• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but only Broad gets slaughtered for it by you Aussies.

"I hope the Australian public give it to him for the whole summer and I hope he cries and goes home" Words from Lehmann the same guy who cried about South African fans giving some stick to the Australian players. Do as we say not as we do once more.
Because the Australian public are idiots. I never had an issue with the Broad thing. Most people wouldn't have walked.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I thought so but obviously not

I specifically stated "if anything". I didn't say I thought it was a definitive fact. I then followed that up by specifically stating definitely not more so. I thought it was clear but can see why you were confused.

I was probably too harsh on you, but you clearly did misunderstand not just my comment, but the entire reason I posted it in the first place, which annoys me particularly when I've tried with my wording to avoid exactly the kind of reaction you had.
No. Your post was just ****ing dumb. I still have no clue what you were talking about anyway.

And I don't hav time to wait for you to try and explain it further lol you kid.

TheJediBrah

No. Your post was just ****ing dumb. I still have no clue what you were talking about anyway.

And I don't hav time to wait for you to try and explain it further lol you kid.
Literally what I said was that the claim that Australia are rightfully famous for not walking was bull****. How is that so hard to understand?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's amazing how the post-Waugh/Ponting era fans all push this ridiculous idea that Aussie teams are this great evil. The same thing happened in and around the Windies era as well. The sporting world hates a winner, especially one who is perceived as arrogant.

It's easy to get upset at any minor indiscretion when your side is losing. Look at how NSW fans perceived the Queensland forward pack in the state of origin despite being captained by Paul Gallon.

The fact is though that the Aussie team to this point has been no worse than any other team. Certainly there has never been any threats of walking off and going home when things don't go our way. Nor has there been any major indiscretions in the last couple of years before this series.

Certainly the Australian public have a line which they think shouldn't be crossed and Steve Smith crossed it.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
So apparently the Aussies cheated during the ashes as well using the same tactics with footage of bankcroft putting sugar in his pocket. LOL

stephen

Yeah but only Broad gets slaughtered for it by you Aussies.

"I hope the Australian public give it to him for the whole summer and I hope he cries and goes home" Words from Lehmann the same guy who cried about South African fans giving some stick to the Australian players. Do as we say not as we do once more.
Broad getting slaughtered by Aussies for it is more of a tongue in cheek kind of thing, a bit like the "medium pacer" saga. He's a pantomime villain over here. Nobody seriously has any issue with him not walking any more than they have with Symonds not walking in '08.

StephenZA

TBF I do think that Australia being annoyed at Rabada getting off was an influencing factor towards them trying a stunt like this.
Probably..... but if maybe the Aussies had not walked into the series with an attitude to push the line, sledge near to the line (but not cross!) and just behaved like basic decent guys. Tempers flare now and again (happened in Ind/SA series) part of any competitive sport, but this deliberate goading and antagonistic attitude is just poor. And ultimately what has happened, is when the SA team (and crowds) gave them back their own medicine, Aus threw their toys out of the cot, felt under extreme pressure and then decided that cheating was an acceptable option? But now SA partly instigated it and therefore partly to blame?

cnerd123

likes this
Literally what I said was that the claim that Australia are rightfully famous for not walking was bull****. How is that so hard to understand?
But they are famous for that. Just because Gilly was famous for the opposite doesn't change things.

I mean a bit of simple googling brings up this gem:

"When England visited Australia in 1982-83 they made a collective decision not to walk, the logic being the Australians never did so why should they. It was once said that an Australian only ever walks when his car breaks down."

On top of that, apparently back in the 1960s the only professional cricketers who still walked were English. Derek Pringle in 1995 in Wisden describes it as a "very English phenomenon"

The Australians have always pushed the rules to their limits. Always. Never once as the word 'Fair' been used to describe the Australian cricket team unless it was coming from the mouths of an Australian themselves. They aren't 'no worse' than the other teams - they are significantly worse. And when people give them a taste of their own medicine they throw their hands up and cry foul play.

You need to understand that TJB. Understand why this thread has blown up to 22 pages (40 ppp master race) of fans from every nation relishing this. It's not mere jealousy. It's the joy of hypocrites getting caught in the act.

TheJediBrah

So apparently the Aussies cheated during the ashes as well using the same tactics with footage of bankcroft putting sugar in his pocket. LOL
I'd be happy to give England that ashes as recompense if they give us 2005 in return where they did the same thing, and actually got reverse swing out of it

Starfighter

On top of that, apparently back in the 1960s the only professional cricketers who still walked were English. Derek Pringle in 1995 in Wisden describes it as a "very English phenomenon"
Funny, I recall once reading an article, it may have been on cricinfo, it might even have been on here, in which it was mentioned that walking was one thing that wasn't done in English professional cricket, I think up until the nineteen-twenties or so at least, and certainly before WWI, and that it was actually looked down upon for some reason or another. The idea that it is fair play or whatever seems to have become more popular recently, possibly post WWII?

Starfighter

In all this discussion, does anyone know what grit sandpaper he was using?

That's somewhat serious. I'd have though you'd have to use something like 30 grit or so and actually score the leather for the tactic to be successful (it was often mentioned that Pakistani balls from the nineties tended to have deep gouges in them). I don't think finer stuff would work all that well, not more so than natural wear.

TheJediBrah

Walking is technically disobeying the umpires decision. If you expect people to walk when they are given not out incorrectly then you should expect them to stand their ground and not leave the field if given out incorrectly. But I digress.

flibbertyjibber

Yes that's what we were talking about
As Broad says, they got the ball reversing well in the ashes when we couldn't so why have they changed tactics all of a sudden in SA?

Not difficult to work out what is being intimated there and he is right.

Would it have changed the result? No as we aren't good enough anyway but it would have been a closer series I think.

Borges

International Regular
> Now a days, no one walks; but there was a time when 'never walking' was a unique Australian trait.
>>
Was there?

Yes. And they weren't apologetic about it; they had no reason to be - they were honest about it. There was no 'if the umpire will definitely rule me out caught behind, then I'll walk without waiting to be given out, otherwise let me hang around and plant some doubt in his mind.' They consistently followed the simple rule: 'I don't walk till I am given out'. (I'm talking about the pre Allan Border era here).