• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan tour of Ireland, England and Scotland 2018

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This has been mentioned numerous times (including by myself), but to play devil's advocate I can imagine some reasons touring teams might disagree.

Sometimes teams lose or do very poorly in "the ****** three-day warm-ups they do when they tour England"... and while losing a tour game doesn't really matter, losing a Test (and by extension an entire "Test series") is a big deal, especially rankings-wise. Secondly I think they'd feel compelled to pick their best eleven, rather than whatever eleven they wanted to give experience to over two short games or whatever they were intending, and I think they'd probably dislike this too.

These aren't compelling reasons not to do this IMO, but they're not things I've really seen others bring up online, and I'm sure they're brought up in cricket board meetings of other teams.
Yeah, I'd be quite surprised if these arguments carried the day though. Any sports team I've been a part of would relentlessly abuse anyone who made this kind of a case. It's basically "we won't play you because we're scared to lose".

SillyCowCorner1

Imam is not a nepotistic selection. The real nepotistic selections are Azhar and Shafiq who have now become 'senior' players and take their place in the team for granted. Same could be said about Sarfraz
It's official, you know nothing about cricket.

Stop embarrassing yourself dude.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'd be quite surprised if these arguments carried the day though. Any sports team I've been a part of would relentlessly abuse anyone who made this kind of a case. It's basically "we won't play you because we're scared to lose".
Yeah but they wouldn't be the official reasons. They'd be the internal reasons and then they'd make up bull**** excuses. This would be far from new to cricket.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nepotism in the sense because Sarfraz says that Azhar and Asad are like his 'brothers' and he would play them and himself no matter how terribly they perform
Everyone in the Indian team called Ganguly as 'dada' (means 'big brother' in Bengali). He must be everyone's brother then.

Niall

International Coach
It's official, you know nothing about cricket.

Stop embarrassing yourself dude.
Shafiq is essentially a discount Ian Bell. I don't blame Pakistanis for getting annoyed with him for his lack of consistency but ultimately for now there are no other alternatives. Azhar has been there most conistent batsman for the last few years and you will struggle to find a Pakistan successful test series where he did not contribute, but he is out of nick atm. I would not bin him as he has more than enough credit in the bank, but its annoying for Pakistanis that this slump coincides with such a big series with England.

Uppercut

Yeah but they wouldn't be the official reasons. They'd be the internal reasons and then they'd make up bull**** excuses. This would be far from new to cricket.
We'd be the southpaw brawlers of test cricket, can't get anyone to fight us because a loss is plausible and would look bad on their records.

I'm obviously totally biased, but it's not a choice I could understand. Bumming around Somerset when you could visit a beautiful capital city in a new country, play a real game and get your match fee. Maybe that's just me though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We'd be the southpaw brawlers of test cricket, can't get anyone to fight us because a loss is plausible and would look bad on their records.

I'm obviously totally biased, but it's not a choice I could understand. Bumming around Somerset when you could visit a beautiful capital city in a new country, play a real game and get your match fee. Maybe that's just me though.
Of all the counties you could have picked.....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Shafiq is essentially a discount Ian Bell. I don't blame Pakistanis for getting annoyed with him for his lack of consistency but ultimately for now there are no other alternatives. Azhar has been there most conistent batsman for the last few years and you will struggle to find a Pakistan successful test series where he did not contribute, but he is out of nick atm. I would not bin him as he has more than enough credit in the bank, but its annoying for Pakistanis that this slump coincides with such a big series with England.
Azhar is quite arguably the best opener in the world, but it's apparently 'nepotism' that he's selected. Even ignoring the fact that he totally butchered the actual definition of the word nepotism, that's a disgraceful post.

But even ignoring that, responding a post bitching about the fact that a **** with a FC average of 27 is making his debut with a whinge post about Shafiq is also ****ing dire. Shafiq has his problems but a give me a discount Ian Bell over a discount discount discount Umar Akmal any day.

Last edited:

Daemon

Probably Murtagh's last over here. Feel like the game will start to slip away once he's done

oh wait it's lunch, awesome timing

Firebreaker

Banned
See the recent record of Azhar, Asad and Sarfraz before talking about my knowledge of cricket and how many of those innings were match winning

Uppercut

Probably Murtagh's last over here. Feel like the game will start to slip away once he's done

oh wait it's lunch, awesome timing
At least we've slowed them down quite well, might turn out to be crucial if it rains this afternoon.

Niall

International Coach
Azhar is quite arguably the best opener in the world, but it's apparently 'nepotism' that he's selected. Even ignoring the fact that he totally butchered the actual definition of the word nepotism, that's a disgraceful post.

But even ignoring that, responding a post bitching about the fact that a **** with a FC average of 27 is making his debut with a whinge post about Shafiq is also ****ing dire. Shafiq has his problems but a give me a discount Ian Bell over a discount discount discount Umar Akmal any day.
Oh yeah agree on all that, its not nepotism whatsoever, that would be the lad who is opening with Azhar.:laugh:

There was an other blatant example last year with some horrid opener whose father was a very important person in Pakistan whose name escapes me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
See the recent record of Azhar, Asad and Sarfraz before talking about my knowledge of cricket and how many of those innings were match winning
They have the same amount of match winning innings as any other player in Test cricket: 0. Such things are a myth. You can't win a match with an innings; you need to take wickets too, not to mention avoid finishing 3* with a collapse at the other end.

This is just a lame attempt to get other people to dig through their careers innings by innings because you can't be bothered to do so yourself, and then hold them to a standard you wouldn't hold any other player, or to a standard you've conveniently invented for this thread especially for them to fail.

How many "match winning innings" has ****ing Imam played in domestic FC cricket for his average well short of Asad and Shafiq's Test stats, hmm? Honestly so sick of this **** where every misinformed or biased gut-feel opinion can be defended by the same generic one-liners that force other people to do the work, only for more generic one-liners to follow in response to it.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

There's a big difference between 'nepotism' and 'cronyism'

Your post was such an embarrassment.

A big embarrassment

ajdude

International Coach
They have the same amount of match winning innings as any other player in Test cricket: 0. Such things are a myth. You can't win a match with an innings; you need to take wickets too, not to mention avoid finishing 3* with a collapse at the other end.

This is just a lame attempt to get other people to dig through their careers innings by innings because you can't be bothered to do so yourself, and then hold them to a standard you wouldn't hold any other player, or to a standard you've conveniently invented for this thread especially for them to fail.

How many "match winning innings" has ****ing Imam played in domestic FC cricket for his average of 27, hmm? Honestly so sick of this **** where every misinformed or biased gut-feel opinion can be defended by the same generic one-liners that force other people to do the work, only for more generic one-liners to follow in response to it.
imam averages 35 in FC cricket, only 4 tons though and definitely nepotism nonetheless