• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wastemen etc

Who the better batsman

• Ajay Jadeja

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mahmudullah

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I think the main difference is that we're talking about Shakib as a guy who is unlucky not to play more Tests, then he went ahead and skipped a major Test your for (seemingly) not great reasoning.

In this context comparing it to Chappell is not really relevant, even if you think they are equally "guilty" of being lazy/skipping tours. Chappell played as many Tests as anyone and no one's really complaining about him having a lack of opportunity.

I think Mr Miyagi is concerned that people are writing of Shakib as a player in general, and questioning his place among the greats, just because he skipped a tour. Which is unfair, but I also don't think anyone is really doing that.
I appreciate your warm and polite tone. Thanks Jedi :)

I've been consistent from the get-go. So please assume that my concern is consistent with the topic. The topic is all-rounders who are good but not given a fair-go at international level. My first post position has not waivered.

Shakib Al Hasan in tests.

Despite a 11 year career now where he is still going strong, he has been denied the opportunity to ever chase down the records of Botham, Sobers, Khan, Dev et al.

He has just played 17 away with 34 at home tests, and never in Australia. Yeah I get he missed an away test tour to SA voluntarily at the end of last year, but that was only two tests.

Shakib has the lalent to be an ATG of the game, but through lack of Bangladesh getting appropriate numbers of test matches, he will just be fondly remembered by real cricket fans, and not a househould name in the longevity.

Even his current dearth of test matches has some people believing Ben Stokes is unparalleled as an all rounder today, when I think Shakib has him with both bat and ball in tests, home and away, clearly has Stokes with ball in odi where the batting is tight but Stokes has SR advantage, and Shakib probably triumps both facets again in t20.

Nor do I think Shakib taking some time away from test cricket in 2017/18 changes the fact he has been denied a fair go at the records, and will continue to be denied a fair go at the records.

Botham, Dev, Khan and Sobers are huge pillars in cricket that people with only a passing knowledge of cricket have often heard of or at least accurately say what sport they played. But Shakib in retirement outside of Bangladesh will end up like Aubrey Faulkner that only cricket nerds like us know of.

And I think we have seen this creep into cricket with many records, that soon they will only be obtainable by members of the Big 3, assuming anyone chases down Murali. There's a much wider issue at play. But for this thread, I thought of Shakib's plight is not having the opportunity to break the allrounder records.

I mean lets face it, Stokes will go past Shakib's tallies in a year or two if found not guilty despite just recently missing the 5 test Ashes series. Stokes has barely been around 5 minutes only finally cementing his place in the team during 2015.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I appreciate your warm and polite tone. Thanks Jedi :)

I've been consistent from the get-go. So please assume that my concern is consistent with the topic. The topic is all-rounders who are good but not given a fair-go at international level. My first post position has not waivered.
In that I agree totally. Shakib definitely hasn't played as much as he would if he was Indian for example.

Flem274*

123/5
Every western team would kill for Shakib. Proper spin bowler and proper #6 batsman. Valuable enough for a subcontinental side, even better still for teams with plenty of pace options but less spinners. Can bat #5 if need be and h4x if you go with four bowlers or two allrounders.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not sure where you're going with this to be honest. There's the financial aspect: Chappell had different avenues to pursue than international cricket to make money, as does Shakib, so they both missed a tour as that pays less?

Then there's the health aspect: Chapell may have got sick if he toured, Shakib said he was already exhausted and wanted some time off to recover. And Greg Chappell of all people will understand the effects of exhaustion as that is what he believes led to his underarm decision.

Then you bring up supporting a young family: which Shakib also does.

And then your clincher is that Shakib is reportedly already rich (but we don't really know how much he has blown or invested into losses) - but what this has to do with anything is unclear except that it gives Shakib no financial incentive to play tours that he doesn't want to, like Chappel. And also Shakib, like Chappell, may want to continue accumulating more wealth. He may be happy with his lot now. But if he thought playing exhausted would limit his opportunities or effect his health, either way this is an issue. Shakib may soon decide he has enough money to priortise tests over t20 when feeling exhausted. He may now have sufficient stamina. He may have been sued if he missed his T20 contract requirements, or lose his potential market value in the future as being seen as a ricky pick who won't show up. And we don't know what his views and values as a young man before having a wife and kids.

Intuitively this may all seem like a poor analogy to you. But on the factual comparison, it has more than sufficient similarity. Just missing a tour or two, is a small piece of the career-tapestry of many cricketers, that does not wipe out arguments about their entire careers. It influences the weight of them, sure. But its no death blow immediate descent into unreasonableness.
I'm not sure if you're dense, or a troll. Really unsure tbh.

I dont think my point, or the point Jedi is making could be clearer.

This thread is talking about all-rounders who didn't get sufficient opportunity at the top level. Someone mentioned Shakib. Someone mentioned he missed a SA tour where he would have got a chance to play against a top team.

You mentioned Chappell and Lillee, and it was pointed out that for them there was more at stake (financially and health wise) to do certain tours at the time, in that era.

Any player can miss any tour, it's up to him. But the obvious consensus here is that a guy of Shakib's talent would surely want to be available for every test he can. No one's gonna judge him if there's a reason he can't play, but speculating on that isn't gonna help. Fact is, he missed a tour he probably should've gone on.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I'm not sure if you're dense, or a troll. Really unsure tbh.
Oh dear.

I dont think my point, or the point Jedi is making could be clearer.
Jedi has already agreed with my point. I thought that would be the end of this.

This thread is talking about all-rounders who didn't get sufficient opportunity at the top level.
Accurately it was top quality all-rounders not given a fair go at international level.

Someone mentioned Shakib.
That was me.

Someone mentioned he missed a SA tour
That was me.

where he would have got a chance to play against a top team.
I agree that SA are a top team.

