of similar ilk to Krunal and Axar. Kuldeep and Chahal's superior bowling scores over the few points that Krunal's batting does. And I do rate Krunal's batting. As Lyon said, the top 4 bowlers are indispensable.
Someone has to bat 8, even if you believe the above.

Personally, I prefer Krunal, Bumrah, BK and Yadav with the best 5th bowling option - be it Jadhav, Chahal or a 4th seamer not excluding H Pandya with his batting. But that's just me.

Playing 4 bowlers, of which 2 are front line non-batting spinners, will cost India the World Cup. Quote me in 12 months.

Last edited:

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain

Except those two spinners weren't Yuzi and Kuldeep which makes your argument irrelevant. Ashwin and Jaddu never had that kind of impact in LO cricket. Plenty of spinners like Mishra, Axar, etc were being experimented with because those two were clearly ineffective in terms of keeping things tight and picking up regular wickets before death and regularly had India concede >300 (Ashwin and Jaddu average 33 and 36 respectively compared to Yuzi and Kuldeep's 22 and 20). I don't remember India dominating a whole series against a major ODI nation away from home like they did in SA when they had Ashwin and Jadeja. It was made possibly solely by the Yuzi Kuldeep combo and they continue to do so everywhere they go. I'm not actually picking for roles but for performances both of the players and the XI. Drop Yuzi and Kuldeep for Krunal and Umesh and you'll end up constantly chasing over 320 and they don't always go so well even if you got Kohli in your lineup. Jadhav however I think is quite useful as a 6th bowler and no.6 bat and I'd much rather have him play than Raina (someone who hasn't bowled for ages for all I know).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Replacing Kuldeep with Krunal is just one of your #batdeep theories again isn't it

Bringing up the CT final is so weird from you.
- BK and Hardik were the only good bowlers that day
- We had two lame containing spinners who were spanked. So you want to solve this by bringing in another meh containing spinner in Krunal? This the complete opposite of the successful Yuz/Kuldeep aggressive partnership
- Hardik batted like a king that day

I mean I understand that #batdeep has merits and all but I find it strange you'd bring up the CT Final when it just flies in the face of all your arguments lol.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Except those two spinners weren't Yuzi and Kuldeep which makes your argument irrelevant.
No. It means my comparison is apples and oranges to the particular players at best. Not Irrelevant.

Ashwin and Jaddu never had that kind of impact in LO cricket. Plenty of spinners like Mishra, Axar, etc were being experimented with because those two were clearly ineffective in terms of keeping things tight and picking up regular wickets before death and regularly had India concede >300 (Ashwin and Jaddu average 33 and 36 respectively compared to Yuzi and Kuldeep's 22 and 20). I don't remember India dominating a whole series against a major ODI nation away from home like they did in SA when they had Ashwin and Jadeja. It was made possibly solely by the Yuzi Kuldeep combo and they continue to do so everywhere they go. I'm not actually picking for roles but for performances both of the players and the XI. Drop Yuzi and Kuldeep for Krunal and Umesh and you'll end up constantly chasing over 320 and they don't always go so well even if you got Kohli in your lineup. Jadhav however I think is quite useful as a 6th bowler and no.6 bat and I'd much rather have him play than Raina (someone who hasn't bowled for ages for all I know).
Well if your mind is already made up 12 months out, I hope you're right for your sake. Seems silly to me, but that's just my own opinion.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Replacing Kuldeep with Krunal is just one of your #batdeep theories again isn't it
No cos I would take BK, Yadav and Bumrah and not bat deep on the players I know of. But you know BCCI players better than me I bet.
Bringing up the CT final is so weird from you.
- BK and Hardik were the only good bowlers that day
- We had two lame containing spinners who were spanked. So you want to solve this by bringing in another meh containing spinner in Krunal? This the complete opposite of the successful Yuz/Kuldeep aggressive partnership
- Hardik batted like a king that day

I mean I understand that #batdeep has merits and all but I find it strange you'd bring up the CT Final when it just flies in the face of all your arguments lol.
Hardik had a good game that day, no doubt. But India lost. He took one wicket and did nothing to stop the flow of runs. Which begs the question, would Yadav have stopped it? Or Would Krunal have made runs also?

And it isn't weird, its is just - why did the XI so fail spectacularly and could it have been different with different players? Pakistan went seam heavy all tournament and won. So unless India has a Shadhab Khan lying around...

I'm not here to criticise India, I'm just a cricket fan who has happened to follow the IPL recently. I don't even follow the BBL these days...

Last edited:

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Indian lineup with Rahul moving in at 3 now presumably is as good as its going to get however there's still the no.6 issue assuming Dhoni is promoted to 5. I prefer Raina or Jadhav over Rayudu or Pandey since the latter two can't bowl.

Nohit
Dhawan
Rahul
Kohli*
Dhoni+
Jadhav/Raina
Hardik (don't mind Krunal if going with 3 spinners)

The frontline bowling attack however is settled and doesn't need meddling with at all imo.

Bhuvi
Kuldeep
Chahal
Bumrah

Don't see the point of bringing in Umesh who has a career economy of 6 and is generally expensive or replacing any of these bowlers with all-rounders like Krunal or Axar to deepen the batting.