• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan tour of Ireland, England and Scotland 2018

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah agree on all that, its not nepotism whatsoever, that would be the lad who is opening with Azhar.:laugh:

There was an other blatant example last year with some horrid opener whose father was a very important person in Pakistan whose name escapes me.
Is this the guy

Shan Masood | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo

Not from last year though. I clearly remember Rameez Raza saying about his connections to ministry level

Firebreaker

Banned
yeah I was thinking about his pair, is it enough to drop him when they aren't playing another test for another year? how do you even pick a side when they only get to play one off tests annually
His average in FC was in late 10s but he got it to respectable 30 by milking on the Associate bowling attacks

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Imam was the third highest scorer in the domestic season of 2016/17 and he couldn't play the most recent season because he was involved with Pakistan ODI team and got injured after that between NZ series. So he's not a nepotistic selection. He was even called nepotistic when he was selected for ODI series against Sri Lanka but he proved himself by scoring a hundred on his debut.
Lets face the reality here. Imam clearly was selected because of Inzamam. Now if he can convert this golden opportunity and become a substantial player then good for him and Pakistan. Otherwise he's always going to be labelled like that. Tamim Iqbal comes to my mind. Tamim was fast tracked because Akram Khan, his uncle, was at the selection panel that time.

Firebreaker

Banned
Lets face the reality here. Imam clearly was selected because of Inzamam. Now if he can convert this golden opportunity and become a substantial player then good for him and Pakistan. Otherwise he's always going to be labelled like that. Tamim Iqbal comes to my mind. Tamim was fast tracked because Akram Khan, his uncle, was at the selection panel that time.
As I have mentioned even Imran Khan was a nepotic selection and went on to become greatest player of Pakistan

Mr Miyagi

Banned
As I have mentioned even Imran Khan was a nepotic selection and went on to become greatest player of Pakistan

Well there's an exception to every rule whether something is typically a good, fair and meritocrous thing to do before even assessing if its even reasonable! Especially with these guys pursuing global riches at intl level and the selectors choosing people to represent their country via a public interest board that probably gets tax breaks as a result.

Most people don't like nepotism as a general rule - and find it rather unfair. For rep cricket - ppl want the best players picked.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
First Inzy denies Bangladesh a famous first test win, and now his nephew denies Ireland

It's a sad day when the underdog loses and nepotism wins :(

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon that lbw was out. Looked high but the ball was on the way back down when it struck him.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Its up to the individuals whether they will go on to become something or not but does not take away the fact that they were favoured in the first place

cnerd123

likes this
I like how Inzy's nephew can average 27 (career average 35) but have his selection justified because he was third leading run scorer in one competition, meanwhile Fawad Alam is now not good enough because his average has dropped from 58 to 55 - only 20 more than Imam averages.

Then again Firebreaker did confess he isn't very good at math

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I like how Inzy's nephew can average 27 (career average 35) but have his selection justified because he was third leading run scorer in one competition, meanwhile Fawad Alam is now not good enough because his average has dropped from 58 to 55 - only 20 more than Imam averages.

Then again Firebreaker did confess he isn't very good at math

I'm not disagreeing with you at all because I really don't know enough about these players, but if Imam keeps making runs on this tour, 61 Kent, 11, 59* and now this test, his selection doesn't look as bad.

Last edited: