• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
See no evil on the field, maybe... does not mean they don't know what evil is being done through discussion off the field. When you elect somebody to do a job like look after the ball, you gonna want to know that he can do the job as a bowler.
Seems a little presumptuous. If the bowler can identify the sides of the ball when it's handed to him and make it swing*, he'll be able to do it regardless of how the ball reached the state it was in. And I'm not sure a bowler would be any more privy to decisions taken off the ground than on it.

But could Bancroft do the job as bowler?

*In my experience, one does not necessarily imply the other.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it wouldn't totally surprise if Warner was the one behind the idea; I reckon Warner would've been driven more by bitterness over the verbals directed towards his wife moreso than SA's past record with ball tampering.

But while Henriques is trying to defend Smith as captain, even if his theory his true (which I don't really believe) it actually makes Smith look worse. It just makes him look like a feckless, weak leader who has no real authority on the culture of the team which is largely driven by Warner and Lehmann.

Like I posted earlier, I reckon as bad as the punishment Smith could get from this, I reckon the alienating the likes of Starc & Hazlewood could do him even more long-term damage. If they see that he implicated him falsely in this plan than that could lead to some serious bitterness when Smith does return. I wonder if one of the reasons Smith stood down during the Test was because Starc & Hazlewood didn't want to deal with him?
He can't be in a leadership role, that's all. As a batsman who puts his head down and scores runs, this won't be an issue.

Starc, Hazlewood and Smith have known each other for years, I'd be surprised if they couldn't sort it out between themselves.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
DIY sandpaper - that is what it was. Make your own sandpaper.

Bancroft (or whoever led the scheme) did not even have the brains to bring a strip of genuine sandpaper haha! And combined with the ''down the pants it goes'' job when Lehman relayed Handscomb that the game was up, and the subsequent production of the cloth in front of the umpires, it may just be the most hair-brained bit of cheating in the history of sport.
In fairness, I don't think an improvised plan leaves time to run down to the hardware store and grab some real sandpaper. Why the hell they thought it would work on the other hand...

The funny thing in all this massive hullabaloo is that this particular plan for ball tampering was probably the worst and most poorly executed of any that has come to light. How the hell is a bit of grit from the pitch on a very flexible backing going to roughen up the ball more than just bowling the damn thing?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The thing is, with real sandpaper it will be far more effective than some bit of sticky tape with a bit of soil on it, and therefore you'd probably need less of it so it would be less conspicuous. Maybe they couldn't find a DIY shop in Cape Town?

Spark

Global Moderator
Andrew Gregory @andrewgregory
Theresa May "shocked" and "bitterly disappointed" by Australia cricket cheating scandal. Spokesman adds: "The Prime Minister is clear that cheating has absolutely no place in cricket or indeed in any sport."

Yeah look this is getting dumb now.

Spark

Global Moderator
In fairness, I don't think an improvised plan leaves time to run down to the hardware store and grab some real sandpaper. Why the hell they thought it would work on the other hand...

The funny thing in all this massive hullabaloo is that this particular plan for ball tampering was probably the worst and most poorly executed of any that has come to light. How the hell is a bit of grit from the pitch on a very flexible backing going to roughen up the ball more than just bowling the damn thing?
The best thing is that it didn't even work to the stage that the umpires changed the ball, which surely would have been the case on the slightest bit of evidence of unusual physical wear.

Gnske

Theresa May "shocked" and "bitterly disappointed" by Australia cricket cheating scandal. Spokesman adds: "The Prime Minister is clear that cheating has absolutely no place in cricket or indeed in any sport."

I'll take this over the hot takes we got from those Vic MPs

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
While all the focus has understandably been on Smith, it's easy to forget how much damage Warner has done to his own career on this tour.

I think the seeds of his downfall began at the start of last year's Ashes where he was talking about how he was boasting about becoming his old antagonistic self and was even saying that referees/umps should ignore abrasive confrontations during Ashes contests and treat them like they do in State Of Origin rugby league series! Really when a side's vice captain has that mindset is it any surprise it can all totally blow up like this?

One would've thought the responsibility of leadership and that imo he was a far more natural leader than Smith would've compelled him to grow up and leave his antagonistic style behind, especially as he'd stayed out of trouble for a few years and his star had continued to rise. Permanent leadership of the T20 side (and possibly the ODI side as well) was just around the corner for him but it's now all turned to dust.

Last edited:

Starfighter

The thing is, with real sandpaper it will be far more effective than some bit of sticky tape with a bit of soil on it, and therefore you'd probably need less of it so it would be less conspicuous. Maybe they couldn't find a DIY shop in Cape Town?
Read the first sentence of my comment again.

Of course sticky-backed sandpaper would be great.

Shri

Mr. Glass
While all the focus has understandably been on Warner, it's easy to forget how much damage Warner has done to his own career on this tour.

I think the seeds of his downfall began at the start of last year's Ashes where he was talking about how he was boasting about becoming his old antagonistic self and was even saying that referees/umps should ignore abrasive confrontations during Ashes contests and treat them like they do in State Of Origin rugby league series! Really when a side's vice captain has that mindset is it any surprise it can all totally blow up like this?

One would've thought the responsibility of leadership and that imo he was a far more natural leader than Smith would've compelled him to grow up and leave his antagonistic style behind, especially as he'd stayed out of trouble for a few years and his star had continued to rise. Permanent leadership of the T20 side (and possibly the ODI side as well) was just around the corner for him but it's now all turned to dust.
You don't expect to work with a man child like Lehmann though. He needed the influence of a decent person and he didn't get it.

Gnske

You don't expect to work with a man child like Lehmann though. He needed the influence of a decent person and he didn't get it.
Is it just me or has Lehmann outlived his use for some time now?

Like at the time it was clear we needed a racist drunk to bring the old Australian spirit back into the team, but it feels like we've been past needing that for awhile.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yep, that's exactly what first crossed my mind when I read that the Govt were swinging their dicks by decrying the players actions and motioning for Smith's axing. Ffs Turnbull, it's got literally nothing to do with you. You can spit your worthless PR tripe all you want, just stay out of the game. Please.

Guess Aussies can no longer say their govt doesn't interfere with the actions of their cricket board either.
Yeah, but Australian cricket has cultivated itself as the national sport that represents the character and spirit of Australians that politics being intertwined like this is inevitable. I mean, we have the Prime Minister's XI game every season (whether the PM likes cricket or not) and even have the PM do a stint of commentary on radio and TV at the SCG Test every summer, even when it's someone who doesn't care about cricket like Turnbull. When it's suited them Australian cricket has loved politicians fawning over the game and treating it with such reverence. But when things go awry you've got to take it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Y

:laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, but Australian cricket has cultivated itself as the national sport that represents the character and spirit of Australians that politics being intertwined like this is inevitable. I mean, we have the Prime Minister's XI game every season (whether the PM likes cricket or not) and even have the PM do a stint of commentary on radio and TV at the SCG Test every summer, even when it's someone who doesn't care about cricket like Turnbull. When it's suited them Australian cricket has loved politicians fawning over the game and treating it with such reverence. But when things go awry you've got to take it.
Would really dispute that such actions are super popular and demanded by the cricket community, as opposed to a patently transparent attempt to accrue popularity in the bright reflection of something people actually like.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Fair point. Probably hasn't helped that someone as abrasive and obnoxious as Brad Haddin has joined the coaching staff.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seriously though, I think I've had my share of laughing at Australia now. Hopefully this overblown reaction dies down quickly.

StephenZA

Seems a little presumptuous. If the bowler can identify the sides of the ball when it's handed to him and make it swing*, he'll be able to do it regardless of how the ball reached the state it was in. And I'm not sure a bowler would be any more privy to decisions taken off the ground than on it.

But could Bancroft do the job as bowler?

*In my experience, one does not necessarily imply the other.
It is presumptuous to believe that the bowlers, who's job it is to use the ball, know how the ball is being treated by other players on the field?

Last edited: