• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matthew Guy MP

Verified account

@MatthewGuyMP
Follow Follow @MatthewGuyMP
More
Why would Steve Smith go when the example set by Victoria's Premier is that it's ok to break the rules and cheat. No leadership.

shark_jumping.gif
careful, he'll create an account and block on you on here

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no, he's a ****

I admit I didn't know the ins and outs of the pay war but did the players themselves still benefit ?

You guys will know Dorries more than me so he probably was coming in off his full run.
they benefited, but if CA had their way, Smith and Warner would have benefited more than than in the deal they got

Bolo

State Captain
This is a surefire way to make sure the future response to any incident of this kind is just relentless denial, if "intent" is the critical thing and not the actual act.
Intent is always a poor defence, because it can never be proven. Except in this case. The fact that they came forward of their own accord is sufficient to prove intent, because there is zero reason for them to have done so unless the intent defence is accurate.

Regardless of what you think of the ball tampering itself (not justifiable IMO, but better than most tampering), the way they conducted themselves afterwards was extremely principled, and that sets the incident apart from this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Intent is always a poor defence, because it can never be proven. Except in this case. The fact that they came forward of their own accord is sufficient to prove intent, because there is zero reason for them to have done so unless the intent defence is accurate.

Regardless of what you think of the ball tampering itself (not justifiable IMO, but better than most tampering), the way they conducted themselves afterwards was extremely principled, and that sets the incident apart from this.
To me that's a reason for not considering intent that carefully, and just focussing on the actual provable actions that happened.

Bolo

State Captain
To me that's a reason for not considering intent that carefully, and just focussing on the actual provable actions that happened.
This is how future incidents should be handled. Looking at intent sets a very poor precedent. This case is truly exceptional though. We'll never see another instance of a team cheating and falling on their sword by admitting to it without being caught- there's too much professionalism in cricket these days

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I know nothing about Australian politics. But from this episode it sounds like their politicians are even worse than these cricketers.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
As this appears to have come out of a 'team discussion' did not one member of this 'team' raise a hand and say "this is wrong"?

Bancroft loses 100% of his match fee, Smith the same and out of the next Test.

I saw earlier that under disciplinary regulations ball tampering was an immediate 2 Test ban.

CA will surely have to do rather more in the case of Smith.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
As this appears to have come out of a 'team discussion' did not one member of this 'team' raise a hand and say "this is wrong"?
Cricketers do not consider this wrong though and this is why the official response to it is so amusing. The South African team response in 2016 was telling. The entire team came out in defense and said they did nothing wrong.

I mean back when Faf was banned, Smith and Warner knew that they do the same thing and they still claimed the moral high ground.

That's pretty much what Imran Khan wrote in his book, and the reaction to it was the same 'how can you say in public what everyone knows and keeps under the rug'

Smith doesn't believe the things he said in the press conference yesterday. This was not the first time and they will do it again. They will just try not to get caught.