• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Heboric

International Debutant
This problem is always going to be there when it's something so subjective that can have such severe consequences. You're going to miss a game because people think you broke some vague rule on conduct? IDK, the whole structure feels a bit wrong.

Having said that, if Rabada has received warnings before then he deserves to be punished for ignoring them. I'm sure there are better ways of conveying your dislike for certain rules/policies without outright breaking them and forcing the match referee's hand.

I still haven't seen what happened btw. Link anyone?
Its in this video:

https://www.supersport.com/cricket/south-africa-v-australia-201718/video/956174

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would agree with TopCat and PEWS and you lot if he had actually done anything. I agree that he should adhere to dumb rules once he's been made aware of them and is under scrutiny.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, **** that. You don't just roll over like that. You really lose when you roll over. Get the authorities to treat actions independently, honestly, and without signalling.

And by "you" here, I mean the SA team and management.
I'm not rolling over at all. I want them to ditch the whole system and I think SA management should fight it to the best of their ability. I just don't think you can say Rabada is without fault here. For an exaggerated example, it'd be like a batsman who thought the lbw law was against the spirit of cricket just padding up all the time because he didn't believe in the rule. I'd agree he was at fault even if I agreed with him about the rule.

StephenZA

No, **** that. You don't just roll over like that. You really lose when you roll over. Get the authorities to treat actions independently, honestly, and without signalling.

And by "you" here, I mean the SA team and management.
When SA have done that they get flack.... even in the last incident with QDK, the minute CSA and management decided to oppose all sorts of comments were being said "why does he not just cop his demerit like Warner did... " even though he really did nothing wrong (provided that sledging is acceptable!).

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
This is getting all a bit Cool hand Luke. I've no problem with Rabada getting banned for that shoulder barge but there was nothing wrong with the Warner celebration. Plenty of people celebrate like that without naming names and are not getting demerit points handed to them.

StephenZA

Not only has he been made aware multiple times, he's even been rubbed out for the same **** before.
What I loved about that was the 'audible' obscenity... hence why Aus wanted the mikes turned down these matches? So if it is not broadcast it is acceptable?

Anyway, I agree it was foolish of Rabada and it should not have happened... but he does get pumped up and loses his head a bit when bowling, it is just what feels like continuous double standards.

harsh.ag

I'm not rolling over at all. I want them to ditch the whole system and I think SA management should fight it to the best of their ability. I just don't think you can say Rabada is without fault here. For an exaggerated example, it'd be like a batsman who thought the lbw law was against the spirit of cricket just padding up all the time because he didn't believe in the rule. I'd agree he was at fault even if I agreed with him about the rule.
Yeah, that's where we disagree here.

Don't think he is at fault even under the current rules.

Gnske

Maybe it's just really, really hard not to scream on the cricket field and follow the most basic rules

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything, you certainly can't say that this series has been short of bravado on the players' behalf.

Great series thus far, RSA should walk this one in. All eyes will shift towards the 3rd Test (not enough IMO). Bring back the 5 Test series.

StephenZA

If anything, you certainly can't say that this series has been short of bravado on the players' behalf.

Great series thus far, RSA should walk this one in. All eyes will shift towards the 3rd Test (not enough IMO). Bring back the 5 Test series.
At least there is 4 tests not just 3.... thinking that TV is getting good viewing for this series, even if stadiums not full.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Four is fine IMO.

I'm sure I'll be disagreeing with myself if it ends up 2-2, but I've felt for a while that four is the perfect number for a Test series between two evenly matched sides.

Bolo

State Captain
So, it's 2nd session day 1. Philander has taken the only two wickets, gone for less than a run an over and is looking like a threat with every ball. The other guys have gone at about 5 an over.

What odds do you need to bet that Philander won't get another wicket all match and will be the most expensive quick for the rest of the match?
Yeah, that's where we disagree here.

Don't think he is at fault even under the current rules.
The shoulder bump is definitely against the rules. Whether or not it would have even been noticed if not for the virtue signalling is a different matter

SeamUp

International Coach
Only one man has retired in the 9000s in test cricket and that was Graeme Smith.

Hashim Amla 8859
Abraham de Villiers 8552

Will they get to 10 000 ?