• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

JRC67

U19 12th Man
This series really has taken cricket from the gutter in to the sewer. Both teams share responsibility but the ICC and both boards need to now sort it out. This notion there is a mythical line separating acceptable abuse from unacceptable abuse needs to be revisited and stricter guidelines and sanctions put in place. Stopping a player batting and bowling for the next innings in the same match would be far more effective than fines and the ridiculous points system.

Spark

Global Moderator
This series really has taken cricket from the gutter in to the sewer. Both teams share responsibility but the ICC and both boards need to now sort it out. This notion there is a mythical line separating acceptable abuse from unacceptable abuse needs to be revisited and stricter guidelines and sanctions put in place. Stopping a player batting and bowling for the next innings in the same match would be far more effective than fines and the ridiculous points system.
"hear me out guys, the points system led to ridiculous outcomes that distorted the series, so the solution is to introduce an even bigger distortion into the series by giving one team a massive advantage for that game"

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That is potentially one of the worst ideas I've heard regarding the issue

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Aussie team really needs to look at how Tasmania haven constructed this innings in the shield final. The guys at the top never let the QLD bowlers get on top, even when they got early poles. The Tassie bats played themselves in and occupied the crease. It meant that partnerships were formed and the middle order could cash in when the going got easier.

Being 5 down in under 40 overs is a disgraceful indictment of our top order.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The Aussie team really needs to look at how Tasmania haven constructed this innings in the shield final. The guys at the top never let the QLD bowlers get on top, even when they got early poles. The Tassie bats played themselves in and occupied the crease. It meant that partnerships were formed and the middle order could cash in when the going got easier.

Being 5 down in under 40 overs is a disgraceful indictment of our top order.
The batting from our seniors has been disgraceful. Warner, Khawaja, Steve and Marsh need a proper paddling out the back.

Bancroft definitely rode his luck and still looks a little shaky outside off stump, but it was a nice innings. That delivery (and lead up) from Philander was just too good.

Congratulations to Morne Morkel as well. I bagged him out in his retirement thread but he seems like a great bloke and it was good to see him reach 300 wickets. I've always enjoyed his bowling style and the bromance between Steyn & Morkel is awesome too

Bahseph

International Debutant
I hope they chucked that guy out of the stadium and gave him a ban. Look, the SA fans on CW are a level headed bunch. We love our cricket and we love beating the Aussies, but we aren't one eyed and appreciate that they are outstanding cricketers and that all the onfield has been the fault of both teams.

That being said, I know that the majority of cricket fans in SA don't get that. It just annoys me that the cricket has been so enthralling yet every few weeks we have to deal with more of this crap. Just distracts from what really should be given attention.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I hope they chucked that guy out of the stadium and gave him a ban. Look, the SA fans on CW are a level headed bunch. We love our cricket and we love beating the Aussies, but we aren't one eyed and appreciate that they are outstanding cricketers and that all the onfield has been the fault of both teams.

That being said, I know that the majority of cricket fans in SA don't get that. It just annoys me that the cricket has been so enthralling yet every few weeks we have to deal with more of this crap. Just distracts from what really should be given attention.
If the ICC hadn't gotten all high and mighty with this points system there wouldn't be any of this rubbish

StephenZA

Is it really that much of a surprise the batting efforts of the Aus top order? In SA where the ball is known to do something against a very very good attack people are surprised by the Aus top order not doing well, when they have a reputation for getting out to and playing to hard at the moving ball. Smith is a bit of a surprise, having been so good, but the question was always could his technique really survive with good bowlers and a moving ball. If I had to talk about a worry it would be the Aus bowling, which has been good but not nearly as effective... I expected more from Hazelwood in particular.

SA have been gifted with an inform de Villiers, and patient Elgar and Amla innings.....

harsh.ag

It takes various combinations of talent, perseverance, familiarity, and luck for batsmen to succeed on these pitches. However, Smith, Khawaja, and Marsh all failed on account of lack of patience yesterday and it's not something any fan wants to see happen together.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I'm with you StephenZA. I don't think Aus have been terrible. It's just not the scores that people expect from them after seeing them in AUS. But I hold firm in my view that you have to lower your expectations when it comes to batting in SA. We hardly get roads. And when we have two top attacks like SA and AUS these collapses shouldn't be totally unexpected. That being said, I worry about when our batsman play flatter pitches. Other than Deano at the moment, who has that real appetite to bat long?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This series has been brilliant, putting all the off-field shenanigans to the side.

StephenZA

I'm with you StephenZA. I don't think Aus have been terrible. It's just not the scores that people expect from them after seeing them in AUS. But I hold firm in my view that you have to lower your expectations when it comes to batting in SA. We hardly get roads. And when we have two top attacks like SA and AUS these collapses shouldn't be totally unexpected. That being said, I worry about when our batsman play flatter pitches. Other than Deano at the moment, who has that real appetite to bat long?
I'm less worried by this... many of our batsmen are the sort to bat long, Faf is out of form, Amla is not what he once was but still both can bat long, and you can see getting a big innings. Markram is a big innings player, that 100 in Durban is typical from him. Our problems have not changed really. 6/7 is the issue, QDK form as well... Overall we have new bowlers coming through, Our batting unit is settled for the next 18 months and hopefully some of the young batsmen at FC start coming through.

Sooner Mulder gets into the team the better for SA on a long term perspective.

the big bambino

International Captain
Is it really that much of a surprise the batting efforts of the Aus top order? In SA where the ball is known to do something against a very very good attack people are surprised by the Aus top order not doing well, when they have a reputation for getting out to and playing to hard at the moving ball. Smith is a bit of a surprise, having been so good, but the question was always could his technique really survive with good bowlers and a moving ball. If I had to talk about a worry it would be the Aus bowling, which has been good but not nearly as effective... I expected more from Hazelwood in particular.

SA have been gifted with an inform de Villiers, and patient Elgar and Amla innings.....

Exactly. What we see here is just how good Aus are without a performing Smith. That is not very. Mediocre. I was worried about Smith tailing off after the ashes and wondered if he’d struggle here. I haven’t seen any of the play but he looked exhausted after our summer and vulnerable in that state on these pitches v these bowlers.