• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't need to provide a reason to want England to get whitewashed in anything, ever.

Howsie

International Captain
What would your line up be, Howsie?
1. Phillips/Seifert
2. Guptill
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Chapman
6. Munro
7. Astle
8. Santner
11. Boult

Southee should be no guarantee to make this XI as far as I’m concerned. He’s been craptastic with the white ball for yonks now. Give Henry, Ferguson, Milne, Rance, Wheeler, Kuggeleijin and maybe Jamieson a run. You plug a couple of those guys down at nine and ten and all of a sudden you’re tail looks stacked.

New Zealand will go for 350 plus every game if they think de Grandhomme and Munro can get them through 10 overs at this World Cup. It will be all about taking wickets hence why I’d pick Astle every time.

Flem274*

123/5
1. Phillips/Seifert
2. Guptill
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Chapman
6. Munro
7. Astle
8. Santner
11. Boult

Southee should be no guarantee to make this XI as far as I’m concerned. He’s been craptastic with the white ball for yonks now. Give Henry, Ferguson, Milne, Rance, Wheeler, Kuggeleijin and maybe Jamieson a run. You plug a couple of those guys down at nine and ten and all of a sudden you’re tail looks stacked.

New Zealand will go for 350 plus every game if they think de Grandhomme and Munro can get them through 10 overs at this World Cup. It will be all about taking wickets hence why I’d pick Astle every time.
southee out and astle in. is this even howsie?

Zinzan

1. Phillips/Seifert
2. Guptill
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Chapman
6. Munro
7. Astle
8. Santner
11. Boult

Southee should be no guarantee to make this XI as far as I’m concerned. He’s been craptastic with the white ball for yonks now.
Right, how did someone manage to log-in to Howsie's account?

Zinzan

So easy for England. If they bat second, NZ stands no chance at winning. I'm sensing 4-1 drubbing.
Couldn't agree more, I'll be surprised if it's not a 4-1 margin to England from here.

I was surprised NZ got up in the first game, but man when you look across the sides, England look so much stronger on paper, especially with the bat & especially with Stokes back in the side.

I actually think this could be the strongest ODI side to tour NZ for years, and better than the last two S'African sides that won here in 2014-2015 and 2017.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I do agree with this bit, in 2014-15 NZ were all about taking wickets and doing their darndest to bowl sides out. Helped that even Anderson was a certified jammy wicket - taker. Don't know if playing Astle at 7 is the answer but it's worth a shot. Can't see de Grandhomme not being in the lineup though.

Gotta get Henry in there for mine. Offers far more penetrative abilities than Southee even if he's not too good at the death. Was impressive in that last ODI against Pakistan and its a damn shame he gets as little game time as he does.

Flem274*

123/5
I think we can afford one up front only bowler (like Mills was) if the others are firing at the death. Problem is Southee has been our best death bowler this season but often goes missing up front, Boult is good to the tail at the death but not so much top order batsmen and Milne gets injured all the time.

Ferguson has some potential with a nice yorker, slower ball and his speed but yeah it's slim pickings.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we can afford one up front only bowler (like Mills was) if the others are firing at the death. Problem is Southee has been our best death bowler this season but often goes missing up front, Boult is good to the tail at the death but not so much top order batsmen and Milne gets injured all the time.

Ferguson has some potential with a nice yorker, slower ball and his speed but yeah it's slim pickings.
Southee's place in the side should absolutely be up for consideration. In fact I'd drop him tomorrow in ODI cricket. Watching him at the ground, there's no zip to his bowling. I thought the same about him in 2012, before he was dropped. You watch Woakes in particular, I know he's got a couple of extra clicks but he's zipping through off a length, Southee bowls along the deck for the most part. Death bowling, yeah he's decent but I'd rather have a guy who can take wickets up front. That guy is Matt Henry. His ODI record ****s all over Southee's. Dunno why I bother typing all though, because Tim is nigh on undroppable.

That game on Wednesday was one of the most disappointing days I've been to. Could see the deck was absolutely flat as hell when Gup cover drove Woakes well on the up early, par was clearly 280-300+, but no one wanted to accelerate until CdG came in. As someone rightly said, our setting total ability is absolutely atrocious when Gup or Manu don't go big early. When we're forced to score, like Hamilton, we're OK.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
1. Phillips/Seifert
2. Guptill
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Chapman
6. Munro
7. Astle
8. Santner
11. Boult

Good to see a side posted and even one that doesn't auto-pick all the ND players ;). Some interesting ones in there:
- Astle over Sodhi - does the batting sway it or do you just prefer Astle's bowling to Sodhi's in ODIs?
- Keeper opening in place of Munro - is it mainly because that's where those two keepers bat domestically? Munro hasn't done much opening in ODIs yet and in fact his record is worse than opening in T20Is, which seems like something he should be able to correct, imo.
- Munro down the order in place of De Grandhomme - you rate his batting higher?
- Five bowlers - you already said your reason for this but the counterpoint is, with Astle coming in at 7, I can see us turning a lot more great starts of 200/4 after 38 into 260/9 after 50. Just like we have a lot of times recently.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I’d take Sodhi over Astle any day ... he should have had four wickets in the first ODI but for two dropped catches (admittedly one was his own ... but he did make a better fist of it than the one Astle DID catch in the second ODI!). I think with a few games to establish himself in the side he’ll only improve.

Nothing against Astle though, he performed really well when given a shot earlier this season.

Last edited: