• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, to be honest the Aussie public reaction to this is just a bit of national denial-ism. The fabled "line" was brought into by everyone, and it never existed so now it's crumbling it has caused a moral panic.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, to be honest the Aussie public reaction to this is just a bit of national denial-ism. The fabled "line" was brought into by everyone, and it never existed so now it's crumbling it has caused a moral panic.
Yeah. Remember Steven Waugh was always a bit of a dick during his playing career. Used to claim catches and even got a SA player dismissed when he was strolling after the ball was done. The South Africans just showed up Australian hypocrisy and I am glad they did.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, that's exactly what first crossed my mind when I read that the Govt were swinging their dicks by decrying the players actions and motioning for Smith's axing. Ffs Turnbull, it's got literally nothing to do with you. You can spit your worthless PR tripe all you want, just stay out of the game. Please.

Guess Aussies can no longer say their govt doesn't interfere with the actions of their cricket board either.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I wonder how big of an arrogant idiot Warner is. He is infamous for being rude to fans who pursue him for autographs. His comments on Trott shocked me at the time. He seems to be some one who isn't that nice to be honest.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is exactly it. Australians above all want a good, fair contest as long as it's on their terms. Cheating is what losers do and the national cricket team aren't losers, not even in the 80s nadir. Not until now.
Added in the bold for accuracy.

I actually think the bigger story to come out of this tour is Australia's reaction to crowd chants and the Warner/de Kock fiasco. Both of those have been astonishingly hypocritical.

Anyone who's historically objected to Australia's sledging culture has been told 'man up, this is how we play cricket.' South Africa stand up to them and fight fire with fire and the Australians suddenly start whingeing about a line being crossed.

Absolutely pathetic from the country who championed mental disintegration.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I mean in the end I don't actually think Warne should be condemned forever or anything like that. He did what he did, got an appropriate penalty and served it, and as far as I'm concerned that should be the end of it. But the lack of effect it had on the public estimation of him compared to what's going to happen to Smith is notable and can only be down to Warne being perceived as the "right sort of bloke" and playing in an exceptionally successful side.
There's also an element of plausible deniability when it comes to Warne's actions. It's not 100% clear that he was up to anything shady. Warne didn't test positive for a PED, he tested positive for an agent which could mask PED use. His defence however, is plausible.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@Furball Maybe, but saying his mum gave it to him and him being a general arrogant fellow with the betting on games, smashing kids cameras etc, he doesn't come up as morally sound or an angel.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair, the people who are saying this also by and large don't post here.

I imagine somewhere like ******** or Whirlpool is a "fun" read right now. edit: wait that's filtered? lmao
Apparently there was a lot of spam back in the day from there.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. Remember Steven Waugh was always a bit of a dick during his playing career. Used to claim catches and even got a SA player dismissed when he was strolling after the ball was done. The South Africans just showed up Australian hypocrisy and I am glad they did.
Don't compare Waugh with this bunch.

michaelm

Cricket Spectator
AKA a typical Australian childhood then

:ph34r:
Hah! Funny!...But not fair. Aussie sportspeople - by and large - are not cheats and not brought up to be cheats. It's that upper echelon of sport in all forms nowadays...lower down the ranks I really don't think there's much of a problem anywhere in the world...but go to top level cricket, athletics, swimming, football (all codes), cycling(!!)...it's so entrenched...The mighty dollar does strange things to people.