• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think "legalised" is the wrong term. Just a less restrictive approach as to what is considered "tampering".
Right. You can never really define what's allowed and what isn't. Would be a cluster ****. Generally being a bit lenient with it but taking tough action when someone does something blatant is the right way to handle it. And that's basically how it's done now.

Spark

Global Moderator
You get my point though- if you say it's a level playing field for bending the rules then it just becomes about who can bend them the most efficiently. I'd rather see the extremeness of this incident as a chance to crack down on tampering in all it's form.
Well, no, that's not what was happening there.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Well, no, that's not what was happening there.
Another poster was arguing that all ball tampering should be legalized and then it's a level playing field for everyone, my argument was that it become disproportionately important and it would be best to clamp down on it altogether. Maybe didn't express myself perfectly or pick a very good analogy.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Should be a life ban for steve smith and few years each for rest of the leadership group.
Its the same as performance enhancing drugs. All wins under steve smith's captaincy should also be reversed.

Maybe even ban Australia from cricket for a while.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Should be a life ban for steve smith and few years each for rest of the leadership group.
Its the same as performance enhancing drugs. All wins under steve smith's captaincy should also be reversed.

Been all over this thread that this should be taken very seriously, but that's just crazy.

Athlai

Not Terrible
pretty much. this is just the dumb mans version of mccullum/boult/southee moaning about the ball being out of shape until they get one that goes round corners.

should have smashed the ball into the wicket block with a bounce throw or used a short ball spell to get it out of shape.
What? The balls that get replace ARE out of shape.

Spikey

Australia has a lot of things to be more ashamed of as a nation than this.
look mate, Peter Dutton, one of the most important members of the Government, implying that South Africa was uncivilised while he puts asylum seekers in concentration camps was a bit cooked, but this ball tampering thing is much worse

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Look mate, I'm front row centre if there is an opportunity to put the boot into Australian cricket, and this......this is the stuff that dreams are made of. But FMD what a ridiculous post, I can only assume you are joking even if on the face of it your post seems serious.

Whatever the fallout from this it has to be for the betterment of the game. None of what you suggest would lead to that end.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Now Lehman losing his job would certainly be for the betterment of the game.

Edit: Just read the post above and that's horrendous.

TheJediBrah

With you- it's a bit like the "Lance had to get on the roids because everyone else was," then cycling just became about who could get the best dope.

Gonna wind up turning test cricket into a contest of 'who can smuggle the most random destructive stuff onto the field' :laugh: :laugh:
Cycling's been about that for decades. Doesn't mean athleticism isn't the primary factor though. When everyone is on the same **** then the guy who wins is still the best. Lance was the best comfortably.