• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

srbhkshk

International Captain
Heh, I rate his brother higher to be honest. Not that India needs another finger spinner. But Krunal just keeps on delivering.
Krunal is 100% a better batsman than Hardik, if Chahal can't deliver on flat pitches it might not be that bad an idea to bring him in the team. Not much impact on bowling while improving the Batting , fielding and average height of the team considerably. I don't think India want to play him in the top order in place of a batsman, but if they do I don't mind that either.

Burner

International Regular
The timing sucks. THe whole batting order will need to be reorganized one year before the WC. If he was set on doing it, it should have happened after the 2019 WC.
Kohli moving to 4 in ODIs is a really stupid move imo. Could very well end up like SA pushing AB down the order. You have a potential goat owning the spot as well as it could be own and you move him down to accomodate lesser players. Kohli will win you a lot more matches at 3.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
He might be, but he has done more than enough to stay on. In any case getting Dhoni to bowl 10 overs, even 5-6 every match is not gonna happen.
Dhoni bowling part was a joke. Hence the whole post was actually a joke face.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not a fan of Kohli moving down to 4. Let Rahul bat at 4. You didn't see Ponting move down the order to accomodate a player in the XI in his peak.
Kohli moving to 4 in ODIs is a really stupid move imo. Could very well end up like SA pushing AB down the order. You have a potential goat owning the spot as well as it could be own and you move him down to accomodate lesser players. Kohli will win you a lot more matches at 3.
Agreed.

Shri

Mr. Glass
MSD was a beast as a middle order bat, averaging 65 in ODI cricket while batting at 3 and 4.

All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

He dropped down to 5 and averaged 53 before committing to the lower order for a bit:

To accommodate others, he started playing at 6 and 7 and ended up averaging 47 for most of his career.

cnerd123

likes this
Obviously he'll average less the lower down he bats

I don't care so much for a player's individual career record. This is a team sport. If Kohli stepping down to 4 makes the team as a whole function better, then I'm all for it even if it tanks his career average down to 35.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But the ODI game has changed. The power plays being given to power hitters who are less important than the premier batsman is a good strategy. People like Root and Kohli coming in later means they can guide the middle overs, ensuring there is no slack (where many games are lost) and finish strong if need be (or make way for stronger hitters in Root's case)

cnerd123

likes this
Yea and Kohli is the best finisher in the world right now, why are we riskig losing him early to the new ball in the first 15 overs when we have perfectly capable top order batsmen who can see that phase off and score heavily.

I've been advocating for Kohli at 4 for a long time. I think it would work well.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree.

I'm ok with either tbh because Rahul should do well at 4 as well. But when you consider that Kohli is a genius in the middle overs and Rahul is likely to be better up the order, it's difficult to look past it.

Don't fix what isn't broken is a losing mentality in the ever changing LO game imo.

R!TTER

State Regular
Except Kohli has done well at 4 - when SRT, Sehwag & Gambhir were ahead of him in the batting order. The Hobart chase was set up by these 3, yet he gets most of the praise.
Yea and Kohli is the best finisher in the world right now,
why are we riskig losing him early to the new ball in the first 15 overs when we have perfectly capable top order batsmen who can see that phase off and score heavily.

I've been advocating for Kohli at 4 for a long time. I think it would work well.
Yup always this, when Dhoni & Raina were still dependable we could afford losing Kohli early at 3 but not anymore!

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Krunal is 100% a better batsman than Hardik, if Chahal can't deliver on flat pitches it might not be that bad an idea to bring him in the team. Not much impact on bowling while improving the Batting , fielding and average height of the team considerably. I don't think India want to play him in the top order in place of a batsman, but if they do I don't mind that either.
There's too much available batting talent to go down this path, but Chahal and Krunal's brother are potential people to drop to bring KP in for.

Krunal is a very fine cricketing talent who is long overdue a shot at internationals.

Last edited:

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
There's too much available batting talent to go down this path, but Chahal and Krunal's brother are potential people to drop to bring KP in for.

Krunal is a very fine cricketing talent who is long overdue a shot at internationals.
Chahal is simply indispensable in the LO team and so much better LO bowler than Krunal. He has 43 wkts from 23 games at Ave 22 and economy of 4.7. It doesn't really get any better if you aren't Rashid Khan. I don't think he's going to be drop anytime soon for anyone. Besides India also have quite a bit of batting depth with Bhuvi scoring runs, and with a strong top order it rarely ever comes to the tail, so the only way Krunal is going to make the team is replace his brother or when one of the incumbent bowlers are rested.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Chahal is simply indispensable in the LO team and so much better LO bowler than Krunal. He has 43 wkts from 23 games at Ave 22 and economy of 4.7. It doesn't really get any better if you aren't Rashid Khan. I don't think he's going to be drop anytime soon for anyone. Besides India also have quite a bit of batting depth with Bhuvi scoring runs, and with a strong top order it rarely ever comes to the tail, so the only way Krunal is going to make the team is replace his brother or when one of the incumbent bowlers are rested.
Time will tell.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How will England's machine handle Kuldeep in the second encounter?

I reckon he takes 3 wickets this time for 30+ runs

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would just not play Kuldeep till the tests to keep some mystery intact.
What's the point of having a bowler who knows you only trust him to perform as long as he's a surprise and a mystery? Decent way to destroy his confidence.

The best long term plan is to allow him to try and be good even if the opposition has "worked him out".

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's not that there is no trust in Kuldeep, it's that he would be a bigger threat with novelty involved.

Shri

Mr. Glass
What's the point of having a bowler who knows you only trust him to perform as long as he's a surprise and a mystery? Decent way to destroy his confidence.

The best long term plan is to allow him to try and be good even if the opposition has "worked him out".
Obviously, but it is tempting to get a 1-0 lead an then let him do his thing without worrying about being worked out.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Axar plays matches for India time and again. Krunal is a like-for-like replacement. For him to get into the team, he has to replace Axar as the reserve spinner *** lower order biffer.