You mentioned Chappell and Lillee, and it was pointed out that for them there was more at stake (financially and health wise) to do certain tours at the time, in that era.
But there are finances and health at stake in this era too unless you don't think exhaustion is within the realm of being a health issue. I am not a doctor, but I am pretty sure it will be in their books.

]Any player can miss any tour, it's up to him. But the obvious consensus here is that a guy of Shakib's talent would surely want to be available for every test he can.
Why not every talented player? How is Chappel's and Lillee's talents differing to Shakibs? What is your point here?

] No one's gonna judge him if there's a reason he can't play, but speculating on that isn't gonna help. Fact is, he missed a tour he probably should've gone on.
He asked for time off to recover from exhaustion. That isn't specualtion.

Even if Shakib had played all games in 2017/18 - he has still been denied the opportunity to chase down the records.

I don't want to get offside with half the forum just because I think Shakib has missed out on some records and soon Ben Stokes will overtake his tallies despite only becomming a fixture on the cricket landscape since 2015 with inferior overall results, at least by way of averages.

But I am hardly being dense, and if I were going to troll, wouldn't I choose a more contentious topic than Shakib being Bangladeshi means he got less opportunties to play more tests and chase down more records and thus stand higher with the game's ATG's? Plenty of ATG level cricketers have missed tours for health, money or whatever reasons. So lets be consistent here. They don't instantly lose all credit to their career arguments, whatever they may be, as a result, And let's be honest, if I had wanted to be a real prick in this argument, I would have brought up the 2 whole seasons that Lillee and Chappell missed playing WSC for money instead of tests. But I didn't. I didn't need to. I just stuck to missed tours while current test players. And despite these two years, these guys from the 1970's and 80's had more available tests to play to chase records than Shakib does in the modern day era. Lillee in about 13 years worth, 11 after WSC discount - had enough time to be the world's leading wicket taker. Shakib is still nearly 20 tests behind him still after the 11 year give or take time period (SA tour and 2107/18 missed or not) - and Lillee missed more tests through actual injury, even if Shakib missed some of 2017/18. And I don't believe that we, as a majority of fans, don't look at the longevity in matches played as a factor in assessing a player's career performance, let alone more matches means more chances at records. I love what WSC meant for odi cricket and all cricketers increased pay packets, but at the same time I think we may be too swift to condemn as guilty and villify today's t20 supposed "mercenaries" and their international legqacy/claims as disregarding international cricket altogether. A difference for me is that Shakib unlike AbdV has not ever stated that he does not care about records, while even if he doesn't, he has still been unarguably been denied the opportunity to get close to them to either increase his level of care let alone surpass them. People miss tours - especially after when 30 married with kids, that does not instantly change their career legacy. Does my post invite comments about inequality of pay between non Big 3 nations let alone test availabiltiy for them. Sure it does. I freely admit this. These are sub issues. But geographical accident of birth effects a player's choices. Is it dense or trolling? No. So is it a fair go that cricketer born in Bangladesh will have a vastly different career to the same cricketer born elsewhere in a big 3 nation paid much much more for internationals than t20 leagues? This is actually the crucial the question to discuss. What is a fair go? Is player meritocracy limited to where the cervix is located that you popped out of - everything else is in due respect is merely red herring to try and desperately distinguish the argument on intuition as how repulsive of the non Big 3 nation t20 players of today may seem to you personally as against that of GChappel and Lillee missing tours for personal- money or whatever reasons. Sure t20 is less of a factor for Big 3 members when international cricket for them pays more than t20 leagues. How can it not? On any reasoning - financial or national pride. But even when SA cricketers are the best in the world, they're the fourth at best paid which is still often less than English county cricketers - are they getting a fair go from the international cricket market? If so - why are are Mornel Morkel and Kyle Abbott joining county at the expense of international cricket? And despite this, unlike Shakib, at least they get more games available to play at international level (becuase more of the SA team are good and in form). So is a talent like Shakib given a fair go? Or should we simply disregard any non-Big 3 team players and those with weaker team mates than SA as deserving of more opportunity instantly? These are the wider issues that are actually relevant, unlike Greg Chappel's actual business interests outside cricket. Money is money. Games available for records are games available. The rest is all a smoke screen that seems intuitively different but in effect is the same debates that many players have struggled with for decades: health in its many forms coupled with money.

Red Hill, you seem like a good bloke. Please put a fork in it. This one is done as far as I am concerned. I am frankly exhausted about talking about Shakib right now. As the rest of us are probably tired of reading about him. There are sensitive nuances to this arguement, but I'm not trolling in my belief, and I can tell you trying to differentiate Chappell and Lillee is a red herring. The ultimate question regardless of your feelings, is whether the current international cricketer situation is a fair go for players of nations including those outside the big 3? That is where you should be focussing to attack the strength of my analogy, not on Chappell and Lillee. I chose them deliberately. Now you could say that outside the big 3 - all cricketers have less opportunties, all you then have to explain is why that is a fair go. If you don't like that argument, surprise me. But trying to distinguish Lillee and Chappell both is a loser in this argument that I deliberately chose to make my point, no matter how intuitively different you feel them to be from Shakib, not to troll or be dense.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Whereas anytime Allan Border dominates a thread it's only because of Burgey #Truth #RealStar #CantEvenKeepANickname

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nash was a dweeby little b***h. Didn't deserve to share a dressing room with Testosterone-oozing monsters like Tino Best

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Peter Trego. Will Gidman. Both would rocked international cricket if they got the chance but weren't selected at their peak because of ecb bias - at least that's what some people told me.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I always get pelted with abuse on here for mentioning Trego as a (lost) England prospect, but he is a very fine cricketer and England lacked a decent allrounder between Fred and Stokes which was when Trego was at his peak.