• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Borges

International Regular
Now a days, no one walks; but there was a time when 'never walking' was a unique Australian trait.

To be fair to the Australians, their argument for 'not walking' did have merit. It went something like this:
if the umpire makes a mistake and rules me out, I have to walk; so it is only fair that I don't walk on my own and forfeit the chance of a compensatory mistake by which I'm ruled not out.

This was long ago; before the rules of cricket was bastardised by substituting 'in the opinion of DRS' for 'in the opinion of the umpire'.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not being a dick Brah but this is exactly what we've been talking about.......this genuine belief that some of you have that the Aussies are better than the rest in these regards. They aren't mate and never have been.
And ftr I don't have this belief at all. I just don't think Australia are any worse than other teams, despite what rabid fans from around the world try to claim.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know flying off the handle and not actually reading what you're responding to is a trademark of yours, but give it a go at least once in a while. Notice the words "if anything" and "not more so". I never said Australia definitively walk more than other teams.

I was responding directly to an absurd statement indicating that Australia "walk" less than other teams. And ftr the only incident I had in mind was Adam Gilchrist, given what a unique situation it was (actually being given not out, then deciding to walk). I never said "Australia definitely walk more than other teams". Literally just refuting that one dumb statement.

try to READ and UNDERSTAND before you fly off the handle next time
Christ you can act like a tool sometimes. How did i fly off the handle? I deliberately made an effort to word my post so you wouldnt take offense and turn this into yet another **** fight.......as the posting in here has largely been terrific.

Good work.......and you are wrong here. Very wrong.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Idiotic post. Players from every team have done this, many times. If you think this is remotely relevant to the discussion then you're not worth interacting with as a human being.
Sucks when you're proven wrong and have to resort to epithets and aggressive retorts.....

....while overlooking the fact that a Future Australian Captain smashed it to first slip and just stood there

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Christ you can act like a tool sometimes. How did i fly off the handle? I deliberately made an effort to word my post so you wouldnt take offense and turn this into yet another **** fight.......as the posting in here has largely been terrific.

Wrong about what? Can't make any sense of what you're saying here

Your entire post was referring to an assumption you made of something I never actually said . . . not sure how you can't understand that

Sucks when you're proven wrong and have to resort to epithets and aggressive retorts.....

....while overlooking the fact that a Future Australian Captain smashed it to first slip and just stood there
Not sure if srs. Do I really need to sit here and explain to you point by point how irrelevant that is to the point and how stupid it is that you posted it?

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
And ftr I don't have this belief at all. I just don't think Australia are any worse than other teams, despite what rabid fans from around the world try to claim.
Your exact words were.....

lol how do you relate "not walking" to Australia? If anything Australia have more of a history of walking when out than other teams, and definitely not more so.
So clearly you think your better.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Wrong about what? Can't make any sense of what you're saying here

Your entire post was referring to an assumption you made of something I never actually said . . . not sure how you can't understand that

Not sure if srs. Do I really need to sit here and explain to you point by point how irrelevant that is to the point and how stupid it is that you posted it?
Do you behave like this in real life or just online?

TheJediBrah

That's what genuinely annoys me sometimes, because that is exactly what I did. I worded it very carefully to avoid anyone misunderstanding in exactly the way that you did.

TheJediBrah

As I said that "if anything" was referring purely to the Adam Gilchrist incident, because of it's unique nature. My actual point was that Australia aren't any worse, which I tried to make obvious, but obviously not well enough.

(It's "you're" btw, just a friendly reminder, I really don't mean to be a dick)

howardj

International Coach
If Australia have to go with a clean-skin captaincy option for the start of the next Summer, I'm tipping MMarsh or Pat Cummins

#freshfaced

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
A lot of the ‘Aussie way’ gentlemanly conduct stuff goes back to bradman as well as the 90s team (perhaps erroneously methinks), obvious consequence of building an entire nations sporting identity around one man.

