• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

cnerd123

likes this
yes and no. i think it was SS who said once that if cricket had more of an ice hockey view on the biff there would be a lot less said on the field in general.

some of the potential match ups would be pretty hilarious
God I want to say you're trolling but you're so good I don't even know.

Definitely disgusting from the fan tho. Hope he got evicted. Can't even have the most basic respect for the guy who sacrificed his whole life to be a professional cricketer, to represent his country to the best of his ability in the public eye. Nope. I'll sit here, all of 350 pounds, and talk **** to him right after he fails and is going back to the dressing room. Absolute ****.

Spark

Global Moderator
yes and no. i think it was SS who said once that if cricket had more of an ice hockey view on the biff there would be a lot less said on the field in general.

some of the potential match ups would be pretty hilarious
it's almost as if "biff" is worse than mean things being said

cnerd123

likes this
I love how everytime the camera zooms into some sledging happening on the field, Michael Holding just tries to cheekily play it off as something innocent

"Is he complimenting him on the shot, or asking him which movie he is watching tonight?"

No Michael, Mitchell is calling Philander a ****.

Maybe in not so many words, but that's the implied meaning

91Jmay

International Coach
This is class game in prospect. When both teams have slightly **** but slightly brilliant batting line ups + strike bowlers you feel like game is almost constantly on a knife edge.

This is a huge innings for Quinton De Kock, bloke needs a big score and I can see SA losing some early bags

cnerd123

likes this
Flem has a point. While obviously it would be dumb to allow actual physical confrontation on the field, the whole reason the guys are such ****s to each other and always having a moan is because they aren't going to get punched in the face for it. The social norms of 'talk **** get banged' don't apply in the world of professional cricket.

Personally I think this can be solved by a yearly International Cricket MMA Event. Once a year, all the cricketers are forced to fight each other in a cage with 4 ounce gloves. We pair then off in terms of rivalries - Rabada Vs Smith, Dhawan vs Warner, Kohli Vs literally anyone.

It would be perfect. Get all the violence and aggression out there. Sell it as a PPV, the fans will love it. And basically every fight willl consists of atleast one player from a Big 3 Nation so you know the viewership will be good. Win-win-win.

Flem274*

123/5
this is where indian cricket, or whoever you support today, falls down *****. you know what would have solved monkeygate? andrew symonds vs harbhajan singh, the death match.

also the whole steve bucknor/symonds not walking thing. clearly if steve can't hear or see the massive deviation he won't see an indian pacer bowling a beamer either. but instead of solving the situation on field the board threatened to sook and go home.

did india have a bowler over 125kph then? all i can remember is irfan pathan opening the batting.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Definitely disgusting from the fan tho. Hope he got evicted. Can't even have the most basic respect for the guy who sacrificed his whole life to be a professional cricketer, to represent his country to the best of his ability in the public eye. Nope. I'll sit here, all of 350 pounds, and talk **** to him right after he fails and is going back to the dressing room. Absolute ****.
Sacrifice? What do you know about sacrifice ****. Sacrifice is jumping in front of an RPG rocket about to strike your humvee and kill all your friends while touring Kandahar on your first deployment. Sacrifice is not living to see the president walk behind you and hang that medal around your neck with your friends that you saved, and your family, proud beyond words watching you being rewarded for valour.

91Jmay

International Coach
this is where indian cricket, or whoever you support today, falls down *****. you know what would have solved monkeygate? andrew symonds vs harbhajan singh, the death match.

also the whole steve bucknor/symonds not walking thing. clearly if steve can't hear or see the massive deviation he won't see an indian pacer bowling a beamer either. but instead of solving the situation on field the board threatened to sook and go home.

did india have a bowler over 125kph then? all i can remember is irfan pathan opening the batting.
Sorry but anyone who thinks Steve Bucknor wouldn't have absolutely dealt with anyone from than India side they are dreaming. He'd have given Symonds a slap as well just for good measure.

Flem274*

123/5
Sacrifice? What do you know about sacrifice ****. Sacrifice is jumping in front of an RPG rocket about to strike your humvee and kill all your friends while touring Kandahar on your first deployment. Sacrifice is not living to see the president walk behind you and hang that medal around your neck with your friends that you saved, and your family, proud beyond words watching you being rewarded for valour.
how do you hang a medal around the neck of someone who jumped in front of a rocket?

SeamUp

International Coach
It was embarrassing.... but the grounds have been pretty good at ejecting these guys.
We've got our **** in Aus too but don't condone that behaviour. Good to see we acted as CA laid a complaint.

Remember Warne getting serious abuse at Wanderers once.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
not really, but it's because he's an onlooker not involved that it's yuck in this case.

If you want australia and their sledging culture to change then the only way to stop it is to escalate until they mentally capitulate or are too physically threatened by dangerous bowling to open their mouths.

i've said it before and will until the end of time - if the abuse, threats of broken arms, requests for stump mics to be turned off, sarcastic applause inches from your nose during sends off etc affect your side too much for them to compete then your only option is escalation. Australia will not talk if they know they might get injured. David Warner or whoever cannot talk if he's not on the field. You cop your fine and ban from the ICC and move on to the next game, then rinse and repeat.

That is the only option you can take if you can't compete within the cricketing laws against a side that dishes out threats of assault free from consequence.
ok Donald

Stefan9

International Debutant
We've got our **** in Aus too but don't condone that behaviour. Good to see we acted as CA laid a complaint.

Remember Warne getting serious abuse at Wanderers once.
Difference both incidents were in retaliation for Aussie players first abusing SA players. The Warne incident had all to do with how he treated Hudson and warner has to do with how he treated qdk.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Difference both incidents were in retaliation for Aussie players first abusing SA players. The Warne incident had all to do with how he treated Hudson and warner has to do with how he treated qdk.
That's no excuse.... that is for the players to sort out, not for the public to effectively start insulting strangers like its their due right!