• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan tour of Ireland, England and Scotland 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
imam averages 35 in FC cricket, only 4 tons though and definitely nepotism nonetheless
Haha I think he averaged mid 20s when he was first selected for this tour a few months back, but you're right - spreading false information is probably a bad call in response to those posts :laugh:

EDIT: Apparently it was the most recent season I was thinking of, in which he averaged literally 27.

Last edited:

Firebreaker

Banned
They have the same amount of match winning innings as any other player in Test cricket: 0. Such things are a myth. You can't win a match with an innings; you need to take wickets too, not to mention avoid finishing 3* with a collapse at the other end.

This is just a lame attempt to get other people to dig through their careers innings by innings because you can't be bothered to do so yourself, and then hold them to a standard you wouldn't hold any other player, or to a standard you've conveniently invented for this thread especially for them to fail.

How many "match winning innings" has ****ing Imam played in domestic FC cricket for his average of 27, hmm? Honestly so sick of this **** where every misinformed or biased gut-feel opinion can be defended by the same generic one-liners that force other people to do the work, only for more generic one-liners to follow in response to it.
You are telling me to go and check cricinfo why dont you check it yourself and see that Imam's FC average is 35 and not 27? How many players currently in England set up average over 35 in FC cricket? What are the averages of modern day greats like Jennings, Hameed, Stoneman etc? Even Imran Khan was a nepotistic selection when he first joined the team so you think if a player is related to a cricketer, he shouldn't be selected?

Firebreaker

Banned
35 even in domestic Pakistan cricket isn't that impressive whatsoever no matter the age.
Have you seen the pitches being used in Pak domestic? Matches were finished in 1.5 days in domestic this season. What was the average of Azhar Ali, Shafiq when they joined the Test team?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
You are telling me to go and check cricinfo why dont you check it yourself and see that Imam's FC average is 35 and not 27? How many players currently in England set up average over 35 in FC cricket? What are the averages of modern day greats like Jennings, Hameed, Stoneman etc? Even Imran Khan was a nepotistic selection when he first joined the team so you think if a player is related to a cricketer, he shouldn't be selected?

Probably not the best year to ask this question. Malan, VInce, Stokes, Stoneman will all give you nice change from 40. Yes Stokes played his last test series as a batsman. And he's beloiw 35.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
*whispers*
(Fawad Alam)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What has England got to do with this?

Firebreaker

Banned
*whispers*
(Fawad Alam)
Fawad Alam wasn't selected that he has been failing in past few seasons reason why his average has fallen to 55 from 58 in recent years and he's not cut for these conditions. He was the 20th highest scorer in league cricket in UK last year and I agree he should have been given a chance before but then the deadly duo of Waqar/Misbah were safeguarding Shafiq and Azhar in the team even though their performances were average then. Shafiq scores a solitary ton in a series in useless circumstances where the match or series is already lost just to cement his spot for the next series.

Firebreaker

Banned
Imam was the third highest scorer in the domestic season of 2016/17 and he couldn't play the most recent season because he was involved with Pakistan ODI team and got injured after that between NZ series. So he's not a nepotistic selection. He was even called nepotistic when he was selected for ODI series against Sri Lanka but he proved himself by scoring a hundred on his debut.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Imam was the third highest scorer in the domestic season of 2016/17 and he couldn't play the most recent season because he was involved with Pakistan ODI team and got injured after that between NZ series. So he's not a nepotistic selection. He was even called nepotistic when he was selected for ODI series against Sri Lanka but he proved himself by scoring a hundred on his debut.

Dude, if you had simply introduced those kinda facts in your original post, you may have saved yourself from a lot of this.

PEWS even invited you to bring in stats a few times to support your claims.

Of course the question begged is are the two highest scoring players of that season given international caps too? And if not, why not?

Last edited:

Firebreaker

Banned
Funny how English people criticize selection due to average stats whereas England themselves select players based on potential rather than performance. (Crane,Buttler)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dude, if you had simply introduced those kinda facts in your original post, you may have saved yourself from a lot of this.

PEWS even invited you to bring in stats a few times to support your claims.

Of course the question begged is are the two highest scoring players of that season given international caps too? And if not, why not?
Yeah that was totally why I quoted all those false stats I misremembered at him. :ph34r:

But seriously, you can defend Imam without going after Pakistan's best batsmen and completely misusing the word nepotism.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Funny how English people criticize selection due to average stats whereas England themselves select players based on potential rather than performance. (Crane,Buttler)
I think it is a balancing act between the two. But it typically takes some runs to catch the eye for potential and statistical performance. Whereas for some teams and players - a pie chucker at 150+ or a big spinning googly may snag a gig with stuff all wickets on "potential" alone.

Last edited:

Firebreaker

Banned
Imam Ul Haq has potential to become the captain of Pakistan in future. The two players currently at the crease are future of Pakistan

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah that was totally why I quoted all those false stats I misremembered at him. :ph34r:

But seriously, you can defend Imam without going after Pakistan's best batsmen and completely misusing the word nepotism.
:ph34r: I actually wondered if you were doing that with totally discounting chasing declaration totals or just going Lara 4th innings like on a difficult pitch. :)

I personally don't think nepotism is limited to just family relations. It includes friends as well.

I'm not saying whether his argument was any good or not. I don't know the facts well enough and don't care enough to assess their stats even.

He has chosen a very tough sell with Azhar , whoever else, and Sarfaraz vs Imam nephew Haq. But like you say, and I agree, if someone is going to make a claim like that and persuade people, it really should be supported with some stats or facts.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
finally found a working stream of this in the final part of the game

it's so surreal seeing Ireland playing a test match

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Balbrinie has been atrocious in this match. Lost the match for Ireland

yeah I was thinking about his pair, is it enough to drop him when they aren't playing another test for another year? how do you even pick a side when they only get to play one off tests annually