TheJediBrah

Do you behave like this in real life or just online?
You've answered my question

I could post a video of Glenn McGrath hitting a 6 and then claim that Glenn McGrath always hit more 6s and scored more runs than everyone else. That's your logic.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at the quote above mate.....your comment was very clear and concise. And seriously piss off with this flying off the handle crap.....there was nothing in my 1st reply to you that was antagonistic.......you are the one that took this there

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
If Australia have to go with a clean-skin captaincy option for the start of the next Summer, I'm tipping MMarsh or Pat Cummins

#freshfaced
Cummins would surely spend too much of his time in the field exhausted to be effective, you seen the way he steams in?

cnerd123

likes this

Yea TJB you definitely tried to argue that Australia set the trend of 'walking' throughout the history of cricket, that this noble act was generated by Australians and imitated by others.

I'd argue the opposite is true though - the Aussies were amongst the first to refuse to walk, and to appeal aggressively, and were quick to jump behind the 'It's the umpire's job to make decisions and mine to respect them' rhetoric. And to be fair that is a correct statement, and one I also believe in. But it does show how deep this Mythology of the beauty of Australian Sportsmanship runs when fans such as yourself actually believe that Australian cricketers, at best, set the trend for noble behaviour, and at worst, 'are no worse than anyone else'.

The truth is, Australians have always been dirty, rule-pushing, two faced cricketers who were as quick to break the rules as they are to call others out on it. They've always been nasty and been perceived as such by anyone who doesn't support them. It's only now that this Myth is starting to be widely exposed.

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I don't think not walking translates to some sort of cheating. Every team has done that. It also shows the price they put on their wickets, which is in my opinion a positive thing. With DRS non-walking is becoming a thing of past. What I don't like is the hypocrisy of some fans trying to take a holier-than-thou attitude on these matters. Lehmann in 2013 tried to talk this stance and I think he deserves all the scorn that he can get for that. Not even Gilchrist, the much 'halo'ed messiah of walking, walked every time (check out the Caddick match in 2003 Ashes).

On topic, Sir Don Roadman deserves all what he is getting now. The fact that he is next to sliced bread in test cricket batting is not a relevant factor at all in terms of meting out the punishment. He has cheated. Yes, he pleaded guilty but that doesn't dilute the quantum of punishment either, for that was clearly forced by him having no choice given the overwhelming evidence. On the contrary, his steadfast refusal to resign as captain showed his despotic tendencies as a leader. He cannot ever get anywhere near any leadership role in cricket in the future. As to his ban, he deserves at least a year but I am sure commercial considerations will ensure that he'll get off with a 6 monther and be back in time for the moneyspinning Indian series later this year.

For me the defining outcome is the end of Aussie hypocrisy about being above all others with their "hard but fair" brand of cricket.

flibbertyjibber

Idiotic post. Players from every team have done this, many times. If you think this is remotely relevant to the discussion then you're not worth interacting with as a human being.
Yeah but only Broad gets slaughtered for it by you Aussies.

"I hope the Australian public give it to him for the whole summer and I hope he cries and goes home" Words from Lehmann the same guy who cried about South African fans giving some stick to the Australian players. Do as we say not as we do once more.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see how it merits a ban of anywhere near a year. Especially as other recent cases haven't gotten anymore than whatever the ICC sanction was.

TheJediBrah

Look at the quote above mate.....your comment was very clear and concise. And seriously piss off with this flying off the handle crap.....there was nothing in my 1st reply to you that was antagonistic.......you are the one that took this there
I thought so but obviously not

lol how do you relate "not walking" to Australia? If anything Australia have more of a history of walking when out than other teams, and definitely not more so.
I specifically stated "if anything". I didn't say I thought it was a definitive fact. I then followed that up by specifically stating definitely not more so. I thought it was clear but can see why you were confused.

I was probably too harsh on you, but you clearly did misunderstand not just my comment, but the entire reason I posted it in the first place, which annoys me particularly when I've tried with my wording to avoid exactly the kind of reaction you had.