• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan tour of Ireland, England and Scotland 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Happy to see Thompson made some runs -- looked decent too. I bagged him earlier as a bowling allrounder but I like him batting six or seven as the fifth bowler once one of the established batting lineup (Joyce probably? Maybe KOB too?) bow out of Tests,

Athlai

Not Terrible
Things the Irish can already be proud of

Game is in the 4th day of play
Didn't lose their first Test by an innings
Maiden hundred for one of their players
Bowled Pakistan out (more or less Pakistan declared not because they thought they had an untenable lead but because why bother with the tenth wicket when it's a rain affected game, Pakistan weren't able to rack up 400/3 which is good)

If you had asked me as a neutral if I thought Ireland would achieve most of that, I probably would have thought it was very unlikely. I think they're a solid team but Zimbabwe/Bangers/West Indies don't even reliably achieve those things.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great effort by Ireland. Pakistan should chase this 2 or 3 down though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Things the Irish can already be proud of

Game is in the 4th day of play
Didn't lose their first Test by an innings
Maiden hundred for one of their players
Bowled Pakistan out (more or less Pakistan declared not because they thought they had an untenable lead but because why bother with the tenth wicket when it's a rain affected game, Pakistan weren't able to rack up 400/3 which is good)

If you had asked me as a neutral if I thought Ireland would achieve most of that, I probably would have thought it was very unlikely. I think they're a solid team but Zimbabwe/Bangers/West Indies don't even reliably achieve those things.
I thought they'd bowl Pakistan out and not lose by an innings, but I always suspected they'd be rolled twice reasonably quickly and not make it to the fourth day. I guess the first day washout gives me some leeway with that, but they've done better than I expected, especially since they've had a few opportunities sail by throughout the match (ie. they've not always just been 20% behind as you see sometimes with an inferior team).

Athlai

Not Terrible
I thought they'd bowl Pakistan out and not lose by an innings, but I always suspected they'd be rolled twice reasonably quickly and not make it to the fourth day. I guess the first day washout gives me some leeway with that, but they've done better than I expected, especially since they've had a few opportunities sail by throughout the match (ie. they've not always just been 20% behind as you see sometimes with an inferior team).
I thought they’d probably get early wickets but I wasn’t sure they’d get consistent wickets through the innings.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought they’d probably get early wickets but I wasn’t sure they’d get consistent wickets through the innings.
Yeah, same pretty much. When Pak were six down it gave me hope, but god damn dropping Farheem twice before 50 hurt. At this sort of level I always viewed Shadab as more or less a batsman, but Farheem's innings was brutal.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They needed the rub of the green to get that second innings total, although with a bit more luck they could've bowled Pakistan out for less. Clearly bowling is going to be our strength, especially at home against teams from the subcontinent.

I'm really happy with this performance whatever happens today. It's great to be a part of test cricket- means a bit more to me in practice than I expected it to.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They needed the rub of the green to get that second innings total, although with a bit more luck they could've bowled Pakistan out for less. Clearly bowling is going to be our strength, especially at home against teams from the subcontinent.

I'm really happy with this performance whatever happens today. It's great to be a part of test cricket- means a bit more to me in practice than I expected it to.
I know you've pretty much given on other threads, but please post more in Ireland threads going forward. It seems you even watched the game and still didn't post :O :(

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I have a lot of respect for the current Pakistan team, I think they’re genuinely probably above average as a Test XI if I compare it to Test teams I’ve watched in the last dozen years or so. But man, if anyone can bottle this sort of thing, it’s Pakistan.

C’arn Ireland

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I have a lot of respect for the current Pakistan team, I think they’re genuinely probably above average as a Test XI if I compare it to Test teams I’ve watched in the last dozen years or so. But man, if anyone can bottle this sort of thing, it’s Pakistan.

C’arn Ireland
With the departure of Misbah and Younis, current line up is shaky